Home Forums Chat Forum Another entitled dog owner… 😡

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 594 total)
  • Another entitled dog owner… 😡
  • Cougar

FWIW, I thought both binners’ post and plus-one’s reply were tongue in cheek. Bins, love, read that again through your own filter perhaps?

Cougar

I’ve written a number of replies just now and deleted them all.

If the argument is “she usually…” then it’s not good enough. If it’s “if he does then I apologise…” then it’s not good enough. If you’re walking your pooch out in public and you don’t have 100% recall then put it on a lead and find somewhere away from people and other animals to train it until you do.

I went for a walk last week with a mate and his dog, some black retriever. We’d encounter another dog and he’d go “Monty. Here. Sit.” And the hound would park itself next to his left leg whilst whatever oncoming walker / cyclist / other dog going batshit mental happened to go past.

Tpbiker’s posts disturb me. Cross out “your dog” and replace it with “your child” and see how that scans. “One local lady after about 4 times of her child bounding up to my dog I had finally had enough and rather than pull my dog away I just let it bite the child” and several others. For all that I’m against pets invading humans’ personal space this is just victim-blaming. If the dog is randomly biting things that come close to it then it either needs training, a muzzle, or a green syringe.

Cougar

My mate had a staffie that he fed a vegetarian diet as he was veggie. Sweet jesus! It was like a four-legged chemical weapons programme. Its guffs were literally like mustard gas

You have no idea.

The same friend as above had a Giant Schnauzer named Wordsworth. North of 50 kilos’ worth of dog.

Word’s favourite food in the entire world was broccoli.

Under no circumstances ever was Word allowed to eat broccoli.

If word (small ‘w’) had have got out the USA would have weaponised him. Mustard gas had eff all on Word after broccoli.

Cougar

Guessing the majority of folks moaning about dogs haven’t got any/ever owned one ?

It’s very easy reading this thread to draw a Venn diagram of dog ownership.

Please have your dogs leave me alone > What have you got against dogs? > My dogs are well trained.

If you’re in the first or third bracket there then you’re a good person. If you’re in the middle, you’re gonna get caught in the swear filter.

kerley
    Free Member

Could you just run me through why, exactly?

To me the issue (only a small one) is that stating you are with “the muslims”, “the catholics” and so on is generalising a whole group of people. Just because you are catholic doesn’t mean you are 100% with and 100% do exactly what the catholic next door does and you know that.

kerley
    Free Member

I am not very good at training my dogs and even after 5 years they are still very reactive to other dogs (have even tried expert help). The fact they weigh 1.8kg makes this easy to manage though!

Everything else about them is great and they are good natured, love being handled, good with children etc,. But because of the reactive issue they are always on leads when out in public and I never let them jump up at anyone (although they can only reach your knee). If someone welcomes one, wants to stroke it then I will let them go towards then.
    I also would let one run free amongst other dogs anyway but that is just because of the risk of damage from out of control other dogs with may be 20 times the size.

To me that is taken correct responsibility for my dogs. I still don’t want other peoples dogs to run after me when cycling or jump up and me covering me in mud. That may be precious of me, especially if I am not even wearing a suit but at least I can’t be accused of being a visitor to the countryside as I live right in the middle of it.

anagallis_arvensis

If you’re walking your pooch out in public and you don’t have 100% recall then put it on a lead and find somewhere away from people

Even the most highly trained dog can do unpredictable things on occasion, otherwise sheep dog trials would be really boring 😜. Police dogs sometimes bite police officers for example. Sometimes circumstance conspires against you. As an example a week or two ago my dog was trotting along off lead, two women with about 4 young kids coming the other way chatting in a group. One women see’s dog and engages with dog, lots of cooing and high pitched talking etc. This women clearly wanted the dog to come over so my dog that will ignore strangers trotted over to say hello and was getting stroked etc. At this point one of the kids who I presume wasn’t this womens started crying and was obviously scared, I called the dog back but she didn’t come straight away as this women who was saying oh yes she’s scared of dogs was still stroking the dog. I felt terrible and apologised and the dog moved away when I got a bit closer but by then it looked like this little girls walk had been ruined.

binners

Just because you are catholic doesn’t mean you are 100% with and 100% do exactly what the catholic next door does and you know that.

;)

cookeaa

Even the most highly trained dog can do unpredictable things on occasion, otherwise sheep dog trials would be really boring 😜. Police dogs sometimes bite police officers for example. Sometimes circumstance conspires against you. As an example a week or two ago my dog was trotting along off lead, two women with about 4 young kids coming the other way chatting in a group. One women see’s dog and engages with dog, lots of cooing and high pitched talking etc. This women clearly wanted the dog to come over so my dog that will ignore strangers trotted over to say hello and was getting stroked etc. At this point one of the kids who I presume wasn’t this womens started crying and was obviously scared, I called the dog back but she didn’t come straight away as this women who was saying oh yes she’s scared of dogs was still stroking the dog. I felt terrible and apologised and the dog moved away when I got a bit closer but by then it looked like this little girls walk had been ruined.

TBH I do this as a diffusion tactic because my youngest daughter is terrified of pretty much all dogs, they wander towards us no matter what and it’s easier to pet the thing (while it ignores call backs) and let her cower behind me that it is to separate some yapping furry **** from her while getting in an argument with a “dog person” about what constitutes “under control”… I’ve given up expecting dog owner’s to be responsible.

I will endeavour to not pet and coo as distraction now as I can see how it’s counterproductive, but honestly why does the entire rest of society have to also be trained in dealing with other people’s dogs?

anagallis_arvensis

I will endeavour to not pet and coo as distraction now as I can see how it’s counterproductive,

I think that’s a fair enough thing to do tbh, I do the same when over excited large dogs come running over to my old hound as she is quite nervous of bigger dogs. But in the case above my dog will ignore people she doesn’t know but this women called her over. She wouldn’t have gone near the child had this women not called her over.

I’ve given up expecting dog owner’s to be responsible.

Yep me too, I can only do my best with my dog.

but honestly why does the entire rest of society have to also be trained in dealing with other people’s dogs?

Primarily because many dogs are owned by idiots, but also because it’s a life skill too strong, it helps you live an easier life if you know how to act around dogs or horses or cows or sheep

crazy-legs

but honestly why does the entire rest of society have to also be trained in dealing with other people’s dogs?

Because the entire rest of society varies between people who actively want to kill your dog to people who want to pat and fuss over every random dog they meet.

And dog owners vary from the (rare cases of) very good with near perfect dogs to the (much more common) complete morons with zero interest in or control of their little shitting machine.

kerley
    Free Member

it helps you live an easier life if you know how to act around dogs or horses or cows or sheep

You do realise 99% of people will never come across a loose horse, a cow or a sheep don’t you. Hardly a life skill.

singletrackmind

All the farms round your way keep their cows, sheeps and horses on leads out in the feilds then?

anagallis_arvensis

You do realise 99% of people will never come across a loose horse, a cow or a sheep don’t you

Well I would disagree with your made up statistic but also add that a horse being ridden also needs some knowledge to be safely dealt with.

The fact that you live in the New Forest makes your assertion even more bizarre!! Can’t move 10 feet without tripping over a pony or donkey down that way!

bowglie

I can definitely appreciate the issues raised and discussed in this thread, but the following made me LOL!

You should just carry some fireworks with you. Dog owners love that shit.

Watty

The beer garden of our local was entitled dog owner meltdown yesterday evening. Every table had a dog. Every dog wanted to bark at, yap at, sniff, bite or lick every other dog, child, drinker. Perfectly normal around here in rural Suffolk, but this thread made me very conscious of the fact that they, the dogs and their owners, were completely dominating the space.

grum
    Free Member

this thread made me very conscious of the fact that they, the dogs and their owners, were completely dominating the space.

No doubt after a year away the beer garden was still reassuringly filled with the scintillating non-stop chat of ‘how old is he/she’, ‘what breed’, ‘yes he’s very good natured’, ‘ours is a rescue dog’, ‘hes just saying hello’, ‘he won’t bite’ etc, repeat ad infinitum.

johndoh
    Free Member

Every dog wanted to bark at, yap at, sniff, bite or lick every other dog, child, drinker.

You made this bit up didn’t you.

kerley
    Free Member

The fact that you live in the New Forest makes your assertion even more bizarre!! Can’t move 10 feet without tripping over a pony or donkey down that way!

Yes, I sometimes have to move a cow or a horse just to get out of my drive but again, you do realize that the vast majority of people live in towns and cities and will never encounter a horse, cow or sheep in their lives.

kerley
    Free Member

All the farms round your way keep their cows, sheeps and horses on leads out in the feilds then?

See above post about the vast majority (let’s say 99% for effect) don’t go into fields and they don’t have any fields anywhere near where they live. The vast majority of people could live quite happily without knowing what to do if they encounter a sheep or cow, hence not exactly a life skill.

Anyway, those dog owners eh, what a bunch of ****.

grum
    Free Member

He was trying to illustrate that it was very common/the norm using a little hyperbole. But then you knew that didn’t you.

MoreCashThanDash

Even the most highly trained dog can do unpredictable things on occasion,

True, but legislation (quoted earlier) makes it very clear what is required from dog owners.

The issue is owners not understanding that “under control” means under control, either by a lot of hard work and training or tight leads.

slowoldman

it helps you live an easier life if you dogs know how to act around dogs people or horses or cows or sheep

johndoh
    Free Member

He was trying to illustrate that it was very common/the norm

Again, made up. I would suggest that the ‘very common/the norm’ is dogs being well controlled by their owners.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

He was trying to illustrate that it was very common/the norm using a little hyperbole. But then you knew that didn’t you.

I’d have expected more than a few tired clichés in defence of it though. Is disappoint.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

On another note, the dogs in beer gardens thing is a bit of a pain. A simple rule of “your dog* is welcome but on a lead please, tied to your bench/table” would sort it in a jiffy.

*or child…delete as appropriate

anagallis_arvensis

vast majority of people live in towns and cities and will never encounter a horse, cow or sheep in their lives.

Pretty sure people in towns and cities are allowed out of them on occasion, just not this year.

Watty

You made this bit up didn’t you.

Nope, but I may have embellished it slightly! 😉
    To be fair, there was a lab at the far end who was desperate to get involved and a whippet that sat there looking shit scared, both on leads. But no, to various degrees, the other four or five were not under control and were **** annoying!

onewheelgood

Again, made up. I would suggest that the ‘very common/the norm’ is dogs being well controlled by their owners.

I don’t know where you live, but that is certainly not the case around here.

tonyd

I can’t believe this thread is still going.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

This thread reminds me of a recent incident that happened to my young daughter whilst walking our two dogs. 2 mini schnauzers. One is good off the lead, the other will run upto dogs to say hello regardless. He has been nipped a few times but he hasn’t got a retaliation in him, he just looks confused they dont want to play. We try to avoid the situation by only letting him off the lead with no one else about but if a dog runs onto the field, he is going to say hello regardless.

Anyhow, she had the good one off the lead on the path at her heels and the other on the lead. The good one was sniffing a lamp post and having a pee. He was 100% oblivious to anyone nearby. My daughter told other dog to sit and waited beside him. All under control.

So why did the elderly gentleman walking with his grandson feel the need to aggressively lecture my daughter about having a dog off the lead. A dog that until he approached had no interest in him whatsoever. He continued to have zero interest in him even though he has quite a protective streak when it comes to my daughter. Thankfully my daughter had the presence of mind to point all of this out to him and ask why he felt the need to intimidate a young girl all by herself when there was zero need.

Guy walked off unable to respond.

There are just so many people with opinions on noise, fun, dogs, cats, cyclists, climbers, car drivers, house owners etc etc etc. All of them have a point and some of them just want their point to be louder than others. At the end of the day, my family are dog lovers. I am not going to change how i go about looking after them based on people like those who have commented on this thread. Dont like it, unlucky. Same as i would say to car drivers who hate cyclists. It isnt going to be sorted so you just fall into one of the ‘boxes’. I am confident my dog wont hurt anyone. Im confident i am trying my best to limit issues, but i also understand it happens. In those circumstances if someone wants to kick my dog square in the nuts, i would say they deserved it. Same as i say when he puts his nose into a snappy dog and gets nipped.

Not only have we got dog haters to deal with, its now a minefield with dog owners who seem to have morphed their dogs into psuedo children and wont let them socialize at all and spend every minute of their walks avoiding all contact with other dogs. I will try my best but if my dog comes and says hi, i am not going to give too much thought about the traumatic event that happened back in ’73 which left him with a nervous twitch. If they are agressive then muzzle it and let it work out its issues chasing my dogs, i dont mind.

winston
    Free Member

@watty

Glad to see that beautiful pub on your doorstep is back open!

*Daughter loves the Cube, in a her words “a real proper cool looking mountainbike” so thanks again.

Watty

Ace, that’s fantastic news, glad she likes it. We are incredibly lucky to have two pubs in the village. Nice to see them both open again too.

flicker
    Free Member

I can’t believe this thread is still going.

:D I can. It’s like a cyclists thread on any other forum, all dogs cyclists are ***** for several pages, various anecdotes involving red lights, road tax, insurance, draconian measures need to be enforced etc. The odd person will pipe up that not all cyclists are *****.

Seems this place is no better, threads like this are very good for outing the weirdos though….

@TheLittlestHobo
    need a like button for your post :)

kayak23

threads like this are very good for outing the weirdos though….

So true. Several late entries in my ‘people I never wish to meet’ list… 😂

mjsmke

it helps you live an easier life if you know how to act around dogs or horses or cows or sheep

Very different animals though. Out riding, when I approach a dog or horse I always slow down and make sure the owners know I’m there before passing. No horse has ever been aggressive towards me. One or two got a bit scared so I stop, and they settle down. Dogs however; I’ve lost count how many ended up chasing, barking, trying to bite etc. I don’t dislike dogs at all. Just don’t let them chase me or get close to me while barking its head off.

boombang
    Free Member

Out for a walk with my 5 year old lad yesterday on a beach. A guy with two American bulldogs off leads shouted from a way off that the dogs were harmless but to expect them to run up to us and for the dogs to playfight each other. Instantly thought of this thread and it was good to the owner to call out and warn us but wondered why he didn’t call the dogs back.

10 seconds later one of the dogs has bounded up at to my lad, jumped up knocked him to the floor and cutting his face with the paw that made contact. The second dog then pounced on the first, I grabbed my son up off the floor and left the two dogs rolling about.

Lucky my son is really confident with dogs and shrugged it off, I wasn’t up for a row however I did politely state to the owner that a lot of kids would have been petrified and parents wouldn’t be so good about it. Owner half apologised and walked on, the two dogs play scrapping and growling at one another.

Guessing now he didn’t recall as they won’t, but as someone contemplating buying a fairly small dog I am left wondering if the situation could have been a lot worse all round.

ThePilot
    Free Member

TheLittlestHobo said: “At the end of the day, my family are dog lovers… I will try my best but if my dog comes and says hi, i am not going to give too much thought about the traumatic event that happened back in ’73 which left him with a nervous twitch. If they are agressive then muzzle it and let it work out its issues chasing my dogs, i dont mind.

Not sure you are.

And, no, i still can’t use the ******* quote function.

mattyfez

Heres a thing, when approaching walkers, especially families that are not too aware, do you prefer a ringing of the bell or a polite shout as a warning?

Persoanaly I don’t mind as long as I’m warned in good time so I can get my dog out of the way if needs be, but equally when riding sometimes I get no responses at all when riding until I’m literally right on thier heels, and thats back peddaling a hope hub and dinging my bell like a mad man.
    Sometimes you just can’t win on shared paths, some people are just willfully ignorant despite best efforts, I’ve had occasional abusive language both when walking the mutt and when riding.

mattyfez

Out for a walk with my 5 year old lad yesterday on a beach. A guy with two American bulldogs off leads shouted from a way off that the dogs were harmless but to expect them to run up to us and for the dogs to playfight each other. Instantly thought of this thread and it was good to the owner to call out and warn us but wondered why he didn’t call the dogs back.

10 seconds later one of the dogs has bounded up at to my lad, jumped up knocked him to the floor and cutting his face with the paw that made contact. The second dog then pounced on the first, I grabbed my son up off the floor and left the two dogs rolling about.

Lucky my son is really confident with dogs and shrugged it off, I wasn’t up for a row however I did politely state to the owner that a lot of kids would have been petrified and parents wouldn’t be so good about it. Owner half apologised and walked on, the two dogs play scrapping and growling at one another.

Guessing now he didn’t recall as they won’t, but as someone contemplating buying a fairly small dog I am left wondering if the situation could have been a lot worse all round.

That’s a classic example of an arsehole dog owner who should know better, and I say that as a dog owner.

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 594 total)

The topic ‘Another entitled dog owner… 😡’ is closed to new replies.