Home Forums Chat Forum Another entitled dog owner… 😡

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 594 total)
  • Another entitled dog owner… 😡
  • Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

She doesn’t get off lead though as her recall isn’t good enough yet.

Keep her on a lead.

jaylittle
    Free Member

I rode with a mate 3 weeks ago, heading down a trail and a lady was walking up with 2 dogs both off the lead, so we slowed down and moved over. One dog came towards us and was quite aggressive/barking but passed by, as we started moving off it ran back and starting barking at my mate, the owner called it back but the dog wasn’t interested and the dog took a chunk out of my mates leg. Even whilst the dog was hanging off the leg of my mate the owner just stood there calling it. The dog got a kick and then my mate got the phone number off the tag and reported her and the dog to the police however she told a very different story to the police who are not taking action. My only hope is that the dog doesn’t do the same when a child on a bike passes. We must have passed about another dozen dogs/owners, all had control over their dogs were very polite.

matt_outandabout

She’s good funkmaster – at the time upset.

We were in the hills, easy to put things in perspective.

funkmasterp

Glad she’s feeling better 👍🏼

mdavids
    Free Member

There’s loads of people out there, it’s an increasingly crowded world we live in.

A significant percentage are thick/entitled/inconsiderate/ignorant.

Some of these also own dogs/drive cars/ride bikes.

I guess my point is, it’s not a dog owner problem, it’s a people problem. For me the only solution is to try and avoid the general public as much as possible. The less interactions you have, the less chance you have of bumping into one of life’s pricks and spoiling your day. This generally works for me, as a dog owner/driver/cyclist.

RustyNissanPrairie

OP sorry to hear about this as a responsible doggo owner – my Bert reflects me and my training of him. I would be absolutely mortified if Bert did something like happened to you – but it wouldn’t get to that point. Bert is always on lead and immediately upon encountering someone else on the path/trail we stand off to one side and wait for them to pass.

People don’t realise the amount of training needed with a dog. I’m 3 years into being Berts guardian and it’s constant repeating of instructions, same words and tone, praise, repeat over and over again. And he loves it – dogs need direction and leadership but he very rarely goes off lead and only when there are no people about and only in a few local benign/wildlife free areas.

Lockdown has brought out the worst dog owners, black (non degradable) poo bags tossed in the bushes, garden dogs whose sole excercise used to be getting kicked out into the garden now been taking for a ‘walk’ offlead and lockdown dogs bought on the spur of the moment.

piemonster
    Free Member

People don’t realise the amount of training needed with a dog. I’m 3 years into being Berts guardian and it’s constant repeating of instructions, same words and tone, praise, repeat over and over again.

Same here, every walk and every run involves training. It’s just a part of the daily routine, day in, day out. Same as you, it is in part for his mental stimulation. Enjoys being given something to do.

And the venison sausage that occasionally serves as a reward.

Phil_H

Keep her on a lead.

Thats exactly what happens.
    She’s not allowed to jump up at anyone or approach anyone uninvited. She’s 16 months old and training is ongoing and continuous, every time we go out.

mjsmke

I’ve found an effective method when out on my bike and a dog is barking at me is to lift my foot off the pedal as if I’m about to kick it. Obviously I wouldn’t kick a dog unless it attacked, but the owners tend to call the dog back then.

Not had any issues walking. But get chased a lot on my bike. If the dog sounds aggressive I just sprint off. Some owners get angry shouting out for me to stop but I won’t put myself in any danger of a dog bite.

molgrips
    Free Member

I haven’t read the thread, but:

Nope, told to stop being silly, that they don’t need did to, and were should just go home if we don’t like dogs.

This isn’t actually a response to the request to put them on a lead – it’s an instinctive response to being asked to do something that they didn’t feel was necessary by a stranger; and the implied allegation that they’ve done something wrong.

Most people have this response – me included.

DavidB
    Free Member

I was barked at today whilst road biking by an off the lead Alsatian and his Labrador mate. The owner was unable to call them off as the horse she was riding got a little spooked. This is premium grade fuckwittery that I’ve seen many times before.

andylaightscat
    Free Member

handheld gas horn always gets the dog to back off in my experience

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

Thats exactly what happens.
    She’s not allowed to jump up at anyone or approach anyone uninvited. She’s 16 months old and training is ongoing and continuous, every time we go out.

That’s not what I ment, you said she’s on a lead for now.

The amount of times I’ve heard “oh my dogs well trained” or “she’s never done that before”.

Dogs are animals which are unpredictable creatures, you think you have them trained till the point they show you they’re not.

flicker
    Free Member

There are loads of mirror threads to this btw, on dog based social media. Basically cyclists are rude self entitled **** At work we organise a “walkathon” at a popular nature trail and every year there are complaints about cyclists, same happened at an event we used to run in Holyrood park.

@piemonster
    There’s a bridleway local to me and it’s regularly used by families walking, dog walkers, horse riders and cyclists. I’ve used it for years either cycling or walking the dog and without a doubt the biggest problem is the cyclists, predominantly mountain bikes ridden by males.

sockpuppet

Larry_Lamb

She doesn’t get off lead though as her recall isn’t good enough yet.

Keep her on a lead

Stop looking for a rise out of folk, chaps says his dogs isn’t ready. So doesn’t get let off the lead. Seems you agree.

So why go digging?

I’ve been chased for over two miles across heathland by a pair of medium sized hounds who ignored their screaming owner. No idea if he ever got them back after they collapsed from exhaustion.
    Worst owners are the ones who explain the situation by “well of course you’ll get bitten, you startled poor little Trixie”.

freeagent
    Free Member

If an out of control dog attacked either myself or my wife/kids I’d not think twice about kicking it as hard as I could. I hate dogs off leads.

Eyepic
    Free Member

OK so set myself up for shouts of troll etc.

What follows is genuine.
    I an a big bugger.
    20 stone Lorry driver. Dogs scare the living S@@T out of me. I can cope with ones that don’t jump or bark at me but if pushed I will attack a dog.
    If I attack a dog there is a bloody good chance I will kill it. Not because I want to but, it is totally fight or flight and I am shit scared.
    Before you ask … yes I have killed dogs.
    When it happens I am totally shit scared. Totally absolutally shit scared
    Just beforehand the owners have been laughing and saying … they just want to say hello etc.
    I have been called names and abused.. I have been attacked by dog owners..

I totally sympathise with OP.

winston
    Free Member

I genuinely wonder what would happen if I:

Ran up to a random small child and pushed them over then scratched them with my nails.

Walked up to someone on a footpath and smeared mud on their clothing.

Ran over to a family eating a picnic in the park, walked all over their food and stole a scotch egg whilst drooling over everything

Shouted at the top of my voice for  3 hours in my back garden

I guess based on my recent experience that would all have been fine as long as those people were dog owners.

mudeverywhere
    Free Member

I’ve been chased for over two miles across heathland by a pair of medium sized hounds who ignored their screaming owner. No idea if he ever got them back after they collapsed from exhaustion.

Yeah, I’ve found trying to outrun them a bit hit and miss. Difficult to judge the top speed of a dog just from a glance. I had one incident last year where the dog was tiny and probably not a significant danger but I booted it just to get away from the aggressive barking. Had to push it over 32mph down a long fireroad before I started to pull away. Doubt the owner saw the dog again for a while. I don’t believe people are stupid enough to genuinely not realise how their dog will react to a bike rider and know it needs to be kept on a lead.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

I was bitten by a dog last year. Apparently, it was my fault. I was wearing a red jacket and I looked like a postman. I kid you not.

The dog did get a swift kick up the arse though.

p7eaven
    Free Member

I don’t believe people are stupid enough to genuinely not realise…

Cougar

Someone said a few posts ago, “entitled,” and that nails it.

It doesn’t matter that it “won’t hurt you.” I might not like dogs. I might not want to get mud on my nice trousers. I might have a phobia. I might be massively allergic. There might be a dozen other reasons why I don’t want your ‘fur baby’ leaping around in my personal space.

Me, I’m more of a cat person but I like dogs. I like animals generally. But “excuse me, can you call your dog to heel please?” takes priority over “but he’s only being friendly,” no ifs no buts. Over the years I’ve had altercations with dogs whilst walking, running, cycling, and sitting eating a sandwich. And if I ask “would you mind awfully extracting your pet from my personal space please” then that takes priority over your precious Fido definitely not eating my lunch or my calf.

Victim blaming 101. Your hound is the aggressor, my front wheel wasn’t ‘asking for it’.

Cougar

And,

I’m not a fighter, I’m really not much more than skin and bone. I’ve lived this long by perfecting the art of running away. But if some random member of the public called my girlfriend a see you next Tuesday for having the audacity to be walking in a straight line minding her own business, they’d find themselves having to stand up again. That’s absolutely ****ing outrageous behaviour.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Big dog fan here but the owners of the ones that were involved in op incident are clearly arseholes.

I keep my dog on a leash when walking not because it’ll annoy people but because it’ll have a go at other dogs. What really annoys me is when other dogs run up to her off lead and I have to hold mine back from attacking them. When I ask the owners to keep their dog away from mine I’m met with the same response every time..’he only wants to play’

One local lady after about 4 times of her dog bounding up to mine I had finally had enough and rather than pull mine away just let it bite the other dog. When I saw the indignant look on the owners face I asked her what the fxxx she thought was going to happen…

Moral of story..dogs are great, but many dog owners are entitled arseholes.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I could say an entitled cat owner that allows their untrained cats to shit in my garden. Wouldn’t mind so much if the owners turned up every day to clean up after their moggies like people expect dog owners to clean up after their dogs but if I went round to a neighbour and asked them to clean up their cats crap I’m likely to receive some unpleasant verbal aggression.

Nothing to do with entitlement. It’s about tolerance. We’re all entitled but not all tolerant. Nothing more entitled than people boasting about attacking or even killing a dog because of their crappy owners.

mrsheen
    Free Member

There’s an old railway line and canal near me that I’d love to go running down but sadly they’re full of dog walkers. I often fantasize about a world where dogs couldn’t bite or people chose non-dangerous pets which they liked to let roam free. I often run across a farm field which has a massive sign declaring dogs on lead due to lambing season. Lately there are plenty of dogs running free in said fields and owners wondering what that grumpy runner is talking about.

kayak23

I have a dog disclaimer.

If a dog starts to chase me on my bike when out riding, I stop….and I talk to it etc.

Pedalling off at speed reinforces the behaviour to chase.

I understand that some people are immediately terrified and that’s the only response they know how to do but yeah, generally if you run, they’ll chase.

A bit like grizzly bears. 🐻 😊

Op it sounds as if your dog people were terminal cockwombles.

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

Pedalling off at speed reinforces the behaviour to chase.

Pedalling off reinforces the message to put the dog on a lead.

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

Stop looking for a rise out of folk, chaps says his dogs isn’t ready. So doesn’t get let off the lead. Seems you agree.

So why go digging?

I’m not digging, he said he’s training the dog ready for the point to come off a lead.

I said keep it on a lead indefinitely.

kayak23

Pedalling off reinforces the message to put the dog on a lead.

Correct. You’ll be the most correct person in the minor injuries unit 👍😉

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

person in the minor injuries unit

Because your dog attacked me off a lead due to being an irresponsible dog owner?

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Maybe I’m just sensitive as a dog owner, but when I read these threads I always imagine the stw reaction if the populace on here were to stumble on a cyclist thread full of these stereo types and generalisations on a dog walking forum, or mumsnet.

Yes, it’s shit that there are bad experiences, but some of you need to re-read your posts before clicking ‘submit’.

pothead
    Free Member

Recently had a ‘conversation’ with a woman after her 3 German Shepherds came charging towards me while riding on a cyclepath/disused railway line. It’s used by walkers/horses/cyclists and can get busy (Sunday morning so fairly busy at the time in question). She had walked out of a nearby carpark and immediately let all 3 off the lead, they went at a few smaller dogs first then when she tried to call them back charged past her and ran around 50 yards straight at me at which point I had to slam on the brakes to avoid a collision. I don’t mind dogs at all but started shaking my head at the owner who declared she had every right to be there and shouldn’t have to keep them on a lead despite obviously having no ability to recall or control them. I explained that if three lads on bikes had charged towards her at speed in the same location and manner as they had just done to me she would no doubt be complaining they were out of control/dangerous and rightly so, but she still refused to put them back on the lead and as I rode off they were surrounding and barking at an elderly couple with a small dog on a lead who looked pretty intimidated. Self entitled attitudes are definitely on the rise these days, not dog owners particularly as most can and do control their pets, but in society in general

kerley
    Free Member

I guess my point is, it’s not a dog owner problem, it’s a people problem. For me the only solution is to try and avoid the general public as much as possible. The less interactions you have, the less chance you have of bumping into one of life’s pricks and spoiling your day. This generally works for me, as a dog owner/driver/cyclist.

This is it exactly. Riding yesterday and first 3 miles on road, got overtaken by a driver on a blind bend and then followed by a tractor (with long trailer) a few feet behind me trying to overtake at all costs when he just needed to wait about 2 minutes before we got to a long stretch of straight wide clear road. Get to the first gravel road, dogs all over the place not on leads, owners not aware/don’t care that it is a cycle route and huff and tut when then have to control their dogs after they get on the way, chase after me etc,.
    Come up behind someone running right in the middle of the gravel road, rang bell but she had headphones on so couldn’t hear anything and then jumped a mile when I road past.

And all that is on one short ride at 08:00 on a Sunday morning as I always ride early to avoid as many idiots as possible but they seem to be out earlier these days.

kayak23

Correct. You’ll be the most correct person in the minor injuries unit 👍😉

Because your dog attacked me off a lead due to being an irresponsible dog owner?

Yes, quite possibly. You can spend your life moaning about how some dog owners don’t take responsibility but that’s unlikely to change unfortunately.
    The only real effect you can have on the situation, rightly or wrongly, is to change your behaviour to it.

Dogs can be incredibly threatening and frightening I agree but, if you can just stop instead of rollicking away at speed, you might find that most dogs no longer see any point in chasing you and go off back to squirrels or whatever.

If the dog is actually attacking, at least the owner is near enough to do something should they start to realise their responsibility.

People are dicks. Dogs are just dogs..

Sandwich

And all that is on one short ride at 08:00 on a Sunday morning

The late morning crowd around here are much better. I’ve stopped going out early except for commuting, I get to meet people and there’s less stress.

nickc

It’s the dog owners responsibility to keep the dog under control. In busy environments with other people around, and exciting and interesting things for your dog to interact with, the 100% most effective way of doing that is keep it on a lead. Off the lead, you’ve effectively delegating control of your pet to other people, and that doesn’t seem right to me. I don’t mind dogs, but the lack of foresight that your dog might not be welcome to others is pretty bad.

I’ve been riding along the Mersey recently, and the biggest issue for everyone; are dogs not being controlled sufficiently well by their owners . The owners, the people that are having to deal with them, the folks running or cycling getting tangled up in extendable leads; all of them having a shit time because of lack of training, lack of courtesy, lack of common sense. Saw a bloke throw a dog into the river yesterday as it was yapping around his young daughter.

grum
    Free Member

I genuinely wonder what would happen if…

This. All those things wouldn’t be acceptable for a human to do, so they’re not acceptable for a human-owned pet to do either (entirely owners’ fault not the dogs’).

I wonder how many owners have actually bothered to properly train their dogs -confirmation bias probably but I reckon it must be quite low.

Many people’s idea of taking a dog for a walk seems to be to drive to the local park and let it off the lead for a shit.

martinhutch

You can spend your life moaning about how some dog owners don’t take responsibility but that’s unlikely to change unfortunately.

I dunno, if I can get some idiot dog owner having to break into a jog for half a mile down a fire road shouting ‘Fenton’ to retrieve their furbaby, that counts as a win, and has some educational value.

Obviously, depends on the speed/stamina of the breed. Not recommended on a climb.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 594 total)

The topic ‘Another entitled dog owner… 😡’ is closed to new replies.