Home Forums Chat Forum Another entitled dog owner… 😡

Viewing 40 posts - 481 through 520 (of 594 total)
  • Another entitled dog owner… 😡
  • slowoldman

Except ones an illegal breed and the other one isnt

Why?

anagallis_arvensis

Why?

Under the dangerous dogs act.

tjagain

flicker – cannot see it on the kennel club site now but I assure you that is the legal position. Obviously it only applies in a public place but thats the facts of the matter – you have an obligation to keep your dog under control at all times. If you cannot do this without having it on a lead then you must keep it on a lead

Its civil law and case law not statute

I can’t be bothered looking it all up again now

anagallis_arvensis

Well you’ve convinced me!!

flicker
    Free Member

flicker – cannot see it on the kennel club site now but I assure you that is the legal position. Obviously it only applies in a public place but thats the facts of the matter – you have an obligation to keep your dog under control at all times. If you cannot do this without having it on a lead then you must keep it on a lead

Its civil law and case law not statute

We’ll have to agree to disagree. I can find no reference other than to dogs being dangerously out of control and nothing that backs up you post.

Blue cross seem to cover everything, it’s mostly common sense though, don’t let your dog be a nuisance.

branwell
    Free Member

My wife was knocked over by a dog out of control (Scotland). The dog broke her leg badly resulting in a plate and screws to hold it all together and six months off work. No apology from the dog owner who vanished afterwards, and unfortunately case law in Scotland does not support any likelihood of getting compensation for loss of earnings etc… she can no longer go running or skiing and is generally limited by what someone elses dog did.

slowoldman

Under the dangerous dogs act.

Ah right so breed specific traits?

johnjn2000

My dog can be a complete dick when out and about but unpredictably so. He is as likely to play with another dog as he is to pin it to the ground until it submits. He is also as likely to bark at a human as much as he is to ignore them. Based on this unpredictability we take him out with a muzzle and a lead, he hates the muzzle (in the process of getting a stupidly expensive bespoke one made to try and add comfort) so I take it off if we are in a place free of other dogs. It goes straight back on if there is another dog nearby off lead, they just can’t be trusted. Just this evening I was out and had him muzzled and on the long lunge lead so I was completely in control. Little dog off lead starts messing with him, owner calls dog, dog doesn’t respond so I am left trying to hold my lad back while the little thing messes around. I walk away, the little dog follows, and eventually the owner catches up and huffs and puffs about putting it on a lead?
    Same place 2 days ago, I see a dog without owner bounding up a footpath next to the field we are in. Dog enters field and it is a Doberman the size of a small pony, fortunately it is female so less chance of a reaction from my fella but it won’t leave us alone and no owner in sight. If it had been my wife walking Toby she would have been in tears, she is terrified of Dobermans after an incident years ago. Eventually an owner appears, no comment, no acknowledgment, walks into the adjacent field and eventually the Doberman follows.
    Finally, while I am venting, I made a mistake one day as we had been playing fetch (with the dog not my wife) and he was carrying his ball in his mouth so I hadn’t attempted to muzzle him. Came round a corner to be met with two dogs off lead. One of the dogs just ignore Toby which was fine, the other walked straight up to him and tried to take his ball out of his mouth. Needless to say Toby didn’t like that and snapped, catching the Greyhound on the nose and cutting him. Apparently that was my fault because I had him on the lead. The other owner stated that if he was off the lead he wouldn’t have reacted. WTF are you supposed to do? Idiots everywhere. To the OP, my wife sends sympathy vibes to your OH.

funkmasterp

Wasn’t as well thought out as that from what I can tell. More akin to profiling. Those dogs look a bit shady and some of them are wrong uns so….

I’m simplifying but the act needs revisions. Responsible owners who know what the **** they are doing regardless of the breed. That’s what is needed. All dogs have potential to be dangerous, just like any other large domesticated mammals. I find it sad that innocent animals suffer due to humans being dicks.

anagallis_arvensis

All dogs have potential to be dangerous, just like any other large domesticated mammals.

True but some are much better at it than others.

My lurcher seems to have a general rule of thumb that if her head would fit in the other dogs mouth it isn’t getting near her!!

on the long lunge lead so I was completely in control

Er, ok…
    Was it on this when it but the other dog?

johnjn2000

Er, ok…

No, short lead right next to my leg

funkmasterp

True but some are much better at it than others

Some have potential to be better at it than others due to historic uses. Guard dogs and herd guardians being two prime examples. Managed correctly the vast majority are fine just like any other breed. It’s that people can’t be arsed to research and just buy a dog on looks.

johnjn2000

Er, ok…

But even if it was on the lunge lead he would have been recalled back to me and not dancing around 10m away. did you decide to just choose the one point where I admitted an error in judgement?

plus-one

(All I ( and the other non child) owners) want is for you to keep within the law by keeping your child under control at all times and that means it does not come up to me at all unless I invite it to do so.
    It does NOT have to be on a lead IF its properly trained. I have only ever known one child so well trained. all others needed to be on a lead at all times because otherwise not under control.

to be under control the child MUST be withing eyesight at all times and recall immediately and reliably. If your child does not do this then it MUST be on a lead at all times

thats the law

funkmasterp

Yeah but kids don’t tend to jump up or bite. Well mine do but they’re the exception that proves the rule. How many times in your life have you been bothered by a child in the same way that a dog might do? If you say one or more I’m going to accuse you of fibbing

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Indisputable proof of the menace.

squirrelking
    Free Member

@funkmasterp totally agree that the Dangerous Dogs act isn’t fit for purpose and totally open to abuse. Heard so many stories about “pit bull like” dogs facing death because someone who doesn’t have a clue has decided they look dodgy so that’s that.

grum
    Free Member

It might not be the law but the new countryside code says dogs should be “under control and in sight”.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/the-countryside-code/the-countryside-code-advice-for-countryside-visitors

@branwell
    that is horrendous. :(

Spin
    Free Member

I think the standard response to ‘They won’t hurt you’ is ‘maybe not but I’m gonna hurt you if you don’t get your mutts away from me’.

I’ve often thought that a good response would be to run at the dog owner shouting and screaming and then pretend to punch them.

When they, rightly terrified, complain about this you can respond with, ‘I was just playing around, I’d never have actually hurt you.’ :)

piemonster
    Free Member

Yeah but kids don’t tend to jump up or bite.

Give it a couple of years and some of their peers will be down the shelter at the park off their nuts on Dragon Soup setting fire to wheelie bins stolen from OAPs then get lifted for trying to kick in the window of a local cafe.

anagallis_arvensis

But even if it was on the lunge lead he would have been recalled back to me and not dancing around 10m away. did you decide to just choose the one point where I admitted an error in judgement?

Sorry for that, its just long leads piss me off, got wrapped up in one attached to a Rottweiler with my son who was about 7 at the time after the dog on the long lead chased mine. Another time a dog chasing mine on a long lead left a nasty cut on my leg. Another caused my dog to do a somersault after it blocked an entire path…and that’s all before we get onto problems with them if riding a bike…I am sure when used appropriately they are fine.

It might not be the law but the new countryside code says dogs should be “under control and in sight”.

Does it also mention not riding bikes on footpaths?

Drac

In Scotland there is a further category – under close control which applies around livestock which is defined as on a lead or at heel. Breech this one and the farmer has the right to shoot the dog

Nope, it does not mention at heel.

anagallis_arvensis

Breech this one and the farmer has the right to shoot the dog

I’m fairly confident farmers can only shoot dogs that are actually chasing livestock.

I never put my dog on a lead around cattle, sometimes she sneaks right round the field edge to get past them, I’ve literally been stood chatting to the farmer when she does this and they haven’t mentioned shooting her.

Spin
    Free Member

In Scotland there is a further category – under close control which applies around livestock which is defined as on a lead or at heel. Breech this one and the farmer has the right to shoot the dog

This is very poorly worded. A farmer does not ‘have the right’ to shoot a dog for not being at heel or on a lead.

grum
    Free Member

Does it also mention not riding bikes on footpaths?

No. But when I do that I do it in a way that causes minimal nuisance to other people. Ie go early or late so it’s quieter, be more careful as people won’t be expecting bikes, don’t go when it’s wet and likely to churn up the path, slow down and be extra friendly if I do see walkers, etc.

Not just barrel towards them and skid to a stop stop at the last minute then tell them to lighten up if they aren’t impressed. Or crash into them then tell them I’ve never done that before and it’s so out of character for me. Or steal their lunch if they’re having a picnic. Or run my muddy tyres down their leg and say ‘I’m just being friendly’.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Sorry for that, its just long leads piss me off

Yep. Those and extendables – pain in the arse.

flicker
    Free Member

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/the-countryside-code/the-countryside-code-advice-for-countryside-visitors

So the guidance is don’t be a dick or let your dog be a dick, common sense and general courtesy then.

It makes for depressing reading that page, people shouldn’t need any of that explaining to them. I’m not talking about the dog specific bit, I mean all of it :(

Spin
    Free Member

It makes for depressing reading that page, people shouldn’t need any of that explaining to them. I’m not talking about the dog specific bit, I mean all of it

We’ve all got blind spots about our behaviour and how it affects others but it seems like dogs and their behaviour is a pretty common one.

I know a few people who are generally good, sensible, responsible individuals but total muppets about their dog’s behaviour, it’s impacts and how to deal with it.

johnjn2000

Yep. Those and extendables – pain in the arse.

Used properly they are a safe way to let a dog that can be reactive habe a good wander and a sniff. I would never use one anywhere that it could impact a rider or pedestrian. When we were training recall a few years ago my wife got caught with it round her legs and she had them whipped out from under her. I got one
    leg wrapped up once and ended up with lovely welts. We learnt from this
    experience 😂
    You will be glad to know we have our first extendable lead arriving tomorrow……….

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Those and extendables – pain in the arse.

All they achieve is teaching your dog how to pull..

funkmasterp

Give it a couple of years and some of their peers will be down the shelter at the park off their nuts on Dragon Soup setting fire to wheelie bins stolen from OAPs then get lifted for trying to kick in the window of a local cafe.

Imagine the fury in here if dogs did that 😱 and WTF is Dragon Soup? Sounds like meth from your description

plus-one

Dragon Soup is a 20% alcohol drink sold in 500ml cans with child friendly designs/colour on them :(

piemonster
    Free Member

Edit, bitvof a pointless rant

RustyNissanPrairie

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Those and extendables – pain in the arse.

All they achieve is teaching your dog how to pull..

Karelian Bear Dog….not pulling on an extendable. Quite happily walks to heel when instructed but allows him 10m explore and sniff range. Recalls fine unless he picks up a deer (or bear) scent hence an extendable.

uploading pictures online[/url]

Pyro

Dragon Soup is a 20% alcohol drink sold in 500ml cans with child friendly designs/colour on them

7.5% ABV, apparently, not 20, but wholeheartedly agree with you on the colours – it’s alcoholic Monster.

Oh, for simpler times…

Mister-P
    Free Member

Dragon Soup is a 20% alcohol drink

7.5% ABV, apparently, not 20

Singletrack poster in over exaggeration shocker. Who would have imagined that?

plus-one

Aye 7.5% is plenty to send kids banzai ! 20% would be good and make them sleep ;)

Drac

Everyone ever. It’s law in Scotland and if you don’t follow it a farmer can legally shoot you.

piemonster
    Free Member
Viewing 40 posts - 481 through 520 (of 594 total)

The topic ‘Another entitled dog owner… 😡’ is closed to new replies.