Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Annoying pop up
  • stevemorg2

“Cut off date for issue 135 of Singletrack is the 25th January – You need to join us by this date in order to receive the next issue”
    Logged on – have to dismiss this every time I come on the site – how do I get rid of it?

dyna-ti

Ignore it.
    Otherwise these things can grow and have an impact on your sanity.

Pook

Is everyone getting it? Pretty sure I’m subscribed and yet it’s still there

scotroutes

Bloody annoying, eh?

CheesybeanZ

Yup annoying much.

PiknMix
    Free Member

Very annoying!

piemonster

Yeh I’m seeing that when logged in and paid up. Not bothered me enough to report it mind you.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Mildly pissed off. Aren’t the cookies supposed to stop us constantly seeing this?

andybrad

Not a pop up but a banner at the top.

Caher

I am and now I’m dreading the 25th.

dumbbot
    Free Member

Its amazing that they always find ways to add more useless, annoying ‘functionality’ ,to the site….and never fix any of the ever increasing site issues. Bravo.

Even more amazing that someone actually gets paid for doing it. If I was that bad at my job, I’d get fired.

leffeboy

Ignore it.
    Otherwise these things can grow and have an impact on your sanity.

That.  It’s the modern web.  That wonderful small town that was the internet where you were free to go and wander in tranquillity is now a bustling metropolis with hustlers on every corner.  Can’t let them wind you up.  Treat it like ‘would you like fries with that’

edlong
    Free Member

Not a pop up but a banner at the top.

Me too, seeing a banner but not getting any pop-ups whether logged in or not (android phone, not particularly locked down or running any blockers).

scotroutes

If I was that bad at my job, I’d get fired.

TBF you only get fired if you’re not doing what the boss asks.

leffeboy

seeing a banner but not getting any pop-ups

That’s just modern abuse of IT words.  See also ‘cookies’ and ‘virus’.   I’ve learned to try and just work out what is meant than take the words at face value – a bit like my friends trying to understand me talking to them in French 🙁

Cougar

If their French was better than yours would you not rather that they provide suggestions to help you improve?

The banner is a global message, hit the [X] and it should go away. It worked as intended for me anyway.

scotroutes

The banner is a global message, hit the [X] and it should go away. It worked as intended for me anyway.

It goes away but reappears later (new session?)

Cougar

I don’t believe that’s intended behaviour. I’ve reported it.

Drac

Even more amazing that someone actually gets paid for doing it. If I was that bad at my job, I’d get fired.

If it was that bad you’d not be here.

scotroutes

I don’t believe that’s intended behaviour. I’ve reported it.

Cheers. FWIW, I don’t use any cookie blockers etc and it’s happening on both Android/Chrome and W10/Chrome.

stumpyjon

Its amazing that they always find ways to add more useless, annoying ‘functionality’ ,to the site….and never fix any of the ever increasing site issues. Bravo.

Maybe if you paid they’d be more interested in your opinion, what do you want for free?

rockandrollmark

There’s this term we use in interwebs design called Banner Blindness. I hadn’t even noticed it until this thread brought it to my attention.

nickjb
    Free Member

Maybe if you paid they’d be more interested in your opinion, what do you want for free?

The people who use the site but aren’t willing to pay for it are exactly the opinions they should be interested in. They aren’t going to get more money out of existing subscribers

Drac

They aren’t going to get money out of someone who has no intention of subscribing after 6 years.

chvck
    Free Member

There’s this term we use in interwebs design called Banner Blindness. I hadn’t even noticed it until this thread brought it to my attention.

I noticed it but it disappears when I scroll down. If I had slow internet and it caused the page to jump after the banner loads in that’d be a bit annoying. If the banner followed the page when scrolling that’d definitely be annoying. As it is though? Not a big deal IMO.

grum
    Free Member

They aren’t going to get money out of someone who has no intention of subscribing after 6 years.

They might do. I used to subscribe but gave up when the site was barely usable and the site owners were grumpy and unhelpful about it.

thepodge
    Free Member

I’m in the same boat as Grum, used to subscribe but don’t any more.

I’ve seen very little evidence that my subscription would improve my user experience. I already pay a few websites but they’ve proven their abilities beforehand and don’t get mardy about it.

Anyway, can’t stop, just off to buy a muddy fox from sports direct, I hear they are really good now.

Drac

I’ve seen very little evidence that my subscription would improve my user experience. I already pay a few websites but they’ve proven their abilities beforehand and don’t get mardy about it.

You don’t have to pay if you don’t want to that’s not an issue. However, you and grum are examples of the opposite of what I said.

Cougar has reported the issue so hopefully once the IT bods have had their days off it’ll be looked into.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Scroll down, it disappears.

Pook

That’s not the point is it? It’s telling me to do something I believe I’ve already done, but it’s sowed a seed of doubt. As a result I checked my account, billing and payments to see if there was an oversight on my part or a problem with my payment.  Not something I wanted to have to either worry about or do, but thanks to annoying prompt, I did.

In the grand scheme of things it’s not a big thing, but its just another worry I didn’t want.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Still there I see.

Cougar

It’s telling me to do something I believe I’ve already done, but it’s sowed a seed of doubt.

So if it was worded as “if you haven’t already, then…” it’d be a non-issue?

Still there I see.

I know, right? Imagine prioritising dealing with the two DoS attacks they were hit with this morning rather than worrying about an innocuous half-inch banner that everyone can scroll straight past. They both need sacking, clearly.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

And how are we supposed know about the DoS attacks? 🤷🏼‍♂️

bruneep

And how are we supposed know about the DoS attacks?

Drac

And for some additional information there was one guy in the office trying to sort it.

metalheart
    Free Member

I’m going to go with the law of unintended consequences.

Telling me I need to subscribe when I’m a fully paid up subscriber only reminds me that if it hadn’t been for a) Covid and b) issue 133 I would have stopped my print sub as I don’t really read the mag anymore.

I am not saying the mag is shite, just it doesn’t really meet my interests anymore (I did actually read half of 133 mind, first time in an age as the shock of Isla Short’s red hair caught my attention and reading her interview raised a smile, welcome in these dark days). But all you’re doing is goading me into following through with what my head says (it’s the shear waste more than anything, I used to pass the mag on to a mate).

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Annoying pop up’ is closed to new replies.