Home Forums Bike Forum And the best bikepacking bike is?

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • And the best bikepacking bike is?
  • scotroutes

The one you already own…

It’s a bit of a meme, I know. Oft asserted by the old hands who have carefully built up their bike collections and have a bike for every possible niche.

For a bit of a change, I thought I’d go against the grain a bit and do away with that, choosing to take out my “Less than appropriate” Orbea Occam on a trip I’ve been thinking about since I moved to Aviemore 6 years ago. Simply enough, it’s 50km to the trail centre at Glenlivet, so ride there, bivvy, do the red descent, then ride home.

To help with the load bearing, I fitted a Gorilla Cage to the one set of bottle mounts on the frame. That gave me some storage space low down. My insulated jacket squeezed into a small drybag there. I also fitted an old Ortlieb 3L saddle bag that I bought years ago for commuting. That held a couple of inner tubes, tool, levers, some snacks and a few items of clothing I might want through the day. Having packed those, the rest of my overnight kit went in a 25L rucksack. It was by no means full and the weight wasn’t so great as to feel uncomfortable.

DSC_0613 by Colin Cadden[/url], on Flickr

It’s a fairly well-kent route, heading up past Ryvoan Bothy, past Dorback Lodge and on to the Burn of Brown.

P1050973 by Colin Cadden[/url], on Flickr

There are various bits of singletrack to be enjoyed on the way.

P1050975 by Colin Cadden[/url], on Flickr

P1050977 by Colin Cadden[/url], on Flickr

P1050980 by Colin Cadden[/url], on Flickr

P1050981 by Colin Cadden[/url], on Flickr

The trails were all very dry and I managed to make all the river crossings dryshod. However, at this point, disaster struck. A bottle of Smidge I’d been carrying in the side pocket of my rucksack had bounced out. This was potentially the end of my ride. Bivvying with just a tarp and no midge protection at this time of year was likely to be fatal. A quick check of the time and I reckoned I might just make it to the one shop in Tomintoul before it closed – though I had no idea what time that was. What had been a leisurely ride became a sweaty race and I pulled up to the Tomintoul Post Office at 18:05. Thankfully, they were still open and I managed to come away with a bottle of Jungle Formula.

I was now desperate for food and drink so popped into one of the hotels for a cold beer and some hot food. I made the mistake of taking my GPS with me and, when browsing through the maps, came up with another option for the night – to head to Faindouran with a view to the Fords of Avon and Loch Avon in the morning and a climb up Coire Raibert to get back home. This was only really an option due to my choice of bike and carrying most kit in my rucksack. The thought of lugging a laden bike up Coire Raibert would never have occurred to me.

In the end, I opted to stick with Plan A. There is something particularly refreshing about camping high. As I left Tomintoul, dusk was settling in and I took the Speyside Way to the top of Carn Daimh. Given previous experience with other sections of the Speyside Way, I should have known better…

I was suckered in at the beginning as there has obviously been some recent pathworks on this section. This flock of sheep were certainly making good use of it.

P1050983 by Colin Cadden[/url], on Flickr

After that, it did the SSW trick of running around field margins over tussocks, before making a beeline up a hill. I was just able to keep enough momentum going, particularly thankful for the rear suspension. As I climbed, the sun was just beginning to dip below the nearby hills.

P1050985 by Colin Cadden[/url], on Flickr

By the time I made it to the summit, the sky had become a deep red.

P1050988 by Colin Cadden[/url], on Flickr

Despite the quite fierce wind, I hung around sheltered by the viewpoint as the world around me went dark. It didn’t look like the wind was about to drop any time so I headed downhill into the lee and came across a great little spot for my tarp. As I was setting it up, the wind DID drop and I was suddenly engulfed by the flying hordes. I scrambled to put on a midge hood and leg warmers and considered decamping to the top of the hill. However, the lull was only brief and the wind picked up again, just as strong. Decision made, I was here for the night.

P1050994 by Colin Cadden[/url], on Flickr

scotroutes

I had a pretty good nights sleep. One pee break at 2am, then an alarm call at 5:45 for the dawn. It was overcast and dull so nothing to write home about. Another nap ensued before I packed up and headed to the top of the red trail.

P1050996 by Colin Cadden[/url], on Flickr

P1050997 by Colin Cadden[/url], on Flickr

Not my fastest descent and the amout of seat drop I could manage was limited by the bag I’d fitted, but great fun and even better knowing I’d not have to take that dumb-assed route back to the trail head. Instead, I headed back to Tomintoul for breakfast.

P1050998 by Colin Cadden[/url], on Flickr

After breakfast, the route back also gave me the opportunity to stop at the viewpoint I’d had to speed past the night before, en route to the shop and midge salvation.

P1050999 by Colin Cadden[/url], on Flickr

P1060003 by Colin Cadden[/url], on Flickr

P1060008 by Colin Cadden[/url], on Flickr

I wasn’t the only busy soul around, especially now that the heather is in full bloom.

P1060013 by Colin Cadden[/url], on Flickr

P1060015 by Colin Cadden[/url], on Flickr

P1060020 by Colin Cadden[/url], on Flickr

So, a great trip. Proof enough for me that you don’t need to spend a couple of thousand on Ti-framed, B-Plus bikes with expensive, niche bags (though feel free to do so). If I lost out on some road/gravel sections, I certainly made up for it on the fun singletrack and descents. There are also other routes (like my Loch Avon idea) that suddenly become a lot more do-able. My one piece of advice though would be to, instead, spend some of that money on lightweight overnight kit. Once you can cut the weight and bulk, opting for a rucksack is nowhere near as bad as it might be (and I’ve made that mistake in the past).

Of course, I’m probably now blacklisted by the Guild of Bikepackers for my heresy, but at least my Orbea is in British Bikepacking Orange :-)

P1060024 by Colin Cadden[/url], on Flickr

Poopscoop

Bloody great write-up and pictures as always mate! Overcome by green eyed monster as I read, that’s for sure.

Never seen those gorilla cages you mention. I can see one of those coming my way at some point.

The view points. They are totally new to me. I live down here in Kent. How fantastically surreal. How many up there scotroutes?

As for bike choice. Yeah, the best bike for the ride is the bike available or the one not in bits.👍

Again, thanks for the post. A great read just before I head off to kip and has given me a few wistful ideas….

martinhutch

The Occam is a pretty good choice, TBH – high shock leaving some room in the frame, and pretty light for a longer travel bike. Was planning to do my longer rides on mine this year, until one of its relatives found its way into my garage.

kayak23

Great writing. Looks fantastic.

How come you use a tarp over a bivi-tent? I know which I’d rather have, midge nets or not! 😂

coconut
    Free Member

Great write up Scotroutes, inspiring. I’m doing the Badger Divide next weekend so enjoyed the photos and looking forward to getting up in the highlands again.

weeboll
    Free Member

Great read. I’ve also got an Occam am but have converted the old bike to bike packing duties instead.

An 06 orange five. No dropper and more space in the frame due to low shock mount

Still complies with ‘the bike you already own rule…

marksnook
    Free Member

Great write up! I dream of a bikepacking ride!
    I think it will happen one day. Just need to actually get round to it

scotroutes

How come you use a tarp over a bivi-tent? I know which I’d rather have, midge nets or not!

I have  Lunar Solo but prefer the bivvy/tarp experience. It just about being more in the elements/surroundings. The Lunar has a mesh door but even then feels more isolated than a bivvy does. Of course, there are also some places a bivvy can be used that a tent can’t.

shermer75
    Free Member

Another great write up, thanks! I love reading these!! :-)

P20

Like it 👍🏻

Does make me think about using the full suss as an option as opposed to the hard tail.

How do you find them thumb stops btw?

thenorthwind

Great write up! I dream of a bikepacking ride!
    I think it will happen one day. Just need to actually get round to it

I mean this in the best possible way: it won’t. Unless you make it. Hopefully me being a dick by saying this will provide the impetus you need to go and prove me wrong. Post some pics yeah 👍🏻

scotroutes

Does make me think about using the full suss as an option as opposed to the hard tail.

As always, on the right route it would be the right bike choice. I’ve been through Kintail a couple of times on the hardtail thinking “I wish I had the FS with me”. I might actually do it next time.

How do you find them thumb stops btw?

Great. I was very dubious when I first saw them, realised I actually rode with my hands resting on the bars quite a lot (when not technical) so invested in a couple of pairs. I believe there are cheaper copies now available, though I had to get these sent from the US.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Something with a big triangle/long top-tube and long seat-post. Everything else is detail.

marksnook
    Free Member

@thenorthwind I know, have been talking about it for the last year! Please be a dick more and call it out so I actually do it! I live in Dursley so not far from the bike packing talk in Stroud. That will help me a bit. I always figured my big travel steel enduro bike wouldn’t work but that is now just looking like an excuse! I have mostly all I need other than some thing to sleep in. I think I would struggle with an overnight locally as I feel I would be too near civilisation but is that just a problem in my head?

scotroutes

always figured my big travel steel enduro bike wouldn’t work but that is now just looking like an excuse! I have mostly all I need other than some thing to sleep in.

TBH, that’s one of the reasons for my post. I reckon you can do it on almost any bike, particularly if you invest in the right overnight gear.

I think I would struggle with an overnight locally as I feel I would be too near civilisation but is that just a problem in my head?

Probably in your head. I’m lucky to have a choice of wild land where I am but if you abide by the maxim of “arrive late/leave early” then you’ll find suitable spots almost everywhere.

thenorthwind

Thanks for taking that in the spirit it was intended! :-)

I think I would struggle with an overnight locally as I feel I would be too near civilisation but is that just a problem in my head?

Maybe, but I know the feeling. I was shitting myself the first time I bivvied out, and that was in the middle of nowhere. Take a friend, or two, or three.

postierich
    Free Member

Ti for the win :-) This weekend up high

68821120_10157696477396474_1511437169426694144_n by Richard Munro[/url], on Flickr

69628303_10157696477866474_625253363197411328_n by Richard Munro[/url], on Flickr

69106384_10157696477741474_3564658306892955648_n by Richard Munro[/url], on Flickr

whitestone
    Free Member

Put yourself in the mindset of an axe wielding murderer – the countryside isn’t a particularly target rich environment. Why spend hours wandering around in the random hope of finding an itinerant bikepacker when you can just grab someone off the street?

It’s surprising just how easy it is to bivy out without anyone knowing you are there. As Colin says: arrive late/leave early and leave no trace and you’ll be fine.

martinhutch

Put yourself in the mindset of an axe wielding murderer

This is the easy bit. :)

But what about the randy bulls, psychotic poachers, vengeful gamekeepers and mutant owls? The moors are a dangerous place at night.

marksnook
    Free Member

Not forgetting them pesky drug taking teenagers 😂 yeah I see all your points, I’m making something of nothing!

whitestone
    Free Member

Damn! Forgot about them mutant owls.

tjagain

Its the hungry sheep you need to be aware of. And the wolves and bears

instanthit
    Free Member

Forget wolves and bears, the other week i had giant slugs.
    I arrived late on Bodmin Moor following a two day ride from Exeter to Cornwall on back roads and tracks to find the biggest profusion of black, fat slugs ever.
    My bivvy bag was covered in slug trails and even had to swipe a couple of my head in the night.

flyingmonkeycorps

I always figured my big travel steel enduro bike wouldn’t work but that is now just looking like an excuse!

@marksnook
    I literally rode across the country on a big travel steel enduro bike, and I’ve had some cracking nights out in the Peak District on the same thing. Get out there and do it!

roverpig

One of the things that has always put me off bikepacking is the thought that strapping all that kit to the bike would just take a lot of the fun out of the riding. Funnily enough I was flicking through an old outdoor magazine the other day and there was an article on super-light backpacking kit. It did make me think that I could probably get all I need for an overnight stop in a fairly small pack and I was wondering why bikepackers don’t do this. Now I see they do, I guess I’ll need to look for a new excuse :)

martinhutch

One of the things that has always put me off bikepacking is the thought that strapping all that kit to the bike would just take a lot of the fun out of the riding.

It doesn’t really. I notice it when you’re grinding up steeper stuff, but downhill and on the flat feels fine.

It’s possible to pack quite light in the right conditions. This is from my trip at the weekend.

IMG_20190823_084304 by hutchinson2017[/url], on Flickr

The 14L barbag has a 2/3 season sleeping bag, lightweight one man tent, plus a small amount of spare clothing. The small drybag on top is my inflatable sleeping mat. Tent poles are strapped to the downtube, I carry a single bottle in one cage, a tool bottle in the other.

Top tube bag is just snacks, a lock and battery pack.

I have my normal dayride hip-pack (camelbak repack) with the bladder taken out which holds a waterproof, softshell gilet, cash/keys/more snacks.

If I could put a seatpack on the bike (I don’t, because dropper), then I wouldn’t even need the bumbag, and the weight distribution would be better. I wouldn’t ever go for a backpack because that would be much less comfortable over long distances (for me).

whitestone
    Free Member

Hopefully you can see my setup for a ride at the weekend in this shot of the Solaris.

bike

Wildcat Tiger harness with all my bivy kit, Alpkit top tube bag with tools, spares, water filter, light and some other bits and bobs. Two stem cells, one with mug with all cooking stuff inside, the other for trail snacks. About 3.5kg in total not counting food and water.

martinhutch

Stalker alert! Leans his bike on the same post to take a photo. :)

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘And the best bikepacking bike is?’ is closed to new replies.