Home Forums Chat Forum America’s Cup 37

Viewing 24 posts - 81 through 104 (of 104 total)
  • America’s Cup 37
    owenh

Most telling thing for me was race 4 where Ineos had a great start and forced ETNZ into 2 tacks in quick succession. Should have given Ineos a good lead and control of the beat but Kiwis were even/first to the windward gate.

read (from Ineos team I think) that those 2 tacks only lost ETNZ 20m whereas Ineos would have lost 100m in the same scenario. ETNZ seems to be able to get back up to speed quicker or glide through head to wind better.
    Hoping Ineos can pull a few back to make it a better competition.

ampthill

Great Mozzy Saul’s video on the tacks

Just like you i couldn’t believe how little ground those 2 tacks cost NZ

The most interesting thing he says is that Ineos is faster up wind and down windin a straight line at full speed. But they hardly spend any time going at full speed

It sort of hints at the ai NZ talked about in the last cup where they let a computer run 1000s of visual regattas to see what sort of boat would win

sharkbait
    Free Member

Interesting how the team that gets to decide the design rules of the boat have an advantage!

[angry face emoji]

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Interesting how the team that gets to decide the design rules of the boat have an advantage!

To be fair, unless there’s a well hidden loophole they’re exploiting, then it’s the same rules for everyone.

It was more of an issue in previous campaigns where they would deliberately write rules to disadvantage teams they didn’t want to face (budget caps to keep high spenders away, high entry fees that kept small teams away,  different numbers of prototypes allowed for challenger / defender, etc). And RYS/Ineos were the challenger of record, so were involved in the negotiations on the rules, location, etc.  I didn’t keep up with the politics this time round but for AC36 ETNZ designed the mechanicals of the foils, while Prada as challenger did the foils themselves?

It’s not the pre J-class era when the defender could build a lightweight speed machine while the challenger had to sail to the race in an more sturdy offshore yacht. Or the IACC/12M eras when the winner was whoever won the preceding court case over who’s boat bent fewer rules.

BigJohn

Haven’t the first four races been in relatively light winds? Maybe Ineos would be better in a blow.

thepurist

What happened there? Just started the live stream and NZ are doing 2kt at the start line

richmars

Fell off the foils, takes a bit of time to get going again.

thepurist

Did they have a technical issue or just human error?

richmars

Going alright now so I’m guessing a mistake.

dakuan
    Free Member

guess they’ll be happy that they are probably facing a mere drubbing, rather than the total wipeout!

Twodogs

I think that’s the first obvious mistake from NZ.

dakuan
    Free Member

interesting that the UK still excelling at……the cycling – avg ~380W vs ~280 for the kiwis

Twodogs

Wow…that was close!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

NZ faster and tactically better. Game over. 7-0. F1 analogy is good.

Well this aged like a fine cheap New Zealand wine. plonk 

I might be back in a few days to eat my words, but I’d remind people of the last time Ainsley won the Americas Cup ……

Writing off today as a couple of small but heavily punished NZ mistakes misses the point, match racing is a bit like nougats and crosses, winning is very difficult but there’s lots of ways to make sure your opponent doesn’t win.  NZ need to force GB into a tacking battle, GB need to force NZ into a drag race.

And remember this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-Fod7rvSHQ

the00
    Free Member

Close racing. I was edge of my seat for the last couple of legs.

It’s interesting how many armchair assumptions can be sunk depending on the conditions, developments/learning and boat set up.

Britannia were meant to be better in higher winds, but lost to Luna Rosa in those conditions.

Britannia was observed to struggle for a high mode in early races, but squeezed LR.

NZ were supposed to be stronger in light winds, but haven’t run away on any of the races in the final, which have all been light wind.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Woooo….. well done INEOS – back in it and no longer the whitewash that I feared!

jonwe
    Free Member

@thisisnotaspoon – glad we made a better effort of it today. I’m just a cynical old GBR fireball sailor at heart and know how much fight Ben has in him. Would dearly love ineos to win so very happy to eat my words on that one.

shinton
    Free Member

I went down a rabbit hole on the mid-race course changes and wondered how they moved the buoys:

The cheapest ones go for 5k per mark, but they are quite shitty, they have a single propeller and not very powerful. In 25% of cases, they will make a mess

The first decent ones go for 8k/pop, they have 4 propellers and are more powerful and they have inertial guidance for when GPS fails/they lose contact. They might make a mess in 5% of cases, but usually in really bad weather that is also covered.

The AC ones are probably in the 25k/ mark. Huge numbers for sailing clubs, chump change for the AC.

ampthill

Ineos agreed them

Last cup got close to breaking the rules and maybe did. This year they just look to be really good at sailing

sharkbait
    Free Member

The marks are pretty cool.

I guess at the same time they update the competitors race software to give the new laylines.

thols2

match racing is a bit like nougats and crosses

Bit of a nutty analogy if you ask me.

Kramer
    Free Member

@ampthill

Last cup got close to breaking the rules and maybe did.

Could you expand on that please?

jonwe
    Free Member

According to mozzy’s analysis last night, Ineos lose about 25m per tack more than NZ. If they’re doing say 16 tacks a race that’s about 400m per race lost to tacking.

It also means that all other things being equal, Ineos are going to lose any tacking battles unless they get a close cover and give NZ dirty air almost immediately the tracking battle starts.

If I were ineos, I’d be figuring those tacks out ASAP.

Twodogs

It also means that all other things being equal, Ineos are going to lose any tacking battles unless they get a close cover and give NZ dirty air almost immediately the tracking battle starts.

But they won the second race yesterday and only cover-tacked twice.

Viewing 24 posts - 81 through 104 (of 104 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.