Home Forums Bike Forum Alternatives to Salsa Spearfish?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Alternatives to Salsa Spearfish?
  • bowglie

I’m looking around for a sort travel full suspension alternative to my gravel bike. Years ago I owned a Mk1 Salsa Spearfish (80mm rear travel) and FWIR it was described as a MTB marathon/‘adventure bike’, and it was really good for that. It looks like the market has gone all ‘down country’, so I’m struggling to spot anything affordable that’s similar to the Spearfish. Can the hive suggest any reasonably affordable frame only options?

P.S. Giant Trance 29er (115mm travel) looks interesting, but looks like I’d only get a frame second hand, which I wouldn’t rule out.

johnnystorm

I’ve had two of the 80mm Spearfishes (bought a medium and then found I needed a large). I currently ride a 140mm Evol and it doesn’t feel much less efficient than the Spearfish.

With that in mind I’m sure that a modern “down country” bike with lighter tyres and less travel would only have benefits over the old Spearfish.

Fwiw I sold my second Spearfish after I got an On-One Lurcher and found it to be just as comfortable and a whole load lighter.

molgrips
    Free Member

Down country would probably be fine. The amount of travel isn’t the defining characteristic of a bike – it’s about how the whole bike is designed. I would suggest demoing some to decide if they feel like places to pedal all day.

Even XC race bikes don’t have 80mm travel any more, because they’ve designed out the disadvantages that longer travel used to have. Now there’s no reason not to have 100-120mm.

They still make a Spearfish, it’s still aimed at endurance, and it’s got 100mm rear and 120mm up front. Looks mint, actually.

intheborders
    Free Member

I’m semi-looking at a FS like this, that would be good for bikepacking.

I do have a gravel bike which I also use but when I’m carry a load (ie more than one night out camping) I prefer to use my HT – just comfier and easier when loaded up on rougher tracks, especially descents.

I’m looking for something with a big triangle, and a tucked out of the way shock – luckily I’ve long legs. My current HT (Scandal) is modern and consequentially while it’s a brill bike to ride I’d like one with space for a bigger frame bag (I did get a custom one made, but it’s such a small triangle in the Scandal).

molgrips
    Free Member

The current Spearfish has three bottle cages, two in the main triangle, so it seems big enough.

scotroutes

I’m looking for something with a big triangle, and a tucked out of the way shock

The previous Orbea Occam was good for this but the newer version has the shock right across the frame triangle.

There are more and more FS bikes turning up at bikepacking ITTs now. The adoption of lighter and more compact kit and the reduced need to compromise on frame design so that longer travel bikes are not a hindrance are both having an influence. The old bikepacking hardtail is being squeezed out between those and gravel bikes. It’ll be interesting to see what 80 or so bikes are turned out next Saturday in Tyndrum for the HT550.

martinhutch

(Recommend what you have)

Orbea Oiz gets two bottles in the triangle. I think you can still get a 100mm travel version.

RichT

I’m still riding a 2014 Whyte M109-s which is a 100mm FS marathon bike, but looking at replacing it and so following this with interest. I don’t race, but have done an occasional marathon or duathlon so don’t want a XC race bike. I’m tempted by the Epic Evo, Scalpel SE, Oiz Tr or even a Spearfish, but the price of new bikes is terrifying.

teamslug

I have a previous version Occam in a large, if you want any dimensions or pics give me a shout. Great bike and the only keeper in my collection.

ravingdave

Santa cruz blur? Has a large ‘triangle’ and tucked away shock (under TT) lots of bottle mounts Inc under downtube

benp1

I have an Orbea Oiz TR, the 120mm version. There’s also a 100mm version. I’ll be using it for the JennRide this year

Complements my other MTB really well, which is a rigid original Cotic Solaris

bowglie

the price of new bikes is terrifying.

I know exactly what you mean, and it’s the main reason I’ve held off replacing my gravel bike. I’ve previously bought frames and used mix and match parts to build the bike, but it looks like the days of wallet friendly frame only deals are gone(?).

Thanks for the suggestions – I hadn’t thought about Orbea…hmm. I guess another option might be a second hand short travel thing, a Tallboy Mk3 appeals, but the SC tax might be prohibitive 😅

johnnystorm

In defence of modern bikes my second Spearfish, from 2013, had an RRP of £2300 and was equipped with RS Recon Gold/Ario shocks, a mix of Sram X5/X7 and Avid Elixirs. I don’t think it would be that hard to get a better bike, both in relative and absolute performance for the same amount, even ignoring inflation.

hopefiendboy

I’ll be selling my 1 year old Sonder Cortex frameset in size large which fits the spec you are looking for. Only selling as I’ve changed to the evol frameset for chunkier riding after cutting my fleet of bikes down. Mail me if interested!

damascus
    Free Member

P.S. Giant Trance 29er (115mm travel) looks interesting, but looks like I’d only get a frame second hand, which I wouldn’t rule out.

A giant anthem might be suitable. You can pick them up 2nd hand.

As scotroutes says, the previous orbea occam was really good.

How about a hardtail with a suspension seatpost?

martinhutch

I have an Orbea Oiz TR, the 120mm version. There’s also a 100mm version. I’ll be using it for the JennRide this year

Yes, but what colour is it? I need to make sure I don’t ride off on the wrong bike from the pub. 🙂

scotroutes

The downside of a longer travel frame is that it can reduce space for a seatpack. This is less of a problem if you have long legs and also if you use a 27.5 wheel/tyre. It’s certainly worth thinking about before you spend your money.

benp1

@martinhutch – The blue and red one – https://i0.heartyhosting.com/www.bikemag.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/DSCF7658.jpg?fit=1920%2C1280&ssl=1&resize=1920%2C1280

I’m colour blind so there’s more chance I’ll ride off on yours 🙂

scotroutes

https://dotwatcher.cc/feature/bikes-of-ht550-2022

As expected, a few full suspension options for Saturday’s group start.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Alternatives to Salsa Spearfish?’ is closed to new replies.