Home Forums Bike Forum Alfine 8sp spec help

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Alfine 8sp spec help
  • dingdongdingers
    Free Member

Hi,
    I’m building a Brother Kepler with an 8sp Alfine hub, and have some (probably basic) questions I can’t find answers to. Maybe some people on here can shed some light?

Looking at SLX M7000 chainset, but it needs an 11sp chain, and some people don’t recommend this with Alfine? Failing that, I’d look at Apex 1x. Any preference?
    Is it recommended to use Alfine only sprockets? are others compatible?
    Cheers.

Daffy

Chainline on an Alfine is something like 42.5mm which is lower than most singlering chainsets. Alfine hubs use specific sprokets, nothing else will fit.

Saying all that, I’m using a SRAM force 1 chainset and an 11sp chain on my Alfine 11.

ajantom

Why would a 10spd chain on an 11spd chainset not work? I don’t see any reason why it shouldn’t.

Alfine hubs use specific sprokets, nothing else will fit.

Not true at all, any 3 lobed sprocket will fit. In fact I’m currently running a Sturmey Archer one, as it’s flat and gives a better chain line.

Sturmey

alexnharvey
    Free Member

I’m also using an SA sprocket, a 1/8 in my case. You can get sprockets that are dished which helps to get the right chainline, so you have +- a couple of mm if you need it.

As ajantom says, why can’t you use a wider chain? On a cassette or a multiring crankset the chain must be narrow enough to avoid hitting the next sprocket or ring but this is not the case on a single chainring. I don’t see why you couldn’t run any wider chain on it.

shermer75
    Free Member

Yep, you can go as wide as you like with the chain.

Shimano Nexus sprockets will also work

tjagain

I used a 9p triple chsinset with my alfine. No issues on either granny ring or middle. I have used the dished sprockets. Chainline does not have to be exact

andrewh
    Free Member

I’ve used singlespeed and 9sp chains on mine. Got a double 105 crank with the ring in the outer position. It’s fine. That is on an Alfine sprocket.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Alfine 8sp spec help’ is closed to new replies.