Home Forums Bike Forum Aldi workstands?

• This topic has 22 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by daern.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Aldi workstands?
  • londoncommuter
    Free Member

As a high end cyclist, I’ve previously owned a top of the range Crivit workstand from Lidl after splashing out £25. I thought it was great (having never owned an expensive one) but sold it after building up a bike as I didn’t really have room for it.

Could do with one again and just noticed Aldi have got them from Thursday for even less at £20. Any users of both out there? They look pretty much identical but I just wanted to check there was no reason to spend the extra cash as I’ve got more chance of conning someone to get me an Aldi one (Lidl have them for the eye-watering £25):

Bargain maybe:

https://www.aldi.co.uk/bikemate-bike-assembly-stand/p/090155007282600

Luxury for spendthrifts:

https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/p/cycling-accessories/crivit-bike-workstand/p32018

damascus
    Free Member

Can you go wrong for £20?

nakedrider
    Free Member

Aldi version here. I bought it as a “portable” workstand confining my not-so-portable one to serious bike fixing duties in the garage.
    I can’t remember what I paid exactly but it was around the £20 mark about a year ago. For that price was a no brainer.
    I must say I’m impressed. Very good build & really easy to use. Loads of adjustments so you can get the right height/angle/sturdiness as required.

Only comment is to look after the feet. They’re plastic and the only part I think will break easily.

londoncommuter
    Free Member

“Can you go wrong for £20?”

No of course not and I wasn’t being serious really. Having said that, as Lidl and Aldi have both got them at the moment if there was any difference in quality then it makes sense to go for one over the other. Maybe it’s a colour thing so depends on if you’ve got a red or blue frame…….

binners

I used mine only yesterday to build a neighbours bike up for him that had arrived boxed from Halfords.

Its been going strong for years now. Its a proper sturdy bit of kit. As people have said, an absolute no brainer for 20 dabs.

I seem to remember they sold out almost immediately when I got mine. You might want to get there early

londoncommuter
    Free Member

London Lidl’s used to be clogged up for months with them but maybe that’s as they’re a nightmare to get home without a car and nobody has garages to stash them in when not being used.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Yeah they’re fine, I’ve had one for about 4 years i think.

jeffl

I think it very much depends on which colour your prefer. I got one and I can’t honestly remember if it was from Aldi or Lidl. Looks more like the current Lidl one. Mine has a nice big quick release clamp on it, like the picture below. Both the newer ones seem to have a smaller QR latch/lever.

Bike work stand.

Edit: yeah based on that link it was a Lidl one, full review here… https://dirtmountainbike.com/bike-reviews/gear-news/bargain-lidl-bike-repair-stand-29-99.html

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Mine is about the only Aldi thing that’s is still going strong years later

easily
    Free Member

I got one from Lidl earlier this year, and I couldn’t be more pleased with it. It looks very much like the example that jeffl showed.

I haven’t done any really serious work with it, but it’s been great for regular maintenance and cleaning. Folds up neatly as well.

I don’t know what the Aldi version is like, but I’d happily replace mine if I lost it. Well worth £25.

nopunk
    Free Member

I found it fine if you can balance the weight of the bike in the clamp; centered along the top tube for example. But hopeless for clamping on the seat post like so many modern bikes need as the off center weight just meant it slowly rotated into the ground no matter how hard you tightened the other clamps. After many cheap stands got a Park one in the end.

dyna-ti

Those are identical, one just has the legs fully lowered, the other not so. But function just the same and I’ve been using my aldi version for many years and it is ok, though the older screw clamp is a bit temperamental.

Also as above I found the clamp tube slips when the bike is extended out held by the post. To combat that i took it all apart and roughed up the mating surfaces. Then cranked them on solid using longer through bolts.

tinribz
    Free Member

Nipped to Lidl earlier and picked one up. Along with some tops and steaks for tea. Nice shout. Also gave a lift home to an earwig in the broccoli :o

Northwind

They’re really very good. Mine is retired into the garden for washing and stuff now, since I’ve got a fancy feedback sports one now but it’s at least 3/4s as good for about 1/4 the price, and even though it’s been outside and unloved for a year it’s still going strong.

Saccades
    Free Member

Has anyone ever sorted out attaching one to a bench vice?

The footprint is pretty big so I was wondering…

Poopscoop

@Tracey attached the clamping mechanism (I don’t know the brand) to an adjustable tv wall mount, so anything is possible with some ingenuity and patience.👍

duncancallum

It’s fine on the gravel bike but it doesn’t like the big mtb. It doesn’t like holding it at odd angles.

But saying that its 4yrs old and I’m still using it so..

twonks

I bought the Aldi one years ago and the clamp mechanism became flexible and worn after 3 years of tinkering with bikes around once or twice a week during summer months (5 bikes to look after at the time)

Still have it for emergency duties but the main bike workstand is now a Park PCS-9. This is a lot better as a stand but moving it around is a danger as it swings, twists and does what it wants – invariably leading to me twatting myself in the head with the damn thing.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Traceys bracket mount is one of the wall mount variants, annoyingly they cost the same as the big stands. I’d be looking at a pipe clamp in a rotatable vice if you have one or somehow mounting the upright against the workbench.

I agree the footprint is huge but it’s never given me cause to grumble. Likewise I found the clamps tight enough but mine only gets occasional use.

jeffl

People saying that the footprint is huge. You can always just not pull the lower collar down as much and the footprint is much smaller. That’s how I normally set mine up. Only for an aluminium hardtail so may be more of a problem for an electric enduro rig.

Tracey

Mine is a Park Tool PRS4W Wall Mounted Work Stand, not cheap but it was the best and most secure way of doing it along with a TV wall mounting bracket. It folds back to the wall so the van can get in the garage. Holds the bike firm in the clamp and even with an ebike would need to pull the wall down to fall over.

cp

Been meaning to get one for the garden for washing and sunny maintenance not in the cellar. Cheers for the heads up.

Edit – gt85 for 2 quid too

daern
    Free Member

Mine is a Park Tool PRS4W Wall Mounted Work Stand, not cheap but it was the best and most secure way of doing it along with a TV wall mounting bracket. It folds back to the wall so the van can get in the garage. Holds the bike firm in the clamp and even with an ebike would need to pull the wall down to fall over.

Thanks Tracey. I’ve seen you share this before and been impressed so it’s good to hear that it works well too! Will definitely be exploring this option when I get the garage properly sorted later this year!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Aldi workstands?’ is closed to new replies.