Home Forums Chat Forum Aldi “I’m New!”

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Aldi “I’m New!”
  • woodlikesbikes
    Free Member

I am familiar with most supermarket tactics but Aldi is taking the piss.

They have started putting “I’m New!” labels next to the price. Except it’s not new, they’ve just put the price up!

I know prices of food are going up but flat lying to your customers has got to be illegal? Surely that break advertising laws?

ernielynch

So it’s the new price?

somafunk

Print off some “I’m Free” labels and sticker bomb them all

frankconway
    Free Member

What’s your point?
    If it’s a new product/changed size etc – ‘I’m new’ applies.
    If it’s a changed price ‘I’m new’ applies.
    They’re alerting the customer that something is new.

bearnecessities

I am familiar with most supermarket tactics

Oh my are you not 😀

Edit: even better it’s your fault already!

dyna-ti

I heard they are doing or are going to be doing Wagyu beef steaks.

Count me in.

martinhutch

Thought this was going to be about committing the noob error of packing your shopping at the till.

Edit: There were some Wagyu steaks in mine on Saturday.

binners

I spotted those on Saturday. Not tried them yet though

In other news: apparently DFS and Sports Direct are both presently having sales

binners

I know we’ve done it before, but shall we just list our favourite Aldi stuff, new or ‘legacy’

I’ll start. This stuff is awesome in it crunchy lovliness…

And they’ve got a selection of really nice Portugese wines for much cheapness at the moment

nbt

Aldi Choceur chocolate

Bloody love this stuff, aldi chocolate is fantastic

Bazz

I noticed the other day that Brewdog are also brewing their own label session IPA now with the catchy name of “ALD IPA” it’s not too bad either.

scotroutes

My biggest issue with Aldi is the way they pack “varieties”. As an example, their own brand swiss-style muesli comes in a red bag (full sugar) or a blue bag (sugar free). The boxes they are packed in contain both in equal numbers. However, around here at least, the blue bags disappear first. Even moving behind the front box, there’s often none left. Of course, they won’t break open a new box until enough red bags are sold. It’s a similar tale with the Chorizo. The spicy variant is always in low supply. I mean, if you want chorizo, of course you want the bloody spicy one!  There are other examples…. Grrrr!!!

scotroutes

@Bazz there was some sort of shenanigans going on when Aldi were selling something that looked like a Brewdog product, but rather than getting into a Colin the Caterpillar type war about it, Brewdog brought out Ald IPA and both companies agreed to donate a (small?) amount from the sales of both to a charity.

welshfarmer

@ Scotroutes. I mean, does anyone actually buy coconut flavour Greek Style Yoghurt? There will be 20 or 30 of them on the shelves and not a single honey flavour. Yet they all arrive on trays of 6 with 3 of each! I reckon they must end up dumping loads of the coconut ones and yet deliver the same old same old every time.

scotroutes

Well, I don’t buy anything expect yoghurt flavour yoghurt, so I hadn’t spotted that one, but I get your point. See also Soda vs Tonic Water 😂

chakaping

I mean, does anyone actually buy coconut flavour Greek Style Yoghurt?

Bloody love it.

With my muesli, in my curry, sometimes with a pud.

I add my own honey if required.

reluctantjumper

I am familiar with most supermarket tactics but Aldi is taking the piss.

Aldi are by far not the worst offenders on their tactics, they’re actually one of the decent ones for openness about their offers. Contrast with Tesco (and Morrisons who are following suit) with their Clubcard Price gimmick. 9/10 the Clubcard Price is no cheaper than anywhere else, all they do is artificially raise the shelf price then ‘drop’ it for Clubcard holders. Also look out for how many Aldi/Asda/Sainsburys Price Match labels Tesco use over the store. Once saw a aisle with so many of them matching Aldi that it was almost an advertisement for them!

pandhandj
    Free Member

OMG!  I didnt even know there was  spicy chorizo!

How many years have i been cheated by this!!!

lister

That Portuguese red wine is lush. I’ve also been buying their Italian Primitivo for about £5.70 which is just so drinkable…tastes like it should be £10 more.

Their salt and vinegar crisps, while not Co-op good, are pretty tasty too.

chakaping

I must pick up a bottle of that Portuguese white, see if it’s anywhere near as good as the red.

zilog6128

so what? It’s just a breed of cattle. Do you think a UK discount supermarket is going to have meat raised to the same standard as in Japan where it was made famous for its quality? 😂 Ultimate marketing guff.

irc
    Free Member

Aldi ribeye steaks are not bad.

scotroutes

OMG! I didnt even know there was spicy chorizo!

How many years have i been cheated by this!!!

Shit. I shouldn’t have mentioned it. Still, as long as you’re not in my local store, I shouldn’t have made the situation any worse.

chakaping

Think these are new to Aldi actually, and bloody amazing…

https://groceries.aldi.co.uk/en-GB/p-snackrite-salt-vinegar-peanuts-200g/4088600558493

Can’t believe I have to type my own HTML img tags now, this site is a **** joke.

w00dster

Aldi are German aren’t they?

In terms of their Wagu beef….

”Aldi sources its Wagyu beef from Warrendale Farms, which is the largest producer of British Wagyu beef, producing more than 4,000 animals across its main site and 125 partner farms around the UK. All the animals enjoy great quality living conditions and are reared for a minimum of 24 months giving it its distinctive marbling and amazing taste”

Its clearly not Japanese, but here’s a link to where the beef is sourced from:-

https://warrendale-wagyu.co.uk/who-we-are/

Home

chakaping

Their wagyu burgers were very tasty, TBF

johndoh
    Free Member

In other news: apparently DFS and Sports Direct are both presently having sales

Really? When do they end?

Mister-P
    Free Member

I know this will probably offend the meat eaters of STW but Aldi vegan kebab pieces are pretty damn good for post-pub feasting.

https://groceries.aldi.co.uk/en-GB/p-plant-menu-spiced-kebab-pieces-made-with-soya-protein-280g/4061464443174

scotroutes

Ah. Might try them. Mrs S is a veggie.

monkeyboyjc

My biggest issue with Aldi is how the media repeatedly call them (and Lidl) “discount supermarkets” they don’t discount, they sell different brands.

Its like calling Halfords a discount cycle shop.

nbt

@chakaping wrote: Can’t believe I have to type my own HTML img tags now

No, just drop the image URL into the “source” box, you don’t have to upload an image. Code is smart enough to figure it out, I just used Aldi’s own image up there that way

zilog6128

Their wagyu burgers were very tasty, TBF

of course, it’s actually pretty difficult to make a bad burger patty if you start with decent meat, as that’s all it is really! But what part of the distinctive marbling pattern of the steak comes across once it’s all been ground up? 🤔 Emperors new clothes springs to mind 😂

My biggest issue with Aldi is how the media repeatedly call them (and Lidl) “discount supermarkets” they don’t discount, they sell different brands.

”Founded in 1913 in Essen, Germany, the first store was opened by Anna Albrecht – which gives you half of the name, reports the Mirror.

The DI in the name comes from Diskont, which in English means Discount. Albrect-Diskont was then shortened to Aldi in 1961 by Anna’s sons Karl and Theo, who took over the store after fighting in World World II. “🤔

ElShalimo

dyna-ti

Their wagyu burgers were very tasty

I hope they aren’t selling them at a premium price. Thing about wagyu is it is a heavily marbled meat, but with burgers its a minced product and you can add as much or as little fat as you want, it all gets minced together.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.