Home Forums Bike Forum Adjustable stem on carbon fork question.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Adjustable stem on carbon fork question.
  • mrbigglesworth
    Free Member

So I got a new road bike (big discount and on cycle scheme, bonus!) to put on a turbo for some indoor winter training.

My wife (who like spinning at the gym) would like to be able to use the bike on the trainer as well. This poses some problems. She’s a couple inches shorter than me, but based on height is ok on a 54 road bike as well (just). I don’t want to throw $$ at this if it isn’t going to work, but I thought it might be worth spending a a little bit, because if I can get her happy on it, it would make her happy.

The main first thing I need to adjust is that she prefers a slightly more upright position and I need to shorten the reach for her. I’m thinking an adjustable stem could be just the thing here, between that and seat height adjustment, we would be almost there (the slightly bigger issue of her larger seat bone width to deal with…).

Now I’ve used it a few weeks, I feel as though the reach is a touch long/low so I was planning on changing the stem (prob a flipped stem would do most of the trick) anyway.

I’ve seen two types of adjustable stem, one that hinge just in front of the stem (e.g. BBB BHS-29) and ones that hinge above the stem (BBB BHS-35 high fix style). The latter may give me a touch more versatility, but I’m concerned about whether the pressure point essentially being above the steerer as I have a carbon fork. Is there any issue with this (whilst it is in a fixed position on the turbo)?

BTW- When the bike actually hits the road, I’d probably change back to a fixed height/length stem btw, as it will only be set up for me then!

TiRed

100 mm 3T adjustable stem will be fine. You can rotate the bars up for higher and shorter reach. But with modern stems, you will have to loosen the bolts on the binding plate to rotate the bars.

Do it. You can always shift with rotated bars (set it for your wife of course) and you don’t need the brakes anyway.

Stems are stems as far as carbon steerers are concerned. You should mount a spacer above your stem on carbon, and use an expander not a star but, but otherwise no difference.

hols2
    Free Member

As far as the stress on the fork goes, the only thing that matters is the position of the grips (i.e. your hands) and how much force you put through them (i.e. your weight and power). How that gets to the fork doesn’t matter, it’s just a basic geometry question. As long as everything is properly fitted and adjusted, it doesn’t matter where the pivot on the adjustable stem is, the only thing that matters is where the grips are. So, short answer, it doesn’t matter.

epicyclo

Seeing as it’s reach that’s the problem, maybe a tandem stoker stem.

SJSCycles do this but they have others.

Poopscoop

I’ve used a cheap adjustable on a turbo bike with carbon steerer until a week or so ago funnily enough. No issue with the carbon steerer BUT the way the stem locks into position was a *big* issue.

There was a few degrees movement, even when locked. When out of the saddle and pulling on the bars the experience was bloody bad….

Used it to get idea of stem length/ride needed
    then got a normal stem the length and rise I needed.

Hope that makes sense? The dearer adjustable ones might be better perhaps?….

mrbigglesworth
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. The suggestions here showed me stems that I didn’t know even existed. Picked up a cheap BBB that hinges in front of the step (BHS 29) so will try that. If I need a bit more height or the reach isn’t quite right will then try a different one!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Adjustable stem on carbon fork question.’ is closed to new replies.