Home Forums Chat Forum ACQ treated hardwood… how does it age?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • ACQ treated hardwood… how does it age?
  • reeksy

When you can’t find the answers elsewhere… ask STW!

We are getting hardwood weatherboard cladding fitted to a house renovation. The timber is ACQ treated and I’m trying to find out if it ‘silvers’ as it ages similarly to untreated wood. Neither architect nor builder is sure.

Anybody know?

kormoran
    Free Member

APPEARANCE | ACQ treated timber will weather to a honey brown colour before fading to a driftwood grey after exposure to the elements

Found this on a timber website. Didn’t bother looking further

You wanna use stainless fixings

My mate used stainless nails hand hammered flush so no bruising with a nail gun. Looks pukka nearly 10;years on

reeksy

Hmmm… thanks. You must have a different version of Google to me, I found nothing like that.

It’s encouraging, although specifies that the wood will initially have a green appearance… which ours doesn’t.

maccruiskeen

‘Hardwood’ is a bit of a broad term – ebony is a hardwood, so is balsa. How the wood will weather will depend on what the wood actually is rather than any treatment that has been applied.

sandboy

I’m not sure if the same applies but I used treated softwood feather edge boards to construct our garden fences when we moved here over 25 years ago which had a green tinge to them when new and has aged to a lovely silver grey over time.

reeksy

Hardwood’ is a bit of a broad term

True. It’s Spotted Gum. Anyway we’ll try it and see what happens.

joshvegas
    Free Member

‘Hardwood’ is a bit of a broad term – ebony is a hardwood, so is balsa. How the wood will weather will depend on what the wood actually is rather than any treatment that has been applied.

It’s Australia…. It’s all **** hardwood, both literally and in the sense it tries to jump up and headbut you, sting you or generally dead you in any way it can.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.