Home Forums Bike Forum Aaaargh, can’t get the end caps off my front hub

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Aaaargh, can’t get the end caps off my front hub
  • fettling
    Free Member

I have a 2018 specialized chisel which the front hub bearings are on their way out. Should the boost spacers just pull off? Any tips to help as they are loose and wiggly but due to my weak hands I cannot seem to get them to budge?

kayak23

They don’t have two little holes in do they?
    Mine do and I stick an Allen key through then pull them off.

fettling
    Free Member

I’ll have to check in the daylight, but didn’t see anything obvious just now.

nixie
    frogstomp

The specs suggest the front wheel may have torque caps – do they look like this?

If so then, yes, they should pull out – they are held in place by a rubber o-ring. They can be snug though – try rocking them from side to side as you pull, and maybe use some narrow pliers to hold them (put a cloth over to prevent scratches).

Northwind

O-ring’d caps can be seriously stuck on but twisting will break that pretty easily. molegrips on both ends and you’re pretty much guaranteed to break one free. Then generally once one’s off you have more options.

Also worth seeing if you can get a drift onto the inside edge from the opposite side- sometimes the end caps have a smaller diameter than the axle

munkiemagik
    Free Member

I dont know if this is a bad idea or not but I had some old DT swiss wheels with stubborn end caps. I didn’t have a vice or anything remotely sensible to try and pry them off with so:

I just used the axle, poke it into the end cap just enough to not go into the hub body itself and use that to slowly wiggle the end cap loose, worked a charm

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Aaaargh, can’t get the end caps off my front hub’ is closed to new replies.