Home Forums Chat Forum 6 music weekend schedule changes (2021)?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 106 total)
  • 6 music weekend schedule changes (2021)?
  • bigginge

As usual I’ve got now playing on tonight while I make some dinner for me and MsGinge and I think I heard Tom mentioning something about a new schedule for 6 music at the weekends. I can’t find anything online about this yet so was wondering if anyone else has noticed this sort of announcement today (paying more attention to it than me) so I don’t have to try and find that but on iplayer.

I think he was saying that him and Nemone would be loosing a show a piece but also that liz Kershaw would be leaving. It’s a shame about Tom and nemone but I’d be happy to hear if I’m right about liz.

binners

Please god, let’s hear the last of Brian Pern Giles Peterson and his Bolivian Flute orchestra’s and other such nonsense

Tom-B
    Free Member

Agreed Binners! (…and I did a masters in contemporary music!)

As long as Huey, Craig Charles and Cerys survive I’ll be happy. Have loved Loyle Carners guest show too.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Try NTS. Far superior independent radio.

scratch
    Free Member

+1 for NTS!

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Please god, let’s hear the last of Brian Pern Giles Peterson and his Bolivian Flute orchestra’s and other such nonsense

Here’s hoping. Absolute tosh.

traildog
    Free Member

I love Giles Peterson’s show. I cannot stand Huey’s. It just goes to show you cannot please everyone all the time.

simondbarnes

but also that liz Kershaw would be leaving

Please let this be true

sharkattack

I listen all day on a Saturday and only tune out when Liz is on.

Giles can be trying but he still serves up obscure gems.

The only thing I wish for, which they will never do, is ditch the hourly news bulletin. No matter good the music is the news is guaranteed to ruin the mood.

Tom-B
    Free Member

I too listen all day Saturday (as long as I’m in a new van at work). Agree re Kershaw and the news!!! It was insane yesterday, at one point there was an item about dog thefts that was littered with puns 🙄 I know that not everyone is a dog lover, but christ!

Giles was actually alright yesterday, but I’m a huge Pino Palladino fanboy

garlando

Gilles kept me sane during lockdown 1. Have always loved his show since radio 1 days. The only person I could happily do without is Liz Kershaw. Everyone’s different I suppose.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Indeed, we all have different tastes. I like 6 music and have discovered music I wouldn’t have heard on other stations. I just find Giles Peterson too much like the Fast Show’s Jazz Club. I’ve tried but it’s just not for me.

Liz Kershaw – I think we all agree it’s time for a change.

tuboflard

I’m glad people like different music. Gilles is the highlight of my musical week. Some of his choices are forgettable but he’ll then serve up an absolute classic. I’ve discovered more new music through his show than any other.

I’d wholeheartedly agree on Liz though. Hope she gets canned double quick. @Brant isn’t much of a fan according to his Twitter feed…

kayak23

Have loved Loyle Carners guest show too.

How many times did he go ‘ugh…’ ?

Merak

Liz Kershaw – I think we all agree it’s time for her to be put out of her misery.

Please take Steve ‘Elastica, Idles, NME Lamaque’ with you and never re-appear.

Merak

How many times did he go ‘ugh…’ ?

It’s more like ‘oingh’ 😅

Aye that’s an affectation I wish he would ditch.

His artist in residence playlists were pretty on point though.

rOcKeTdOg

Hoping Mark & Stuart aren’t under threat, listening to them on catch up on my commute are the only highlight of going into work

sc-xc

Liz is OK, Giles is OK, huey/radmac/Craig Charles excellent. Keaveny toss and Cerys unlistenable..too much yodelling for me.

Goea to show though, I’m glad there are some things I hate and thag some people love them…

fingerbang
    Free Member

Fantastic news about Kershaw. My prayers have been answered

Hopefully she can get a low paid job on the graveyard shift on North Norfolk radio

And lamaq really has got bad, boring ‘features’ and odd crap songs

Anyway, giles petersen is a weekend highlight you haters are just bloody wrong :)

He’s had some great shows, interviews with DJ premier and a j dilla special. Love it

I struggle with cerys to be honest, turn of last century ragtime bluegrass not for me

llama

Like Gile’s show, but then I like a bit of jazz. To be fair, he plays a lot of dance too, his show the weekend after weatheral died last year was moving.

Huey is a proto national treasure

Liz is boooring, it’s the playlist apart from when it’s not the playlist it’s really dull music. I mean music that was dull the first time, let alone when you played it again. Her and Lamaq have something on the BBC management I’m telling you.

Listening to SM now, his Sunday show is right up my freaky alley

llama

Oh yes, I love Cerys’ show. Folk/blues/world music/poetry. On the face of it, should be shyte, somehow she manages it.

Mrs Llama hates it (and Giles)

cb200
    Free Member

RadMac should never have been moved from weekdays (Although was MR’s health issues anything to do with that?)

I’ll happily listen to Giles, Kershaw and most others, just please get rid of Cerys and Steve Lamacq

slforrest

Think they are announcing the new line up on Tuesday. On Saturday Liz mentioned she was moving to host a Sunday legends (bit like Glasto) slot. Not heard anything else – will be happy if they keep RadMac and lose GP

sparkola

Yep, Liz said she was moving to a Sunday legends interview-type show.

dc1988

I’d happily have some more Loyle Carner, good music and quite soothing to listen to.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Just please leave Gideon Coe on weekdays 9pm until midnight.

I will not hear a bad thing said about him!

2tyred

Loyle Carner’s been great. Hope they get him back.

Love Radcliffe & Maconie on a Sunday morning, much better slot than weekdays.

I love Cerys’ show, always brings interesting stuff.

Can’t understand the Gilles haters, what’s the matter with you?? That’s Gilles Peterson!

Could live without Nemone, music’s fine but the chat’s poor.

Better not be getting rid of Now Playing, that’s a great show and nice lead into the Freak Zone, one of the best shows.

CountZero

While I only get to listen to small sections of shows mornings and evenings, I don’t know what you mean by “ boring ‘features’ and odd crap songs”; there are ‘odd crap songs’ on every show! And far fewer than any other stations I can think of. I like Cerys as well, but then I’ve seen Catatonia and Cerys live on many occasions, even been on stage adding percussion to a song, and she’s a really lovely person, I’ll hear no bad words about her.
    I wouldn’t be surprised if it isn’t her accent that grates with some people…
    Peterson, not my thing, but I never listen on Saturdays anyway. Nemone, well, her obsession with electro and ‘beats’ leaves me cold as well; some bands like Orbital, Aphex Twin and a few others I like the odd track or two, but that’s about it.

BigJohn

After a good ride on Sunday mornings I often find my legs are a bit sore after I desperately sprint over to the radio to hit the off button to avoid hearing Amy bloody Lame. Just what is it she finds so chucklesome? And, no thanks I don’t need a chilled out Sunday, and all French songs are not a genre.

sadexpunk

I don’t know what you mean by “ boring ‘features’ and odd crap songs”

i guess they mean stuff like kids guessing songs from watching videos, “tell us about a time you were late for work and the car wouldnt start” type of intellect, and my personal dislike (altho i dont think he does it now), when his ‘profiler’ had to guess who the caller was, male/female, how much money they had in their pocket, favourite book etc with total guesswork. “ooh close enough, half a point for that” etc….. what a load of old tosh.

saying that tho, i do like the music on his show, i vote ‘keep lammo’, just knock the crap features on the head.
    radcliffe and maconie is essential listening (and dont you dare say their features are crap, nowt up with ‘crisps on the radio’ :D ), i make sure i get up at 7 at weekends to listen or catch it on Sounds, easily the best thing on the radio.

binners

Like Gile’s show, but then I like a bit of jazz.

I’ve tried. I really have. One of my neighbours, who’s become a good mate, is your archetypal jazz fan (retired university lecturer, proper child of the 60’s). When we get together (which pre-covid was pretty regular) he’ll shove some on to try and convert me. I humour him but it’s just dreadful.

I’m pretty open minded and like all types of music, but I can’t get any enjoyment out of jazz at all. Far too much pointless noodling.

I have 6 music on a lot at the weekend, but it goes off as soon as Giles starts is Algerian bongo collectives or whatever it is this week. I just find the whole thing a bit too ‘Nathan Barley’

white101

Very disappointed to hear Tom Robinson is losing a weekend show I find his show very easy to listen to.
    I think the weekend stuff is a good mix of everything, I’m not a fan of Liz or some of the music Giles P plays but I’m not going to say they should be off air.
    The worst waste of space everyday not just weekends is the news. If I’m driving it gets the mute treatment instantly, as mentioned above nothing sucks the life out of good chat and music like the words ‘boris Johnson has said today….’ just get rid of it. And adverts for shows.

sharkattack

Unrelated to the regular schedule but I liked the few occasions when Henry Rollins sat in for Iggy Pop. He doesn’t ‘umm’ and ‘ahh’, he doesn’t waffle, and he’s a massive music nerd. He’s fully immersed in both the reality and mythology of rock and roll and will give you all the trivia and fun facts behind every track he plays.

I get peoples intolerance of Giles but in his defence here are some bangers which I heard on his show for the first time and they’re still on rotation in my house.

Obviously there’s loads more but I need to make more effort to save the best tracks he plays for future use.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Ah I’d forgotten about Iggy….love his show! It’s just batshit half of the time….but brilliant for it. Always cheers me up on a Friday night shift if I can get his show on.

Agree re Amy Lame @bigjohn really annoying! I’d vote getting rid of her, giving her slot to Loyle Carner and Guy Garvey returning to his slot.

Duggan

Its a mystery to me how Liz Kershaw and Steve Lamaq are still there.

I assume the news is a statutory obligation placed on any broadcaster so they wouldn’t be able to get rid of it even if they wanted.

fingerbang
    Free Member

While I only get to listen to small sections of shows mornings and evenings, I don’t know what you mean by “ boring ‘features’ and odd crap songs”; there are ‘odd crap songs’ on every show! And far fewer than any other stations I can think of. I like Cerys as well, but then I’ve seen Catatonia and Cerys live on many occasions, even been on stage adding percussion to a song, and she’s a really lovely person, I’ll hear no bad words about her.
    I wouldn’t be surprised if it isn’t her accent that grates with some people…
    Peterson, not my thing, but I never listen on Saturdays anyway. Nemone, well, her obsession with electro and ‘beats’ leaves me cold as well; some bands like Orbital, Aphex Twin and a few others I like the odd track or two, but that’s about it.

re lamaq. Most of my listening is weekday and I genuinely love the line up from Laverne to Gideon Coe.

Its only lamaqs show that hits a bum note. Im fairly sure that the playlist goes from laverne to lamaq but im fairly sure that each DJ and their production team gets a fair degree of latitude with what’s played. I love Keaveney’s show cos he shares my musical taste, i.e fair smattering of hip hop, rock and will play a smashing pumpkins song just to listen to jimmy chamberlin’s drumming. Plus i find him witty – probably cos im northern.

but when lammo comes on its just mundane features and always either plays britpop or late 90s tunes in some kind of nostalgia for when he was at Radio 1, and then also plays oddball genuinely crap songs. Like the other day played hazel o connor and then also this sixties novelty chart song that was like ‘right said fred’ but not as good, for absolutely no apparent reason and for the enjoyment of no-one

I like lammo cos he’s a nice guy and i always used to listen to ’round table’ (has that been jettisoned).

weekend bum notes are definitely liz kershaw (see ya!) and probbably Amy Lame, although she’s not as objectionable. Kershaw is like a rochdale dinner lady who went to a few gigs when she was younger, like everyone else, and goes on about them but with no insight and doesnt know anything about music. like interviewed woody woodmansey from spiders from mars, made a big deal about seeing Spiders back in the day, but then proceeded to get loads wrong so Woody had to keep correcting her. And she supports Brexit

id say Gideon coe and Guy garvey are like ‘alan’s hot bath’ when it comes to relaxation

tthew

They should get rid of the whole triumvirate of boring, middleclass white blokes.

Lemacq
    Keaveny
    Hawkins.

It really annoyed me that Lemacq had months of shielding during lockdown one, presumably on full and generous pay, (why not broadcast from home? Marc Riley manages it!) and came back with the same tedious local radio **** unimaginative content he’s been doing since Moses was a lad. He should be fired into the sun.

edit – sorry, not entirely relevant as not about weekend schedule. As you were.

Duggan

I’m torn with Keaveny as I think he’s got a great taste in music but find him pretty tedious as a presenter.

nicko74

Please take Steve ‘Elastica, Idles, NME Lamaque’ with you and never re-appear.

YES! He’s just tedious and out of touch; the music isn’t bad, but it is a bit one note. The BBC is an odd place: Simon Mayo and Tom Robinson get nudged out; Lamacq, Steve Wright and Kershaw have tenure.

sharkattack

Lamaque just plays stuff that was hyped in the middle pages of the NME in the mid 90’s then completely forgotten about. I always thought someone out there must be enjoying it but maybe not.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 106 total)

The topic ‘6 music weekend schedule changes (2021)?’ is closed to new replies.