Home Forums Chat Forum 6 Music and Internet Streaming

• This topic has 33 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Jamze.
Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • 6 Music and Internet Streaming
  • BigJohn

I thought I’d made the right choice when I paid quite a lump on a Yamaha Streaming Amp. MusicCast gives me high quality access to Internet radio, Spotify, Tidal, etc.

But recently I’ve been getting messages on the hour, interrupting BBC stations saying BBC is going to stop internet carriers (Tune-In and the like, can’t off hand remember the one that Yamaha uses) from streaming it’s signal.

Oh, well, I thought, I’ll just go onto BBC Sounds on my Android phone and cast it to the amp. What?!?!?!. That’s changed too. The facility to cast or send it to any other device has been taken away.

Apart from plugging my phone into the 3.5 jack, I don’t know any other way of doing it. Ok, maybe Bluetooth, but c’mon, I was enjoying the quality of the signal.

Is this going to affect Sonos and smart speakers too? Both things I’ve been determined to avoid. Should I sell my big amp and accept mediocre sound or is there another way?

sadexpunk

also got MusicCast on my yamaha streaming amp. probably not the same as yours but can you not just listen through DAB?

I could be wrong, but I doubt BBC broadcast in hi-def anyway, so you aren’t really going to lose much via BT – what Codecs are your phone and amp capable of?

Bluetooth really isn’t the devil incarnate these days

Still, I get your annoyance. BBC innit

As above though – DAB?

IHN

Oh, well, I thought, I’ll just go onto BBC Sounds on my Android phone and cast it to the amp. What?!?!?!. That’s changed too. The facility to cast or send it to any other device has been taken away.

*Checks*

No it hasn’t. At least not on my, or MrsIHN’s, Android phones. We use it regularly.

Edit – we cast to Chromecast, fwiw

ElShalimo

Have you tried RadioPlayer app?

Or is that Bluetooth only?

Yak

The Sonos app supports BBC sounds. Don’t know about other set-ups though. If it didn’t I would probably get a DAB tuner as it has to less faff than internet radio.

phil5556

BBC Sounds has only been added to Sonos in the last couple of years so hopefully it’s here to stay but I guess it could change at any point. You can’t play from TuneIn or Radio Player anymore.

I can still AirPlay from BBC Sounds on iOS.

flannol
    Free Member

Idk if this is of any use but I can say “hey google play bbc radio 4/2/6” on the little round thing in the kitchen, and it plays. And I’m *pretty* certain I can make that play via a bluetooth speaker

robola

I think your issue is Yamaha MusicCast I’m afraid. It doesn’t look like Yamaha are interested in developing the software to respond to the evolving streaming landscape. I’ve just sold a MusicCast device as although it sounded good I found the software irritating. Mine never supported casting, I’m not sure if they are all the same but I guess they are.

I’m deeply suspicious of the move to integrate everything into one box. Amplifier tech is pretty mature, if you have a good, 10 year old amp, it will still be good. Streaming tech is cheap as chips, E.g. chromecast audio and 4k video streamers that deal with far more data than audio. That leaves the next Hi-Fi snake oil ‘high quality DACs’, DACs have been around for decades now but all of a sudden there is a drive to sell you better ones. The Hi-Fi industry has a long and not so illustrious track record of doing this. So you buy everything integrated and bits of it will be obsolete. I’ll keep my old amp and add streaming devices to it thanks.

scuttler

I have the same issue on Bose SoundTouch which streams BBC via TuneIn. I can use Airplay from the Sounds App, BUT Airplay isn’t supported on stereo pairs, and lack of built-in support also breaks the physical buttons on the SoundTouch that I use to turn the radio on and tune it to one of six presets (old skool but convenient).

Simon

I use a Chromecast Audio plugged into my amp to stream BBC radio from the BBC Sounds App on my phone.
    Great little device, don’t know why Google discontinued them.

scuttler

Turns out BBC removed / removing content from TuneIn because they weren’t able to glean listener data from the service. And we all know data = £££.

Tossers.

robola

TBF to the beeb they are budget constrained and need to make hard choices about what radio stations to fund. If they can’t work out how many people listen to a station then they can’t make that decision.

nicko74

scuttler
    Turns out BBC removed / removing content from TuneIn because they weren’t able to glean listener data from the service. And we all know data = £££.

This! That said, other internet radios I use (Roberts, some Google one etc) don’t get the “this content is going away” message, which suggests they have complied with the BBC’s requirements. So, as above, it may be Yamaha to blame on this one unfortunately.

scuttler

TBF to the beeb they are budget constrained and need to make hard choices about what radio stations to fund. If they can’t work out how many people listen to a station then they can’t make that decision.

I expect the desire for data mining goes far beyond this. “Citizen, you will be monitized”

doctorgnashoidz
    Free Member

The BBC makes all their radio stations available as really high bit rates

http://a.files.bbci.co.uk/media/live/manifesto/audio/simulcast/hls/uk/sbr_high/ak/bbc_radio_fourfm.m3u8
    http://a.files.bbci.co.uk/media/live/manifesto/audio/simulcast/hls/uk/sbr_high/ak/bbc_radio_two.m3u8

I’m listening to these a lot and I don’t get any interuptions. I do use bbc sounds too but sometimes this is just easier using VLC.

Chromecasts I use a lot for bbc radio as well, they aren’t gapless but for radio streams it doens’t matter.

robola

I expect the desire for data mining goes far beyond this. “Citizen, you will be monitized”

I think you might be overestimating the value of knowing somebody’s radio listening habits.

maccruiskeen

I think your issue is Yamaha MusicCast I’m afraid. It doesn’t look like Yamaha are interested in developing the software to respond to the evolving streaming landscape.

This is an issue across a whole raft of ‘smart’ devises from streaming amps to wifi fridges – manufacturers making no commitment to support them and not being required to. We have a ‘right to repair now’ but an unsupported smart devise isnt ‘broken’.

As a comparison – I buy power tools from a manufacturer noted for being quite a bit more expensive than the rest – one of the reassurances they give is they’ve continue provided spares and repairs back-up for 10 years after the date of last manufacturer (not the date of purchase but from the last day a product comes off the assembly line) . I’ve got stuff I bought nearly 10 years ago that is still in production so even if they cut that line tomorrow they’d still be supported for the next decade.

Which did a survey of smart devises recently and found the majority of manufacturers offer no or next to no commitment to support the devices the sell even though the added features are sold at a considerable premium – Samsung will support its smart tvs for two years – not two years from the date you buy it, not two years from the date of last manufacture – two years from the release date of the devise – so there will be TVs (or frisées, or washing machines, ore various smart and streaming audio gear etc) on shelves in the shops that the manufacturers may already have ceased providing updates and support for – if they ever even offered it.

sadmadalan

The BBC needs to know how many people listen to them, because that is how they are judged. If TuneIn and the rest can’t be bothered to update their software, then they can’t carry the Beeb. But it can be done – see Sonos.

But the big problem is that technology is constantly changing and software always needs updating. Gone are the days of expecting your Hi-Fi, radio, etc to keep working for years. Expect about 5 years before a tech refresh (i.e. new kit) is required. Or could just buy some speakers, a boring amp and then update how you connect to that. But we all like the one box solutions

maccruiskeen

Or could just buy some speakers, a boring amp and then update how you connect to that

I listen to my internet radio on an amp I prevented from being thrown into a skip 25 years ago

robola

This is an issue across a whole raft of ‘smart’ devises from streaming amps to wifi fridges – manufacturers making no commitment to support them.

It is is indeed, including the voice control infrastructure itself – Alexa losses

nedrapier

Max BBC sounds streaming rate is 320kbps

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/help/questions/about-bbc-sounds-and-our-policies/codecs-bitrates

Bluetooth aptX codec is 356kbps. So if your bluetooth receiver is relatively modern, you’re lossless from BBC sounds to your amp.

Sandwich

It’s the move to new CODEC for streaming either DASH or HLS. Those of us that moved away from Sounds to Receiver to gain a working radio alarm may have to head back. It wasn’t clear if the App people will be able to hard-code the high bit-rate stream into the directory as they are based in Germany.

timber

Got a similar message on my Monitor Audio alarm clock radio a few years ago. Cursed myself that I didn’t buy the DAB version just because I lived somewhere without signal at the time.
    Anyway, come the deadline I just found BBC listed elsewhere on internet radio.

Hoping that will be the case again as we have a few MusicCast devices. The receiver in the evening room would just need the DAB aerial connecting, but the stand alone soundbar we use in the kitchen would need it Bluetoothing to from an app rather than just a button press on the remote as we currently do which is much simpler. Same again for the stand alone speaker in the craft room.

Didn’t really trust any manufacturer to support stuff for as long as I kept it, so went with the one with consistently good hardware so still got a good media player and sound bar.

bigdean

I have the same issue as the op (Yamaha music cast amp) trouble is I can’t use DAB as the signal not good enough and drops out/ breaks up. Having to pair a device everytime I want to use it will get old very quick where I just find a station that does work.

Yamaha not issuing an update is not great and will be avoiding them in future

nedrapier

Bigdean, I followed instructions like these: not the same, but similar. Solved my signal issues. Well worth a try!

DIY : DAB Antenna

bigdean

Cheers, I’ll give that a go.

BigJohn

A bit odd though, seeing that the BBC director general was saying only the other week that the future was internet only and yet they’re making it harder to listen over the internet.

bluerob

I had this on a Bose SoundTouch 10. Switching my presets from TuneIn to RadioPlayer for BBC stations seems to have stopped the warnings.

As @Sandwich said, the BBC are standardising their supported formats, so are shutting off the old ones, which my TuneIn presets were using.

I’m guessing that the RadioPlayer streams I’ve now told the Bose to use are the new formats, so no warnings. No firmware update required, just changing the presets from the phone app to use RadioPlayer and not TuneIn stations.

scuttler

@bluerob sincere thanks!! Never heard of Radioplayer but I’ve now added it as a service in the app, retuned my favourites, and my beloved buttons still work. Let’s hope it has some longevity!

Edit: it’s a BBC partnership so hopefully has legs – https://radioplayer.co.uk/about-radioplayer-uk

Twodogs

Switching my presets from TuneIn to RadioPlayer for BBC stations seems to have stopped the warnings.

Can I ask how you did that? I’ve tried (albeit halfheartedly) once or twice but got some error message (which I can’t check now cos I’m not home)

bluerob

I don’t remember having to do anything to add Radioplayer as a service to the SoundTouch app, but once it’s there, select it as a source from the “hamburger” drop-down menu and search for “BBC <whatever>”.

Radioplayer’s site says for Bose “ Add Radioplayer in the Bose app under Music Services, then play any station.”

scuttler

SoundTouch App, Click the ≡, Add Service, Radioplayer. Then click Radioplayer in the top half of the ≡ and search up your preferred BBC stations. Once tuned in select the six-square preset and hold down the preset number you want to save it as.

Jamze

This all started several years ago for Alexa users. BBC coming off TuneIn, saying you must use the BBC Sounds skill instead. It still doesn’t support multiroom or stereo 👎🏻

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.