Home Forums Bike Forum 29er slick tyre for use on turbo trainer – help please?!!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • 29er slick tyre for use on turbo trainer – help please?!!
  • warns74
    Free Member

Hi all,

Long story short, im off the bike for a while with a shoulder injury but am looking to keep some fitness up on a turbo trainer (dull I know but needs must!).

I have Stans Crest 29er rims and currently run Maxxis Ardent’s but it is too big (volume) to fit on the wheel of my borrowed turbo trainer.

Will a 700 road tyre work ok on this rim and if so what width should I get as a minimum. Looking for a cheap low profile slick to put on there. Any issues I should be aware of in terms of getting it on or any recommendations?

Thanks 🙂

tang
    Free Member

I got the cheapest 28 tyre I could get.

mboy
    Free Member

Anything wide enough to go on the rim ok will be fine.

I’d just go with a 32c Hybrid tyre or the like…

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

I’d just go with a 32c Hybrid tyre or the like…

… to go with your *cough* hybrid.

Sorry 😛

(I’ll get my coat)

mrblobby
    Free Member

Get the heaviest hardest wearing one though, none of that soft sticky rubber on a turbo.

warns74
    Free Member

Not worried about tyre quality, it will only get used for 6 weeks so looking for a cheap one which I guess will be a pretty hard compound anyway.

So is 700 x 32c ok on a Crest?

wellywheels
    Free Member

I’ve had 23mm road tyres on my crest rims!

warns74
    Free Member

Blimey, wellywheels thats tiny! Im really just looking for something cheap thats easy to get on that I can use for a month or two.

bikeneil
    Free Member

Get a specific training tyre. Normal tyres can delaminate with the heat if you’re on it for more than about thirty minutes in one go.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘29er slick tyre for use on turbo trainer – help please?!!’ is closed to new replies.