Home Forums Bike Forum 29er DH/heavy duty tyres, what do people recommend?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • 29er DH/heavy duty tyres, what do people recommend?
  • farmerguy

Looking for a rear DH or heavy duty 29er tyre for trips to Finale and the Alps. The only thing I can find is a DH casing Maxxis DHF. What do people recommend?

On a side note, do people think I can get away with an Exo tyre on the front for Finale?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I had a set of the DHF’s – these ones in fact :)

Felt like proper old school DH tyres mate is still running them back in Oz

tomhoward

The new Maxxis Assegai will do, not sure when it’s out though, tread is a mix of DHF and DHR

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Could you get away with doubledown for Maxxis? Gives you a few more options.

twistedpencil

I’ve got away with EXOs for the mega the last two years. Looking for something a bit bigger this year as more have become available.

richwak
    Free Member

Michelin Wild Rock r2

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/michelin-wild-rock-r2-advanced-reinforced-tyre/rp-prod116032

Or the wild grip r2

have run these for last few weeks including a 6 day Enduro in the alps with zero punctures. Highly recommended. Make sure you get the advanced reinforced version.

Shandy
    Free Member

There are Doubledown 2.3s in the DHR2 and Aggressor. I have punctured so many EXOs on the back that I stopped using them, but the Doubledowns lasted 5 days in Finale with no problems.

I use an EXO on the front at home but I’ll change it for Finale, I normally use folding DH tires there now because there’s very little chance they’ll puncture and the extra volume and grip is nice after a couple of days.

Northwind

The Minion DH carcass DHF is pretty damn good on the back tbh, and surprisingly light- it’s a foldy dualply rather than wire which makes me think WHY DIDN’T YOU DO THIS IN LIKE 2009 FFS.

100mph
    Free Member

Put Procore or Deaneasy in and you can run any weight tyre you want with required tread and compound ;)

WRT new Maxxis Assegai, don’t hold your breath!  Stock due in to UK soon but have been told most of it will go out to Press/Mag/Web reviews :(

cookeaa

Butcher Grid?

Shandy
    Free Member

I haven’t tried the Procore or Deaneasy but I’m not sure they would help. I seem to be ripping the EXOs at the tread blocks, not pinch puncturing them?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘29er DH/heavy duty tyres, what do people recommend?’ is closed to new replies.