Home Forums Bike Forum 27.2…grrr…

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • 27.2…grrr…
  • coconut
    Free Member

Morning all. I had narrowed my search for a new XC hardtail down to a Cannondale Scalpel HT, then found out the frame seat post is 27.2!! which means the longest possible dropper post is 125mm… why o why! I assume 125mm is the maximum due to the thin diameter and excess flex in the post. Looks a great bike but think that’s probably scuppered it, or would you be happy with a maximum 125mm drop? (6:2ft/189ch, 80kgs).

*edited to mm ;-) *

tthew

One and a quarter meters of drop should be enough even for a 6+ footer

😘

BruceWee

Looks a great bike but think that’s probably scuppered it, or would you be happy with a maximum 125cm drop?

Yes, but then I’m 5’6″.

But also it’s a pure XC bike.  Surely the amount of drop you actually ‘need’ is going to be far less than on a trail bike?

I guess if you wanted to test it you could put some kind of limiter on your current dropper post and see if it’s still rideable with ‘only’ 125mm drop.

nickc

I don’t think it’s enough for someone over six foot, no.

tomhoward

I’m over six foot and when droppers first came out, 125mm was fine, I dare say still would be fine tbh, I don’t get the need for 200mm+ droppers

sanchez89

Im 6 ft, i still have my original KS Lev from when droppers first appeared, 125mm drop, only sometimes do i wish it had more.

i’ve just picked up a 170mm drop for my new frame after finding out they exist in that length!

cookeaa

I’m over six foot and when droppers first came out, 125mm was fine, I dare say still would be fine tbh, I don’t get the need for 200mm+ droppers

I sort of agree, I have been using a 100mm dropper for ages and recently got a 150mm dropper, that extra 50mm does make a noticeable difference, the saddle is that bit more out of the way, but I’m not sure and extra 50mm (200mm) would benefit me as much (or fit the frame) so there’s certainly an optimal amount of drop for.most people (I’m 5’10”).

As an aside my old 100mm dropper is now homeless and I’ve been mulling if I want to fit it to my HT or my gravel bike, both of which have been fine so far without a dropper. I’m nudging towards the HT, and I know 100mm will be sufficient on either.

jonnyrockymountain

What did we all do before droppers, i ride my XC hardtail without dropper and manage ok, 125mm is ample

intheborders
    Free Member

It’s an XC bike, just how extreme is the riding you’ll be doing?

FWIW my HT does have a 200mm dropper on it, which is longer than either my FS (170mm) or eebFS (150mm).  Purely down to frame design, they’re all running the longest I could get in.

On the HT for the actual riding I do, 100mm would be enough and when I’m bikepacking I use a Wolftooth Valais which restricts the drop to about 100mm (so the seatpack doesn’t rub the tyre).

Same height as OP.

onewheelgood

I rode my Scalpel quite happily without a dropper until the Newbold Comyn trails opened. First time round there and the saddle kept hitting my arse so as soon as I got home I was searching for a 27.2 dropper. Ended up with a PNW 125mm and have had no unwanted saddle/arse interfaces since.

clubby

125mm is loads for that bike even at your height. If it’s not, then maybe you’re looking at the wrong style of frame. I reckon you’d be running into the limitation of limited suspension travel and tyres before an extra 25mm drop would make a huge difference.

a11y

Having recently watched the British CX champs riders manage some tricky(ish – silly tyres etc) descents with saddles at an up-yer-chuff position, I realise my issue isn’t a lack of dropper post drop!

Problem I have with droppers is once I’d tried more drop I found less drop wasn’t enough. I was happy with a 100mm Gravity Dropper until I tried a 125mm Reverb, which I was happy with until I rode a 150mm Brand X, which was great until I swapped to a 200mm Brand X. Now have 200mm on all MTBs plus a leftover 150mm on my gravel bike.

jameso

would you be happy with a maximum 125mm drop?

At 6′ here, yes. Esp on an XC bike. I find I can get away with most tricky singletrack type stuff with 50-70mm of drop and it’s only the steeper trails or extended downhills where 100-125mm is used. They’re not North Shore steep, just local trails and I’m not hitting the jumps.

OC I could drop it all the way all the time when off the saddle, why not, but I find having the saddle too low almost a disadvantage, a disconnected feeling? And the taller you are with the longer drop post, the more that happens (if it bothers you).

IHN

6’1″ here, and only fairly recently moved away from a 27.2mm frame with a 125mm dropper. I never had any issue with it not dropping enough

5lab
    Free Member

rase used to make a 200mm 27.2 dropper (I’ve got one in my shed thats seen plenty better days) – is it really true no-one makes a longer one any more?

P20

I’d be fine with 125mm drop

Stevet1

Before droppers were a thing I would always slam my seatpost right down for descents or just messing about in the woods etc so 125mm droppers were always a disappointment to me  – 200mm drop is great. So I’d say it depends, if you like your seat slammed then nope, 125mm is not enough but if you just like a bit more room for your undercarriage then it’ll be fine.

Aidy
    Free Member

Yeah, I’d be okay with 125mm drop too. I don’t really get massive drop seatposts, they don’t need to be dropped lots to be out of the way.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’m 5’11” and have 125mm droppers on both my XC bikes, never had an issue to be fair.

kelvin

would you be happy with a maximum 125mm drop?

On that kind of bike, yes.

Plenty of XC bikes have gone back to 27.2 now, you’ll find plenty of other bikes with the same trade offs if looking at those kinds of racey frames.

I’d go for something with slightly more trail oriented geometry and 31.6 seat tube that can take a 160mm dropper myself.

Rubber_Buccaneer

If you are questioning it maybe you are looking at the wrong kind of bike?

spokebob
    Free Member

i’m (obviously) a huge fan of dropper seatposts – they’re great.

i’d be perfectly happy with 125mm on an xc bike.

that’s what? 62% of the travel offered by a 200mm post, but you’ll get a lot more than 62% of the benefit.

(diminishing returns innit.)

D0NK

6’2″ here, I run 125 and 150mm droppers, Ive had the rear tyre buzzing my crotch more than the saddle, esp on 29ers. 125 dropper wouldnt be a dealbreaker for me, certainly not an an xc bike, but obvs riding styles/body positioning can vary a lot

ceept

Im 6′ and have a 100mm dropper on my XC hardtail. I don’t find it an issue on anything I’d ride on an XC bike. My FS is different & has a 200mm dropper.

Don’t XC bikes generally have bigger, less flexible frames & shorter droppers anyway?

cookeaa

What did we all do before droppers, i ride my XC hardtail without dropper and manage ok, 125mm is ample

My Rigid MTB, Gravel and CX bikes have maintenance free, lighter weight ‘fixed’ seat posts on and are fine for their intended off-road use, so it’s entirely possible to manage without one still.

I could just flog the 100mm drop, 27.2 post I have spare, but it is basically worthless now, so I might as well keep and will probably bung it on the rigid MTB with the old ‘under the saddle lever’ just to do away with an extra cable, crotch grabbing dropper operation is genuinely dangerous from memory :)

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.