Home Forums Bike Forum 2023 Zeb Ultimate issues?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • 2023 Zeb Ultimate issues?
  • renton
    Free Member

Hi all,

I’ve got a new 2023 Zeb ultimate on my ebike and think I’ve got few issues with it:

* Meant to be 170mm travel but only shows around 163mm of stanchion when correct sag
    * Not reaching full travel even when running lots of sag
    * Sits quite low in its travel
    * Quite rough and keep getting sore hands when riding fast down rough trails

Its a good fork dont get me wrong but the Fox 38 that came on my Levo expert felt loads better than this.

Any suggestions on what to look at?

mashr

* Meant to be 170mm travel but only shows around 163mm of stanchion when correct sag
    * Not reaching full travel even when running lots of sag
    * Sits quite low in its travel
    * Quite rough and keep getting sore hands when riding fast down rough trails

– When sagged you should see a lot less stanchion than that. What is it unsagged?
    – Take the air cap off, see if it reaches full travel
    – If you’re really only using 7mm of sag than sort that out first. Should be more like 20-25% sag
    – Given the other aspects of setup that seem incorrect I’m not surprised

renton
    Free Member

Sorry What I’ve wrote doesn’t make sense.

With the right air pressure in the forks to give the correct sag Im only seeing 163mm of stanchion when Im not on the bike. Obviously when Im on the bike it sits further into its travel to give the correct sag.

I have to put a load of air in it to show the correct 170mm of travel.

honourablegeorge

Transfer port might be blocked, too much grease on the air spring when assembled

Dropping the lowers and removing, refitting the spring would probably sort it out

mrdestructo

Perhaps you need to service your fork because the manufacturer forgot to grease or oil it?

Top end fork,and mine is low end (Revelation with moco damper), but…..

Full bike build. Was never happy with the fork. I was getting beaten up on technical trails. I couldn’t put anywhere near the air state in the app. Sag was wrong, use of travel messed up. It just wasn’t behaving as advertised.

When it came time for service, I found no oil in the air spring leg bottom, and no evidence of grease applied at the factory inside anywhere. After I greased and oiled it correctly its working a lot better. I can now put in the correct amount of air stated on the RockShox app. Sag is correct. And I use the full travel properly.

I also have an SR Suntour Durolux 36 EQ with high and low speed adjusters for both compression and rebound. Initially the Durolux was miles better. After I serviced and *corrected the revelation, the gap between the two narrowed drastically.

I’ve bought two RockShox forks new in my life. The gap between purchases has been long because the first was a Psylo XC that came with only a few drops of oil. I feel I’ve been suckered twice by RockShox now. But it is an avenue to go down to see if your brand new fork has been crippled by poor assembly.

superfli
    Free Member

Have a read of this
    https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=223747&pagenum=4

“I’m willing to bet its the air shaft. The head on the ZEB airshaft has a hole in it, and that hole should be aligned with the hole on the shaft itself. This increases the negative volume of the fork.

Mine wasn’t aligned, and I was running low 60’s PSI at 86kg/190lbs. The fork was always harsh, and I could just never get it dialed.

After realigning them, I am running 10-15 PSI higher, and had to change all my LSC/HSC/R settings. Feels so much closer to my Lyrik now, and dialed.

Check your air spring for that alignment, I have a feeling this is what is causing wild PSI and setting differences across this thread.”

RickDraper
    Free Member

^The Zeb ultimate 2023 doesn’t have an air piston like that one.

intheborders
    Free Member

With the right air pressure in the forks to give the correct sag Im only seeing 163mm of stanchion when Im not on the bike.

It’s an eBike, why wouldn’t you expect the suspension to sag under its own weight?

What happens when you lift it off the ground, how much ‘travel’ now?

joebristol

Assuming the fork doesn’t have anything fundamentally wrong I’d normally set it up with 25% ish sag. If you’re then not using most of the travel I’d check firstly it will compress all the way with the air cap off and that it moves easily (to rule out bushes binding).

Has it then got bottomless tokens in it? Remove some if it has and you want it to be more linear.

On the damping side have you tried it with both compression damping dials wide open? If you have too much compression damping on you could make the fork spikier.

Edit – if it’s an ebike it’s probably white heavy – I wouldn’t be that surprised for it to sag 7mm under its own weight.

PJM1974
    Free Member

With the right air pressure in the forks to give the correct sag Im only seeing 163mm of stanchion when Im not on the bike. Obviously when Im on the bike it sits further into its travel to give the correct sag.

Maybe let some of the air out of the fork and try compressing it a few times to equalise the negative spring. +1 for checking for stiction, taking the lowers off and inspecting the seals/oil etc and for backing off the compression a tad.

It’s an eBike, why wouldn’t you expect the suspension to sag under its own weight?

– Possibly this too, it’s likely that the weight of the bike will cause some static sag. Have you tried turning it upside down, cycling the lowers slightly and then checking the travel again?

TBH I’ve neither owned nor ridden a Zeb, but my experiences with (counts) eight Rockshox forks owned since 2006 has been wholly positive thus far.

RickDraper
    Free Member

Where did you get them from? Somewhere that deals in suspension or a bike shop/online retailer?

renton
    Free Member

Purchased from Leisure lakes.

TO be honest I hadn’t even thought of the weight of the bike affecting the sag.

zerocool

Have you taken out any air tokens?

Also Rockshox are quite renowned for not putting enough oil in their forks. It’s one of 5he reasons TFTuned strip all theirs down before selling them to you.

RickDraper
    Free Member

Purchased from Leisure lakes.

TO be honest I hadn’t even thought of the weight of the bike affecting the sag.

Get the bushes checked in it. All the 2023 Zebs we have seen have very tight bushes.

scamperjenkins
    Free Member

The weight of the bike on the forks will account for 7mm surely? Another way of looking at it, when you take off on a jump the full 170 will appear.

noeffsgiven
    Free Member

Yeah, I always final check sag n travel with the bike in the stand.

richardthird

The last bit indicates it’s defo not set up right.

You’ll probably spend weeks messing about with it before giving up and flogging it again.

Invest in a Shockwiz – hire or buy.

intheborders
    Free Member

Yeah, I always final check sag n travel with the bike in the stand.

Eh? You can check travel, but not sag in a stand.

renton
    Free Member

Cheers all,

Yesterday I did a ride around the woods as normal, about 19 miles over all sorts of trails and managed to get a good feel of what is going on with the fork.

It seems to be sinking into its travel quite often, I can feel this in the amount of weight I am putting through my wrists becomes more as the front of the bike sinks down. However if I pull up on the bars it sits up higher in its travel for a bit then and then the cycle repeats.

Sag is set at 40mm which is just under 25% of the travel.

One thing I did do is decrease the rebound on the fork so its a bit quicker and this has helped with the feel of the fork a bit.

A friend has lent me a shockwiz so going to have a play with that.

julians
    Free Member

Try increasing the low speed compression damping a little

MARTINJ
    Free Member

Have you tried burping them? it sounds like they are being sucked down. if you slip a zip tie down the seals (make sure they are clean) you will see the fork extend i think this can also be achieved by pressing the valve buttons on both the stantions on the new zebs.

stevextc
    Free Member

How are you measuring that?
    How much negative travel is that?

Sorry What I’ve wrote doesn’t make sense.

With the right air pressure in the forks to give the correct sag Im only seeing 163mm of stanchion when Im not on the bike.

and ????

Obviously when Im on the bike it sits further into its travel to give the correct sag.

How is it “showing travel” ? This still makes no sense?
    Are you confusing sag with travel ???

5lab
    Free Member

It seems to be sinking into its travel quite often, I can feel this in the amount of weight I am putting through my wrists becomes more as the front of the bike sinks down.

I don’t think this is necessarily a symptom of the fork. Is the bike new to you? Lots of things affect weight on your wrists, and if you’re finding it uncomfortable there’s lots of adjustments to your body position you can do to help. On a 170mm fork 25% sag seems pretty low, but again it depends on how you’re measuring it. How often are you bottoming out?

renton
    Free Member

Hi all

Sorry for any confusion. the fork is meant to be 170mm travel. With the air pressure set for my weight and to get the correct sag there is around 160-163mm of stanchion showing with the weight of the bike on it. Unweighted there is about 170mm so I guess that is right. However with all the air out of the fork and compressed all the way in the o ring doesn’t hit the crown of the fork and there is about 5-6mm of travel left.

Ive been to Cwmcarn today and done the two red trails, had a horrendous time and had to stop on some of the descents as my hand and arms were getting battered. I tried lowering the air pressure and even put the hsc and lsc to minimum and the fork still felt really harsh and just crap. After the first Red I went back to the car and let all the air out of the fork. when there was nothing left in it I pressed both bleed valves on the back of the fork, Right one did nothing but when I pressed the left one it let a load or air out and sucked the fork right in.

Something definitely not right, it just doesn’t feel composed at all.

Bike isn’t new, I’ve had it since March but the fork has only been on for about 4 months. My previous bike was the carbon version of my current bike fitted with a fox 38 170mm travel. It felt completely different to this.

renton
    Free Member

Oh and the fork never bottoms out when riding, even with 30%sag it still has about 1.5cm of travel left. Despite having no volume reducers fitted it seems to really ramp up at the end of the stroke

RickDraper
    Free Member

Get the bushes checked in it. All the 2023 Zebs we have seen have very tight bushes.

mudfish

On a big travel fork like that it would need a very big hit to get full travel.
    I’d prefer to set up by bouncing front and rear together (carpark, rolling along) with an observer to watch compression / rebound response. The idea is to get front and rear even.
    My 23 ultimate feels pretty plush. I do have damping full open and only 2 clicks rebound from full open.
    My mates got the same fork, same bike – his feels harsh so I’m intrigued by this thread.
    A new fork that feels wrong needs opening for an expert check over and proper lube I reckon. Lack of confidence once something is perceived to be wrong spoils every ride I reckon.

I use the EXT “super slippy” lube – it’s a small bottle with a dripper nozzle and a pick / seal opener tool – to lube the fork seals. It definitely makes my Zeb feel smoother.
    Get it as a kit from Mojo Rising / Geometron Bikes near Monmouth.
    https://www.mojo.co.uk/ev68s-inc-plastic-pick-tool-1716-p.asp

renton
    Free Member

It’s really bizarre. I turned the hsc and lsc to fully open and dropped the air pressure and it was still really harsh.

If anything it got worse the more riding I did.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Don’t use those bleeders with the fork compressed as you’ll create too much of a vacuum when it extends.

doncorleoni
    Free Member

As said above.. This sounds like a symptom of tight bushings. No amount of playing / tuning / running in will help I am afraid. Drop all the air and set rebound / compression to minimum (ideally remove air cap). Flip bike upside down, remove wheel and then pull up and push down on the forks… Should be lovely and smooth, fork should compress and extent very easily with no stiction or notchieness.

Have had exactly the same issue as you describe on 2 pairs of 2022 revs, and a pair of lyrics. Just could not get them set up right at all, small bump compliance was terrible and forks would sit deep in travel.

SRAM / Rockshox QC seems be getting worse. First two pairs went back to SRAM under warranty and came back pretty much the same (tiny bit better but not ideal)… Got fed up so made up a crude Bush resizing tool and now the forks work brilliantly.

Might be lube or something else but my money is on either the upper or lower bushing being too tight (lower seems to affect small bump compliance more and upper deeper travel or might be both are tight)

I would send it back… Or sent it to someone like tf tuned. Might be weeing in the wind playing with setup if there is a fundimental problem internally.

Good luck

zerocool

SRAM/Rockshox QC has always been terrible. For years they’ve been renowned for sending out their forks with too little oil and tight bushings seem very common over the last few years.

tinglesrack
    Free Member

Couple of points worth mentioning –
    The suggestion that grease is blocking the little transfer dimple in the stanchion is absolute nonsense and a very common misconception that appears on forums. There’s absolutely no way that grease will hold back high air pressure. This myth is wrongly diagnosed because its actually the removal of the air shaft (and therefore release of any excess negative pressure) that cures the sucked-down issue. People then remove lots grease and re-assembled and think that it was the grease causing the issue all along.

The mention of burping the fork is also forum favourite for wrongly diagnosing. If you have air trapped in the lower leg this will cause the fork to over-extend rather than suck down. And it also means that you have an air leak from the negative air seal head which is allowing air pressure to leak from the stanchion into the lower leg void. Sliding a zip tie under the wiper seal will indeed release the air, however the cause of the fault ( a negative seal head leak) will be there and the issue will arise again after a ride or two.

On a new fork the last thing you should do is try to fettle it yourself. Get it back to Rockshox for a warranty inspection. As a matter of course they’ll likely replace all the air seals and replenish fluids. And they’ll check/update any post production issues that have had rolling changes.

renton
    Free Member

This is the max travel I have:

If I set the sag correctly for my weight and then take the weight of the bike off the fork I measure the stanchion at 170mm. however looking at the above pic with the O ring showing the max travel Im losing about 5-6mm of travel overall.

markspark
    Free Member

Why would you want to smash the seals into the crown at bottom out?

I wouldn’t expect to get anywhere near full travel on a 170 fork at a trail centre and have the bike ride decently.

A common misconception with a harsh feeling fork is to reduce pressure and compression but all you’re doing there is getting into the progressive part of the stroke sooner and have no hydraulic help to hold you up, it’ll also slow you’re rebound down making the fork not able to recover after bumps correctly

mashr

5-6mm is the wheelhouse of the bottom out bumper

renton
    Free Member

Soooo….. The fork was sent off for warranty and RS have come back saying it needs a new CSU and air spring…. Delivery forecast on them is 22/12/22 !!!!!

Not the bike shops fault at all (big shout out to Race co for helping me out !!) but a bit peeved that my £1120 fork is toast after less than 150miles.

You’d think that RS would just replace them.

tjagain

At less than 6 months old the fault is assumed to be manufacturing fault. They get one attempt to repair at their cost if that does not work then they have to replace. Thats how the law works

However the delay in repairing them must be “reasonable” Is a month turnaround reasonable? ( not that I believe the parts will be there in a month) Thats the point of debate. Borderline would be my opinion

renton
    Free Member

The forks were fitted to my bike at the end of June, rode once and then the bike was laid up due to me having open heart surgery. I only got back on the bike in September so they’ve had very little use.

I dont think over a month is reasonable to wait. Not sure others will agree but thats just my thoughts.

RickDraper
    Free Member

You’d think that RS would just replace them.

They likely don’t have any in stock to replace them with.

renton
    Free Member

They likely don’t have any in stock to replace them with.

You could be right, in that case would it be reasonable to ask for a refund?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.