Home Forums Bike Forum 2022 Giant Trance X 29er 2

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • 2022 Giant Trance X 29er 2
    coconut
    Free Member

There are a few really good deals around on the 2022 Giant Trance X 29er (2). I know there is a huge love for Giant bikes on here 😉 So the current deals are reduced from £3,200 to £1,900. With a 150mm Fox 36 front, SLX set up throughout (10/50T), Fox float performance DPS rear shock. I’m very tempted to buy one, seems to be a brilliant price for the money and a really fun looking all round bike for trails & bike parks.

mm

hopefiendboy

Just make sure you get it serviced at an authorised dealer and budget accordingly, probably wiping out the savings :’)

coconut
    Free Member

Haaa. ha 🙂

davros

Mate has the 130/120mm version and he loves it. Served him well in the alps. Only drawback being the heavy wheels but otherwise a good spec and a bargain at that price.

Garry_Lager

I have the older shorter travel one – excellent allrounder for UK riding. Considering price / performance I doubt you could find better as a one-bike solution. Maestro at 115 is witchcraft – rides way bigger than it should, although I guess this longer travel version would ride quite differently.

Wheels are mediocre but that’s just industry standard – I’ve never seen a good pair of wheels on a retail bike for the pricepoint.

I ended up going back to two bikes because I wanted something bigger for the Alps, and an anthem is better for me for most MTBing I do. But you could ride almost anything in the UK on the trance.

chakaping

Looks like the 2 has a crap Rock Shox 35 fork and SX drivetrain, while the 1 has the 36 and SLX?

But Winstanleys do have the 1 at £1.9k and the green looks really nice.

Tektro Orion brakes could be a weak point?

The 36 is the unpopular Fit4 damper.

Geometry slightly dated. Perfectly rideable but wouldn’t be my choice for a lot of steeper riding.

Seat tubes a bit long, preventing sizing up.

coconut
    Free Member

You are confused.. the X 2 has the Fox 36 and SLX

coconut
    Free Member

That’s the 2923 version, my link above is the 2022. Agreed that the 2023 is not that good a spec, seems they down sold the spec to save money

coconut
    Free Member

Any other feedback appreciated…. hoovering over the buy button. Going for an XL @ 6:2ft (189cm), 82kgs and 33inch inside leg.

Kryton57

I wrote a long post about my journey of comparing it to an Occam LT from Sigma at slightly better spec, then STW lost it.  I went for the Occam for the more trail focused stability and what I think is a higher grade of frame.  This vid should help you decide/justify the Trance, but I think you enjoy that Trance a lot:

coconut
    Free Member

Thanks Kryton, he clearly liked the Trance a lot in that video. Just such a pity Giant are soooo bland with their colour schemes currently, lists of black and grey bikes, I would definitely need to jazz that trance up a bit.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Any other feedback appreciated

Apologies, I can’t find your link to the one you’re thinking of. Can you repost?

I’ve just checked my email and we bought a Giant Trance 29 2 2020 for my son based on the fact that it seemed very similar to the outstanding Anthem 27.5 that he had previously.
    It was ok, but no more than that. Felt quite heavy and clunky with cheap heavy parts on it. He did survive some fairly steep stuff in the Alps so not too bad, but nowhere near as good as the Anthem it replaced.

Based on my carbon occam, I’d be tempted to go with what Kryton says. Though I appreciate your option is both newer and bigger travel than what I’m describing

HTH

nre
    Free Member

I *think* the pic in the OP is actually a 2021 Trance X 29er 2:

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/trance-x-29-2-2021

XL at pedalon for £1649: https://www.pedalon.co.uk/acatalog/giant-trance-x-29-2.html

Looks a great deal to me!

Kryton57

I’d get the Pedalon one, used the saved cash for some lighter wheels, and take advantage of the buy-now-pay-in-12-months option and put the £1649 to earn some interest in the highest rate ISA I could find for a year.

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

The SLX fox 36 rides very well, losing weight on wheels and tyres transforms the ride though.

davidmoyesismydad
    Free Member

I’ve got a trance x3 and love it

Solid frame build

Nice geo

Meastro suspension works very well

It’s on the porky side even after swapping out the own brand wheels which had a cùp n cone front hub but not rear maybe a covid supply thing

It pedals really well but goes down as good as anything I’ve ridden

I did swap the tektro brakes for the cheap merlin trp evo brakes

The dps shock was functional but not fantastic so splashed on a ohlins ttx2 air

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.