Home Forums Bike Forum 2021 Rockshox

Viewing 11 posts - 121 through 131 (of 131 total)
  • 2021 Rockshox
  • steel4real
    Free Member

Yes – I fitted this latest 2021 air spring to a 2016 Pike B1 (160mm) that already has the previous Debonair spring upgrade in it and a Charger 2.1 damper as well. Used the same pressure and can confirm the fork sits that bit higher at rest and so I effectively have 20-25% sag whereas before it was nearer 30% to get the ride feel I wanted.
    The change from the original solo air to the fist Debonair was very noticeable with a definite increase in small bump plushness.
    This latest ‘2021’ or C1 upgrade felt good, subtly different but riding the same trails (Peaks – Winhill/Ladybower ‘offpiste’) this weekend just gone on the 2021 air shaft compared to the previous weekend on the other air shaft definitely felt better. Same trails, same conditions, very dry, dusty, rooty and sometimes rocky. Strava also logged a few PR’s and I’ve ridden those trails a fair bit over the last two years or so. I didn’t notice much, if any, change in small bump but I think there was something useful going on in the mid stroke that maybe held the front up a bit and improved confidence on some of the steep bits. Of course some of that is probably down to a freshly serviced fork (the small bump always feels a bit better in the fist few rides!). Overall it felt good and I liked it, so better, but hard to pin down exactly what. Certainly nothing adverse stood out.

timbog160
    Free Member

Good to hear – my upgrade parts from Jtech are arriving today 😁

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I’ve got about 10 hours of dry weather lumpy riding on the new debonair c1 in my 140mm Pike.

So far I think the armchair theorists are correct – it is a bit more reluctant to move off the bat on the small stuff.

I didn’t like it at all at my B1 debonair pressures, so I dropped the pressures by 5 to 10% and installed an air token.

Set up like this there’s the tiniest suggestion of a bit more reluctance to move off the top (it’s pretty negligible) but they are much better than the B1 air spring when you’re pushing on.

Weirdly doing a static sag setup they appear too soft, but when you’re actually riding the bike they’re perfectly fine.

Overall for my style of riding the pros outweigh the cons.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

bookmarking

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

My reading of that is it’s less about changing the volume and more about changing the pressure in them at sag?

So at top out you still have similar pressure (and therefore sensitivity)

At bottom out it’s irreverent.

At sag or mid-travel there’s less pressure in the negative spring because you’ve started with a smaller volume but stretched it by the same amount. Effectively making it begin ramping up sooner?

steel4real
    Free Member

Who knows!?

As a pretty average rider and I was having such a good time riding I didn’t care to think about it.

For £42 I was happy to try it out and bring forward the routine lower service a little along with fitting the upgrade. No clear reports of it being anything other than good and it was – for me. But that’s the thing isn’t it, not everyone is going to have the same experience, riding ability, conditions, weight, expectations etc. etc. so a n other may not like it. I also like the fact that RockShox make their latest improvements reverse compatible – I’m effectively riding a Pike Ultimate 2021 :-).

dumbbot
    Free Member

I’m a couple of rides into my updated fork(202Pike Ultimate) and my thoughts are very much inline with @scienceofficer.

Trundling up a fireroad, maybe not so keen to move off small stuff…but it feels more poppy, composed at speed and holds a line better i think.

I really couldn’t get the previous spring set up to my liking…i think this is going to be much better for me and most riders I would say.

goby

Ok so im after a 29er Lyrik Ulitmate for my new build sounds like the best way to go then is a 2020 Lyrik Ultimate from R2 bike then upgrade as and when the 2021 DebonAir shaft assembly is availbale? That sound a sensible route to take? R2 bike ok to use see a few people on here have, just wanted to check.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Anyone know any more info on the new Rockshox Zeb fork yet?

I’m finally taking the plunge on a ’21 ebike as I can get one early & it comes with the above. The models relate to the Lyrik (as in it’s still called the Ultimate RC2) so i’m just assuming its a bigger, beefed up version?

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Zeb has 37mm stanchions and by all accounts is a good fork, but if you need a stiffer fork and don’t do bar spins or X ups, the Boxxer is a better option. Not that you’ve got the option, but it’s good, basically.

steel4real
    Free Member

So it seems that something has recently changed from Rockshox with regard to the compatibility of the C1 Debonair upgrade to A1 & A2 Pikes (2014-2017)

From the current spare parts catalogue (SPC) 2020 revh – this is the compatibility chart;-

Compatible C1

But the ‘Debonair upgrade and travel change kit manual revD’ advises that they aren’t compatible and instead advises the previous debonair shaft;-

C1 not compatible

I bought my 160mm C1 shaft from TFTuned so I’ve asked them. Apparently something might start tapping not sure what. Seeing that I bought it from them when it was compatible but now it isn’t it seems a bit of a concern?

Viewing 11 posts - 121 through 131 (of 131 total)

The topic ‘2021 Rockshox’ is closed to new replies.