Home Forums Bike Forum 2021 Rockshox

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 131 total)
  • 2021 Rockshox
  • honourablegeorge

With all the bitching we do about new standards, it’s pretty cool that you can buy the new 2021 bits for 40 quid and bung them in last year’s fork. RS have been fairly consistent with making their stuff backwards compatible for the most part.

https://singletrackworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/2021-rockshox-lyrik-rides-higher-and-performs-better-thanks-to-2-simple-upgrades/

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Smart money is on buying a discounted 2020 fork and buying the 2021 air spring shaft and footnut. Fair play Rockshox for making stuff retrofit able.

ta11pau1

Yep. I do with they’d give up with the torque cap dropouts though, there must only be about 5 people using them worldwide…

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Until they do give up on them, definitely run torque cap hub adaptors. A torque cap fork with normal end caps is noticeably more flexy than full torque cap. On the race team, the winner was alu wheels with the torque caps from the carbon wheels. Just a shame SRAM wheels were shite, fork CSUs creaked dampers blew.

bruneep

there must only be about 5 people using them worldwide…

1 here, can the the other 4 make yourselves known.

RickDraper
    Free Member

I run torque caps, if you can use them on the hub you run and have a RS fork they are well worth using.

transporter13
    Free Member

Also run torque caps.. Makes a difference

robo89
    Free Member

If you’re running a Hope hub without torque caps you’re missing out, well worth the umpteen quid.

chiefgrooveguru

“1 here, can the the other 4 make yourselves known.”

Me too! Are we at five yet?

honourablegeorge

Good sale on r2 bike already, includes the new SID. Lyric Ultimate as cheap as I’ve ever seen.

https://r2-bike.com/Fork-Damper::eng/rockshox

kimbers

i use trque caps,

kelvin

it’s pretty cool that you can buy the new 2021 bits for 40 quid and bung them in last year’s fork.

Great news, isn’t it.

ta11pau1

Seal head and foot nut also available for £20 or so.

happybiker
    Free Member

Anyone using Torque Caps on Hunt wheels? I got 2 sets from Hunt, both are so loose they rattle/spin as you ride? I’ve given up with them and just ride 1.54% slower to compensate for the lack of stiffness.

bruneep

<sigh> Just upgraded my upgrade purchases.

ta11pau1

If you’re after a 51mm offset 29 Lyrik ultimate, there this for 554 euros.

https://www.bike24.com/p2367119.html

Less than £500! :O

Edit: RCT3 not RC2 though.

thelooseone

I’m running Torque caps, on Hope hubs

escrs
    Free Member

I used to run torque caps on my Hope hubs

My XC bike has Rockshox forks and Reynolds carbon wheels but Reynolds do not make torque caps for their hubs ggrrrr

amodicumofgnar

You learn something new every day – didn’t even know there was such a thing as torque caps.

balfa
    Free Member

Typical, I just bought the now old debonair kit for my 2017 Pikes! To send it back and order the new one or stick with it?

P20

Timely! I’ve been looking at Luftkappe or debonair for my old Pikes (2015…..) it reads that this should fit? Is that right?

trickydisco
    Free Member

So I’ve got a lyrik select 2020 ( came on a turbo levo) can I upgrade to use this part? Also is this seperate to the air shaft? (I want to increase travel from 150 -160)

honourablegeorge

It’s a new air shaft, so you can buy the new one in 160 when available, and both upgrade and change travel at the same time.

poah
    Free Member

why would you want one when it reduces your negative air spring volume?

kimbers

Yeah I’m a bit confused about that too poah

I can see the benefit of in rising ride height, but will you lose small bump benefits of luftkapoe?

benpinnick

It doesnt reduce the negative does it?, it reduces the positive, which will in turn change the ratio in favour of the negative, effectively increasing the negative.

honourablegeorge

Anyone seen the air shaft on sale yet?

I have a Lyrik Ultimate and lots of time on my hands.

Pauly

Another happy Torque Cap user here!

*waves*

zezaskar
    Free Member

As much as I generally prefer Fox products, one really has to appreciate RS’s modular approach.

My standard fork recommendation for someone who’s not after bling has long been any Yari on discount of the right wheel size and offset and then just slap a charger damper and Debonair shaft of the desired travel

chakaping

Might get some torque caps based on this thread, although I rarely notice any flex on my lyriks.

Quite keen to get this updated air shaft on my long travel bike, as I intend to raise it to 180mm travel anyway and the BB would still be a bit on the low side.

poah
    Free Member

I can see the benefit of in rising ride height

honestly I’m not. you set your sag which is greater than the small amount of droop you get from the weight of the bike. Your bike has mass so why wouldn’t it put weight onto the forks?

Timely! I’ve been looking at Luftkappe

get the luftkappe

It doesnt reduce the negative does it?

yeah unless the pictures are completely skewing my perception the negative air volume is going to be smaller. Not the only one to have noticed that. The top of the new deal head is higher up than the older one and wider so there is going to be some volume reduction. Top out bumper also looks shorter.

binman

Having upgraded the airshafts on my Pike & Revelations earlier this year I take this as they got it wrong the first time !

ta11pau1

No, the negative chamber is the same size, and the only 2 parts that have been changed are the foot nut and the seal head.

Annoyingly there’s no pictures of the seal head installed, but see that lip on the seal head? I think that’s where the end of the upper leg sits, with a small portion of the red seal head sitting lower/outside the upper leg. Whereas the current seal head fits 100% inside the upper legs.

Edit: service manual shows it all goes inside, but regardless, the negative spring is still the same size

Which means, the foot nut raises the air piston by 10mm, and the seal head raises the seal position by 10mm. Result: smaller positive chamber by half an air token, and same size negative chamber.

The reason the top out bumper looks smaller is because you’re not seeing it all as its hidden by the seal head.

Rockshox tops up 2021 Pike, Lyrik, Yari & Revelation forks w/ all-new Debonair Air Spring

P20

get the luftkappe

@poah
    . Why? I thought there was a Luftkappe v Debonair thread but I can’t find it 🤔

J273
    Free Member

Does anyone know if the seal head and foot nut are compatible with a 2015 pike? Ive already installed the debonair airshaft but wouldn’t mind fitting these being so cheap I just wonder on whether they are compatible with a pike going back to 2015?

Im also one who has never heard of torque caps? Whats the benefit of these? Do they work with a non boost 15mm front axle?

Thanks

ta11pau1

Torque caps are the reason you have to lift up the wheel/fork slightly when trying to locate the axle on a RS fork.

It’s the enlarged dropout area which are designed for the larger end caps – RS branded “torque caps”.

poah
    Free Member

@P20

luftkappe has bigger negative airspring than the debonair.

@ta11pau1

unless I’m not understanding how the negative air spring works. the distances between the two seals is different with the new one having less volume.

tomtomr

The longer foot nut will push the whole shaft up so that the air piston is sitting higher, not at the same position as shown in the photo.

bruneep

null

These 2 component changes move the air piston 10mm higher so that it sits in the dimple of the fork stanchion, this means the ride height from top-out to sag is higher and riders can benefit from more initial support. So with you’re air pressure set correctly, the new 2021 Debonair air spring will read the correct amount of travel at rest, and the correct sag when the rider is on board.

Northwind

Rockshox: We’ve improved our existing excellent products and we’ll make the parts available to you so that you can make your fork better, cheaply.

Fox: Ours is 2 bigger

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 131 total)

The topic ‘2021 Rockshox’ is closed to new replies.