Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • 2020 Occam, who’s got one? Happy with it?
  • jackal
    Free Member

Probably going to end up getting one of these as it ticks a lot of the boxes (geo/spec/price) I’m wanting now – moving away from the full on enduro build to something lighter, slightly less travel but still with good geometry.
    Actual owners reviews seem somewhat limited, I’ve watched most the YouTube stuff.
    Geometry wise it looks spot on, I’d be running the 150 forks up front so it looks slack enough, long enough and the steep seat angle I’m after…
    This with a set of decent tyres seems to be the perfect all round bike?
    It should definitely climb well (all reviews say it does), my only reservation is how well it descends. The geometry and travel suggests it should descend well but some reviews suggest it’s an out and out trail bike and not as confident on the downs?

Owners opinions greatly received, cheers.

doug_basqueMTB.com

I have a few. I’m a bit biased maybe but I always try to give my honest opinion to people. Climbs great, like you say. For descending it’s less confident than my Rallon but it is by no means nervous. It descends really well i think, for me it’s a mini enduro bike. Igor our guide set a KOM on the launch on a well used trail in Ainsa. He prefers it to his Rallon because the size is better for him and he is sending pretty big jumps and riding it hard. Some people prefer an extra spacer in the shock.

For me it’s a great bike. Our trails are tough and I never feel like the bike isn’t up to it or is holding me back. I’m faster down on my Rallon, igor says he is faster on the Occam. He’s a better rider than me.

I’m writing something for my website on the bike. Should be up this week. The aluminium one looks amazing. I’ve got those for hire and then the carbon one for me.

jackal
    Free Member

Cheers Doug. I’ve seen the YouTube vid with you in it.
    I’m a confident descender so thinking it should still be fast enough downhill but with the added benefit of being much lighter and faster on the ups/flat than my current enduro.
    I’d be going for the carbon version, with Shimano and the 36 upgrade/dpx2 upgrade….

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    doug_basqueMTB.com

Me on YouTube? At the launch? I never saw it!

That is the build for me. Shimano XT, XTR brakes, carbon, OC dropper and gold and black. Matt. 🙂

dumbbot
    Free Member

Recent Enduro mag review, and to my mind they are usually pretty thorough.

Orbea Occam M-LTD on test – a mountain bike in its truest form?

Rest of the 2020 trail bike reviews.

The Best Trail Bike of 2020 – 15 Mountain Bikes in Review

Kuco

Really wanted a carbon one but found the sizing odd for me.

jackal
    Free Member

Cheers, yes I’ve read the Enduro mag review.
    It’s quotes like this that leave me slightly confused though;
    ‘Descending, you’re also better integrated with the Orbea and feel more confident in steep terrain. However, compared to bikes like the Ibis or Nukeproof, both the SCOTT and the Orbea will be left behind on the descents.’

The numbers don’t add up with the reviews

doug_basqueMTB.com

Doesn’t tie in with my feel of the bike. Stiff and nervous, too stiff, etc. it just doesn’t sound like my bike.

H1ghland3r
    Free Member

I’ve thought this was a bit odd in the reviews I’ve been reading too. (Full disclosure, my MyO M10 with 36’s should be here in a week or 2 so I might be biased).
    The Enduro mag in particular read to me as being really harsh on the Occam for very minor issues. They pointed out that the 175mm cranks caused pedal strikes and a crash when the crank length is a user option.!?
    I’ve read reviews that were very critical of rattly internal cables.?!? As far as i’m aware the cables are padded but even if not 15 minutes to install some of that jagwire padding solves the problem and it certainly wouldn’t warrant calling it a bad bike because they had cable rattle does it.?
    I don’t know, as I said, mine is almost here so I’m obviously biased but the reviews all seem to be very critical of very minor things..

doug_basqueMTB.com

The enduro mag crash was nothing to do with crank length! I was there picking up the pieces! Flat our round a corner, tried to jump a section and didn’t see a massive rock. The sequence of photos is brilliant! The bike is quite low and pedal strikes can happen though, I agree with that.

Cables are internally guided plus externally guided.

I don’t want it to seem like I’m defending the bike. Just trying to give the info I have.

cymohndee
    Free Member

I don’t own one, so can’t comment on that but I did spend a morning on a M30 in the FoD courtesy of Zerobikes (I don’t work for them so don’t have a vested interest). I’m 5’8″ and rode a medium. My regular ride is an Evil Following MB. I had read the “damned with faint praise” reviews and expected to be underwhelmed but I was overall very impressed. It was easy to set up and get a good feel, the cockpit felt a little short, but my Evil has a traditional seat tube angle so it took a little while to get used to that. I didn’t feel cramped when riding though. Climbing was very impressive, it will get up anything if your legs and tyres are up to it. It wasn’t quite as agile on the flat as my Evil but it felt more planted, still no problem hustling it and having fun. No problem with pedal strikes. Downhill I felt the bike was with me, it inspired confidence and was nice and stable, the rear is stiff, the kinematics very well judged, with good support without being harsh. It was also very quiet. There were a few things I would change, a bigger front rotor, small beer really. I could feel the wheel weight a bit compared to my Stans Arch and I’d look at maybe upsizing to a large. I think it’s a really good all rounder for someone who does a bit of everything, and what is wrong with that? Think more Bikemag than Enduromtb review!

johnx2
    Free Member

I rode one of Doug’s hire Occams for a day last summer in preference to my Zesty, though they look pretty similar. (Gah. Should read thread titles. Not a 2020, obviously. Rest stands.)

Anyway, I’ve regretted it ever since as I want one. Just felt nice, lighter and responsive than my bike, and easier to get weight off the front wheel. (this is as a deeply average rider whose wheels very rarely leave the ground other than by accident.)

H1ghland3r
    Free Member

Apologies for the minor thread ressurection but I was reading another thread about ‘Who understands the Fox forks range’ which linked to an article about the range and I noticed something odd, which led me to checking the Orbea site to reveal something even more odd.
    The 36 upgrade on the Occam is listed as being a ‘Fox 36 Float Factory 150 Grip2 RC2 QR15x110 Kashima’.
    Seems reasonable on first look until I realised that Fox only lists the 29″ 36 in 150mm with a FIT4 damper.? Even more strange is that isn’t the RC2 the previous damper before it was replaced with the GRIP2.???
    So is this fork an OEM specific model @150mm with a GRIP2.? Or is it an OEM model with an RC2 damper.? Or is it a standard 36 but despite the description has a FIT4 damper.?? Or is it a standard Factory 36 with GRIP2 that has been shortened to 150mm.? Is that even possible.?

I is confused.? Which isn’t that great considering mine should be here in the next week or so.!!

martinhutch

I think that must be a typo. If you look at the spec for the M-LTD on the Orbea site, that’s definitely a Grip 2 150, which shows that Fox do supply them in that configuration.

My Oiz has custom Fox components, so OEM spec can differ from their aftermarket stuff.

H1ghland3r
    Free Member

Yeah I’m sure the GRIP2 RC2 thing must be a typo and on further investigation I see that you can get a 150mm airshaft from Fox to convert a GRIP2 36 to 150mm. Found other comments elsewhere of people with OEM 140mm GRIP2 36’s that they have switched to 150mm and then 160mm with airshafts that Fox will sell you.
    Does seem a bit of a daft mistake to make on the blurb for your new top-end trail bike though. 😀

jackal
    Free Member

Yes I assumed the rc2 was a typo too.
    Mine is arriving next week so we will find out for sure then 🙂

bob_summers

@doug_basquemtb Igor certainly seems happy with his but give him a bollocking for rounding the brake lever bolt 😉

doug_basqueMTB.com

Hey guys, I’ve got acronymitis but if someone can explain the question I can ask Orbea or answer myself. Is it asking if the fork upgrade is Grip2 plus 150mm instead of 160mm or Fit4 to tie in with what shows as available options on the Fox site? Sorry, maybe being a bit slow. We just got our forks changed for a little filming thing but I can also check on the hire bikes and update here.

doug_basqueMTB.com

What has igor done Bob?! Poor guy crashed today as well!!

H1ghland3r
    Free Member

Hi Doug,
    Doubt it’s really anymore of an issue than a bit of acronym salad on the website but they list the 36 upgrade as being GRIP2 RC2 which as far as I know is 2 different versions of the same thing i.e damping cartridge.
    Also the 36 isn’t available retail in 150mm with GRIP2 but I think we’ve ascertained that it’s likely something Orbea can spec as an OEM as Fox do supply air cartridges in 140/150/160 for GRIP2 36’s.

I sure do hope that they are easier to setup than they are to figure out which model you have.!! 😀

doug_basqueMTB.com

Perfect! I know that Orbea and fox spent a lot of time together on this bike so that is very likely.

davros

Demo’d an m30 today. Looking at numbers and spec I thought it looked spot on. Pretty sure I’m going to get one. Though the fuel ex was also very nice. I’m sure I’d get on well with either.

doug_basqueMTB.com

Hi guys, just to confirm what you thought about the forks. I´ve been down and checked the hire bikes and it is a GRIP2, 150mm Fox 36. Must be custom for them I guess.

And so you can see my bike which I´m pretty happy with. Opinions may differ 🙂

My Orbea Occam 2020

IdleJon

We’ve had a few of the entry level Occams through the workshop in work – they are very decently specced for the price. If I was looking at a full-sus it would definitely be on my list. (I’m not though, I’m waiting on an Orbea Laufey hardtail – due in three weeks. 😁 )

doug_basqueMTB.com

@idlejon, what did you go for in the Laufey? I´ve got one, it´s probably my favourite bike. I used the 27+ bike all last year and now have the metallic green 29″ one. It´s so much fun! I´ve gone a frame size down and am using it as just a fun bike, it´s not as fast as the FS bikes but I love it.

I finally finished a post on the Occam. If anyone is interested it´s up here: Orbea Occam 2020 Review / Launch Story It´s more a bunch of photos and some thoughts plus the spec´s we chose rather than an in depth review. Plus some stories from the launch last year.

IdleJon

@doug_basqueMTB.com, I ordered the green/orange H-Ltd, with the optional XT four pot brakes and DT wheels. It’s almost exactly the bike I was looking for last year but couldn’t quite find. Interestingly, it’s almost identical to the Orange Crush (in spec and geometry) but significantly cheaper. Especially trade rates! 😁 I was tempted to upgrade the fork to the 36 Factory but that would mean my HT would have a better fork than my full-sus, and that didn’t feel right for a foul weather, put it away muddy bike.

How tall are you? I’m 179cm and have gone for the large.

doug_basqueMTB.com

Nice! I’m 179 too and am using the M but should really by on the L. I have a Rallon and the Occam so the idea is the hard tail in M, smaller and more playful if that makes sense. All my other bikes are L.

H1ghland3r
    Free Member

Apologies for the thread revival but my XL Occam M10 finally arrived, picked it up from the guys at Pedals Bike Care in Edinburgh last Saturday and after a fraught week of other stuff getting in the way I finally made it out for a shakedown today.

Firstly though, serious shout out to James and the guys at Pedals, have been around bikeshops for 30 years and they are just about the best, it’s the first shop I’ve been into in many years where they actually had stuff in the shop that I wanted to buy and aside from that they were great with the protracted process to get this bike (ordered on 2nd November!), definately give them a shout if you are looking for something, they’ll look after you.

The bike though.. wow.. what a thing, mine is a MyO so it’s a colour scheme just for me and I think it’s lovely, paint seems like good quality and finish was perfect, even more so now it’s been Invisiframed (the guys at Pedals did an immaculate job of that too!)

It’s a complete rocketship as well, coming from a 2015 Banshee Spitfire and it’s noticably faster uphill and night and day faster down, the bike is just completely planted, I was initially just hanging on feeling like it was rushing away from me but got used to it pretty quick. Stopped after Spooky and took 4 clicks of HSC off the 36’s and one click faster on the DHX2’s rebound and off I went again..  and now it was seriously impressing me, the HSC calmed the fork down and had it gliding over the chatter.. the rebound adjustment had the back end feeling buttery smooth but nice and poppy as well.

On the climb up I had been a little worried that the slack front and big 29″ wheel was going to make it hard to get the front up but once it’s heading down the whole bike is just so stable in the air, I was very quickly running out of talent to keep up with this thing.

It took me almost 6 months of tweaking to get totally happy with the Spitfire and it’s DBAir, I feel like I’m at the same point with this bike after one ride.

Just to wrap up what has become a bit of a novel, couple of points that were mentioned in reviews..  I had zero cable noise, the bike is silent apart from that lovely tyre noise as the DHF WT and Aggressor WT (Pedals were happy to make some substitutions for me, seriously, call these guys they are awesome.!), I did have a couple of minor pedal strikes despite having 170mm cranks but it feels like something i just need to adapt to rather than a proper issue.

So bottom line, if you are thinking about it and like it, get one.. better still give the guys at Pedals a call and ask them if they’ve got one in your size.. they have a couple in store ready to go.

https://pedalsbikecare.co.uk/

Oh and here mine is on their Instagram (latest post), feel free to rip on the colours all you like. I think it’s beautiful..

https://www.instagram.com/p/B92NIYDHHnH/

davros

Very nice! I’m waiting for an m30 on the cycle to work scheme. Saving me 1300quid! Its all been approved, just waiting for delivery. How tall are you on the xl? I’m 6 1 and went for a large.

H1ghland3r
    Free Member

I’m 6’4″ and the XL is just perfect.. the 170mm dropper is about 1″ out of the frame. Feels lovely and roomy when out of the saddle and just about perfect when sat down.

Hopefully you don’t have to wait too long for it. Do you know if it made it out of Spain yet.?

davros

Apparently they are in stock with orbea but I don’t know if that means in a UK distribution centre or in Spain. Obviously delays are to be expected in the circumstances. It’s hard being patient when there is a shiny new bike on the way. But the madness of this week has kept me distracted.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

That and the fact you won’t actually be able to ride it for 6 months…..

bruneep

thread resurrection…..

Looking at Occam, considering base bike just to get frame and spec what I want on it.

The sizing is bothering me I’m 173cm and it puts me at top end of a M or lower end of a L. Thoughts?

davros

I’m 185 and got a large. I’m also between sizes but managed to get a demo and was happy with the large. The steeper seat angle makes it feel shorter than the reach and wheelbase suggests. What are you riding now? Have a look on geometrygeeks website, should help you get a proper comparison.

bruneep

I’m on a Medium 2016 Rallon

a shorter stem would assist on the L

blitz

I’d say Large. I’m 175cm on a large, albeit 2016 model, and I’ve been a medium on every other bike I’ve had. The geometry has changed a bit since but I definitely wouldn’t want the cockpit any shorter and allows you to run a shorter stem.

bruneep

Is what I’m thinking ^^

Need to get a try on either a M or L locally, anyone Aberdeen (ish)

Also anyone stuck a coil on an Occam?

uggski

I’m 170 on a large and it feels right. It’s taken a while to get used to it but that’s more to do with my old bikes geo than faults with this bike. I got the H20 Shimano. Lots of folk aske dif it’s a carbon frame it’s finished so nicely.

tails
    Free Member

I’m collecting a m30 tomorrow! At £2650 it was rude not to, wanted alloy originally but the h10 was sold out

davros

Bruneep, could you get a 170mm dropper in your current frame? Worth checking as that’s what the large comes with. Well the m30 does.

Looking at those nunbers, unless you think your current bike is too big, I’d go large.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘2020 Occam, who’s got one? Happy with it?’ is closed to new replies.