Home Forums Chat Forum 2019 European Driving Holiday

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • 2019 European Driving Holiday
  • belfastflyer
    Free Member

Hi All,

Long time reader/first time poster!

The long and short of it is we (me and my better half) are planning a European driving holiday around summer time 2019 (the Focus won’t know what hit it lol). I know it’s a way off but we want to plan a few things so we know how much we have to save.

At the minute we are looking to go to Sion in Switzerland for about a week and enjoy a log cabin in the mountains then drive down through Italy to Cannes and enjoy the sun and southern France for about another week. It’ll be AirBnB all the way as my partner doesn’t do camping. We will be doing a bit of biking and excursions though.

As you are all a well travelled bunch, is there anywhere along the way you recommend we stay? Feel free to tear my plan apart as I’ve been looking on maps and google for about 2 weeks and I think I’m going a little crazy.

Thanks!

Edukator
    Free Member

Switzerland is surrounded by countries that are more welcoming, not so expensive and just as spectacular. You drive a Focus but plan a week in Sion.  If you are planning excursions and biking I suggest going via Thonon, Cluse, Morzine and Chamonix doing some biking in Morzine and going up some lifts in Chamonix. There are some great walks and bike trails high above Chamonix.

Be careful where you leave your car in Italy, preferably locked away at the AirB&B, walk rather than bike (or bike off road) and it’s fine.The villages on the small roads up to the Monte Rosa I liked a lot and you can walk as high as you feel safe.

The Med is crazy busy end of July to mid August whether you choose Italy of France. Stay in accomodation inland and use public transport, preferably trains,  to get to the seaside. Maybe a boat trip to say St Tropez from Cannes to avoid the queues of traffic. I like the Med, in Sept and Oct. Back through the Massif Central, the Cantal or Puy de Dome for some peace and quiet to finish.

Marin
    Free Member

Why the worry over parking in Italy. Had my van parked up over various locations in Italian Alps with no problem.

Italians are way more friendly and helpful than the French!

Get a pre pay tag thingy for French motorway makes life much easier.

Stoner
    Free Member

this is a good walk/ride further along the valley. Goes up the old rail route to into the mountains.

http://www.wanderungen.ch/en/tours/hiking/valais/Hohtenn-Ausserberg%20alternative%20to%20Eggerberg.html?tour=1295

The thermal baths at brig are impressive. but v v Swiss.

If you’re aiming for Sion, Nendaz is not far and a nice spot in the mountains too.

https://www.nendaz.ch/?theme=T2

You’re not far from Morzine which is probably the most active mountain town in Summer in the area.

RoterStern
    Free Member

What about Eurocamp style chalets (basically a static style caravan) on a campsites? Côte d’Azur has loads of them. They are fully plumbed in and a lot have air con if you find the hot weather unbearable. We stayed in one last year and paid practically the same price as when we stayed on a site with our camper. Italian lakes also worth a visit : Como, Lago Maggiore and Garda being the most popular. There are loads of threads about them on here. You generally have better weather than in the French Alps. Switzerland is lovely but it’s virtually three times the price of the surrounding countries.

Edukator
    Free Member

Have a look for some statistics, Marin. I think you’ll find Switzerland and Italy have the highest rates of car theft in Europe. The south east of France isn’t much better. Pity to have your car emptied or stolen when heeding advice on an Internet forum could mean you enjoy a trouble-free holiday.

Like most French people I don’t bother with the motorway tag thing.

Edit: and in reply to your anecdote, I live in France and one morning noticed a car with a smashed window in local car park. British plates and still stuff on view to indicate it was people on holiday. I had the lock of my van (French plates) broken in Italy but as I had only managed to walk about 150m from it saw what was happening ran back and thief ran off without taking anythiing.

beanum

If you’re staying in Sion, then a drive up the Val d’Anniviers is worth a go. If you can get up high from either Grimentz or Zinal on a good day the view is amazing.
    You could also go to St.Luc and try the route listed in this article:

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2015/jun/18/top-10-mountain-bike-rides-alps-france-italy-switzerland

If you’re around the same time as the Montreux Jazz Festival a train trip from Sion won’t take too long and there’s a good atmosphere there with some free concerts so you don’t need tickets.

Sion is a strange choice though, unless you’re planning to go up to a different ski resort every day there is more to do next to the lake (I live near Lausanne so I’m biased). Even so, if you want to stay in one place for a week, Chamonix is hard to beat for scenery.

Marin
    Free Member

Oh I must be very lucky then. Thanks for the usual pompous reply.

Edukator
    Free Member

Rubbish a comment based on hard fact and personal experince and expect a pompous reply. Next time do a bit of research before being dismissive of good advice.

belfastflyer
    Free Member

What about Eurocamp style chalets (basically a static style caravan) on a campsites? Côte d’Azur has loads of them. They are fully plumbed in and a lot have air con if you find the hot weather unbearable. We stayed in one last year and paid practically the same price as when we stayed on a site with our camper. Italian lakes also worth a visit : Como, Lago Maggiore and Garda being the most popular. There are loads of threads about them on here. You generally have better weather than in the French Alps. Switzerland is lovely but it’s virtually three times the price of the surrounding countries.

that’s brilliant thank you, will look into the chalets! Switzerland has always been on our bucket list but I’m agreeing with most of you re the cost. Think we need to tweek the plan and look around a little more.

You drive a Focus but plan a week in Sion.

not sure what that’s got to do with anything

pauldoherty1981
    Free Member

Hi there,

Im living close by to Verbier bike park which is about 30 min drive from Sion. If you are going through Italy may i suggest to drive over the Grand St Bernard mountain pass that borders Switzerland and Italy. You could hit the bike trails in Verbier bikepark enroute to Italy. Theres plenty of hiking trails and outdoor activities also.

Crans Montana close to Sion is stunning too, has a small bikepark, lots of hiking trails too.

If you need some more info on where to go biking etc check out this website,

https://www.valaismtb.com/

Best of luck with your adventure and PS, the Valais canton is not as expensive as people think. France is just as expensive in the ski resorts.

Thanks.

allthegear
    Free Member

Col du Grand S Bernard is indeed a lovely drive over the top. There was even a St Bernard dog in the hospice café at the top when I stopped!

The Alps are amazing for a relatively nearby road trip. Enjoy!!

rachel

mrmo
    Free Member

Just be aware that there MAY be driving licence issues and be aware that you may need to get international permits etc. so just make sure you keep abreast of the situation.

As for Switzerland remember to get a vignette before you get on the autoroutes, either at the border or a petrol station soon after.

The drive down to the grand Saint Bernard and over the top is nice, weather can be VERY unpredictable. Val de Bagnes, Val d’annivers etc are very nice.

alpin
    Free Member

+1 for Edukator’s first point.

The Swiss are miserable dicks compared to the Italians, the French and even the Austrians!

The food is over priced, whether that be in supermarkets or restaurants. Their mountains no more beautiful than those across the border. Their police are Arschlochs and are quick to have out fines.

Their roads are nice, mind. Ideal for traversing the alps  Avoid the motorways there  Also expensive. And don’t get caught speeding…  CHF CHF CHF!

rickmeister

As everyone else mentions, Switzerland is expensive…. We try and buy in supermarkets and cook at a public BBQ where there is often tables and wood supplied for the fire.

I like paying £30 for a pizza in a ordinary restaurant, said no one ever….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘2019 European Driving Holiday’ is closed to new replies.