Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 284 total)
  • 2018 Films , and we're off…
  • GrahamS

Saw MI:Fallout on an IMAX screen.

It is a film very well suited to the IMAX experience: absolutely no subtlety at all – just a giant wall of images and loud blaring sounds.

A proper brain-off popcorn muncher movie.

I enjoyed it.

eat_the_pudding
    Free Member

I’m a bit late to this but I’ve just read the up the thread where someone said that Black Panther had a bit of cultural stereotyping.

I can understand the feeling (felt a bit thrown watching it myself) but thinking about it afterwards (and having a bit of a google) I found that there was a deliberate attempt by the makers to make Wakanda reflect various African traditions, languages, cultures & styles of dress and to celebrate them.

The whole world was carefully designed to bring together bits of African culture, but without being based entirely on any single one.

I think that the fact that its easy to see stereotyping in what should be a celebration might just be because we’re not used to seeing these cultural references in movies made by Africans (or people of African extraction).

It shouldn’t be necessary to think about stuff like that in order to enjoy a movie, but maybe Africa is the exception to that rule?

Do people watching Bollywood or kung fu movies feel uncomfortable with the stereotyping?

You might not like the style, but the stereotypes are at least chosen by people who are from those cultures and choose to emphasise certain aspects, and thats whats happening in BP.

To sum up;
    You might not feel comfortable with the way those cultural elements are displayed, but they’re not yours, and your discomfort might say more about the history of films about Africa than it does about this particular movie.

Also, the movie went down very well _in_ Africa :O)

PS, I personally thought it could have been a better movie, but they were trying to do an awful lot in one movie, and did it pretty well. Roll on Black Panther 2, there are a lot of characters I want to see more of (if anyone ever makes it back after Infinity war, which was great by the way).

makkag
    Free Member

Blackkklansman .. very good film solid 8 out of 10

dirkpitt74

Took the family to see Christopher Robin last night.

I wasn’t holding out much hope for this – but it was actually really well done and had a nice message.

Ewan McGregor was really good as were Pooh and Tigger…..

DezB
    Free Member

I personally thought it could have been a better movie

That was mostly my complaint. It was pretty poor. And everyone putting on a variation of the African-speaking-English accent reminded me of the old war films with English actors being German “Ve haf vays off mekking you talk!” kind of thing. Overall it was just a bit naff.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Just seen Ocean’s 8. Pleasant enough film that ambled along. Anne Hathaway helped it be watchable but how did they come up with a plot that had zero suspense? Did anyone feel at any moment that bad things could happen?

Very strange but an easy evening on the sofa sharing nachos.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I saw Deadpool 2 last night.

ill admit to HATING comic book films, but the first one won me over thanks to its crass humour and violence, but the joke wore a bit thin on the second, for me, someone who hates the genre It was just the same story as all the other comic book films stretched over a slightly different premise again. Watched about half of it before I realised I’d nodded off.

Pigface
    Free Member

BlacKKKlansman today, really enjoyed it. Spike Lee on form, the last 5 minutes left the cinema deathly silent.

Well I’ll worth a watch

P-Jay
    Free Member

Hereditary 

WTAF, it’s not like the trailer, I suspected a creepy jump fest like ‘Insidious’ but it’s darker and more twisted than that.

Its good in a disturbing kind of way.

nickc

Blackkklansman .. very good film solid 8 out of 10

very much this. Usual Spike Lee half assed cinematography (he’s very much still a 1 take man) but excellent movie, funny and  shocking in equal measure. have to remind yourself that it’s a real story. Slightly over egged message, but not overwhelmed by it. worth the trip to the cine-plex

sirromj

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Finally got to see Skyscraper.
    Disclosure: I find Dwayne Johnson a watchable character.

Back to the film. A good enough plot with loads of stupid moments, good action and a few suspenseful moments even though you know he probably isn’t going to die. And when you see he has his left leg missing below the knee (its in the trailers folks!) and then he has a fire axe and duct tape and the bad guys only have shedloads of guns – well the outcome is inevitable. Poor old bad guys…

A pleasant enough evening.

nickc

Predator….weird

Ok, Points for : It has all the things you want from a Pred movie Wise cracking assholes, multiple gory death, sense of macabre humour Ugly MF aliens Technology etc etc

Points away..It tries to take itself waaaay too seriously, the 3rd act plot twist is just silly. I’m aware of the absurd nature of that criticism, but a film, even one that asks you to suspend your disbelief as much as SCI-FI/ Alien movies do, have to work within the nature of it’s given universe, and it sort of doesn’t because of the convoluted set up it needs to achieve  because; Franchise.

But as a Friday night popcorn movie..perfect.

DezB
    Free Member

Watched “Beast” last night. From 2017, but a top quality British film. Not many laughs, but worth seeing.

rone

Can’t muster the energy to bother with The Predator.

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>The original was awesome.</span>

P-Jay
    Free Member

3 most recent for me:

Jurassic World Lost Kingdom

Lost plot more like, story is a mess and sadly they’ve run out of new ideas, absolutely nothing original about it. Ties with JP3 for worst Jurassic film

Solo a Star Wars story.

Actually very good imho, after the horrific Star Wars 8 and all the hassles of 3 directors and a near 100% reshoot it’s more than watchable and no ones childhood get shat on for the sake of it.

Sicario 2

More of a spin-off than a sequel per se. Violent, shady CIA chaps do shady violent things to protect the home of the brave and all that. Not as good as the first, less self aware of how the actions of th characters might be seen out of the US, but still very good.

leondemille
    Free Member

Went to see Nae Pasaran, great film, fantastic story and definitely worth a watch if it gets widespread release

mahalo

Den of Thieves last night. enjoyed that very much!! although the twist was easy to spot a mile off…

not normally the type of film id go for reading the blurb, and featuring Gerard Butler! but it came heavily recommended and they were right. makes you think how many other good films we dismiss before even giving them a shot…

paulneenan76
    Free Member

Had very low expectations for Solo but was pleasantly surprised.  I’d watch it again. Hope they leave that character alone now though.

rone

A Star is born.

I was very much looking forward to this remake of a remake, helmed by Bradley Cooper who also stars alongside Lady Gaga.

First half is terrific and almost exhilarating – but second half of the movie is handled badly and needed some serious editing. Chemistry is good and Ga Ga is great at handling the average struggling girl role.

The mumble fest between Bradley Cooper and Sam Elliott , outdoes even Jeff Bridges for inaudible authenticity – and certainly devalues some of the scenes. Also, some of the incessant swearing seemed forced rather than saved for impact.

Not a bad film, just not a five star film that the press are all over.

bobbyspangles

Finished ‘the square’ last night on Netflix. What a curious film full of questions and thoughtful moments. I would suggest it’s worth a watch

mrmoofo

TBH, feeling very non-plussed about most Hollywood offerings … as they are all ultra bland.  I hate the endless Marvel / DC comics stuff … they are all the same story just with more characters i them.

Mission Impossible left me cold … I just found it trite with very cliche  in the book … and a wafer thin attaempt at a story.

Lots of bangs and crashes so great for 16 year old boys …

Looked last night, as the Meerkat voucher was in the offing.  BlackKKlansmen not on round here …

DezB
    Free Member

BlackKKlansmen not on round here …

Too late, it did the rounds about a month ago. Shame, I missed it too.

Agree on the Hollywood films. Apart from The Incredibles 2, which was just fantastic fun. Oh and Deadpool 2.

I like watching the Marvel stuff with my son, but wouldn’t bother otherwise.

This year needs a Three Billboards.

Black 47 might be worth a viewing.

PrinceJohn

This year needs a Three Billboards.

I thought that was this year?

Last film I watched was ‘The Man from Mo Wax’ a documentary about James Lavelle. Was interesting, but could’ve definitely been a bit shorter. Was good watching in the cinema tho.

DezB
    Free Member

I thought that was this year?

Blimey, yeah January 2018! It’s been a great year! 😆

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I tried to hate Rampage but couldn’t.

Bruce Willis in the remake of Death Wish was weird though.

mikey74
    Free Member

I was going to see Venom (this was where Spiderman got interesting) this Friday but the reviews have really put me off. It sounds like the film company destroyed it and left the best bits on the editing floor. However, I am looking forward to seeing First Man and Bad Times at El Royale.

daern
    Free Member

Same for Jumanji for us – even my notoriously fickle wife liked it…and the kids thought it was brilliant!

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

I watched that last night – silly but great fun!

Good to see Negan from Walking Dead – just a shame he didn’t have Lucille with him!

sirromj

“Sorry to bother you” – a film for all the family.

mikey74
    Free Member

I watched Apostle on Netflix, the other day. It was alright, but pretty forgetful, except for one particularly grim scene. Imagine the original Wicker Man, made my the people who brought us Saw, Hostel and other such modern nastyrama.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Will most probably go and see the Nicolas Cage vehicle Mandy. Pretty patchy lead actor who has been in some absolute stinkers, this one might suit his stilted style!

rone

Enjoyed the new Halloween film. A couple of daft plot points in the middle aside this delivers a decent updating/sequel to the 40 year old classic.

Has a little bit of Terminator 2 about it.

Well shot and directed with a strong turn in violence and suspense.

PrinceJohn

Saw the new Halloween last night, really enjoyed it. Some good call backs to the original film & a really enjoyable 3rd act.

MSP

A prayer before dawn, 99p rental on itunes at the moment.

lovewookie

Watched Black 47 the other night.

good film, quite a brutal tale highlighting the attitude of english landlords at the time of the potato famine in Ireland.

Worth a watch I’d say. A suitably dark film, measured and unpolished.

I really rate Hugo Weaving as an actor, he tends to go for quite interesting roles, outwith LOTR and Matrix..

gooner69

Saw Bohemian Rhapsody at the Curzon in Clevedon over the weekend. The reason the cinema is mentioned is because its the oldest independent in the country. You can take drinks to your ancient velour seats and the bar is frequented by patrons throughout most films. This may have been a factor in people clapping, stamping and singing all the way through. Even a few dancing at the front and in the aisles.

The film is very involving and emotional, and a very good watch.

It was a fab night out!

cheers_drive

I watched Bohemian Rhapsody last night, the first non-kids film I’ve watched at the cinema in over 3 years. My parents were Queen fans so their songs were always being played in the house and I still listen to the early stuff so I enjoyed the film. The music was great and the actors playing the member of Queen, especially Freddie, were amazingly convincing. I’m not there was much for non-fans, many things were conveniently changed or added for the film and the partying and Freddies sexuality were glossed over. I can’t help thinking that Brian and Rogers versions suit their agenda.

There was no singing or dancing in the multiplex.

mikejd

Saw ‘The Hate U Give’ last night. Very involving and draws you in.

zilog6128

many things were conveniently changed or added for the film and the partying and Freddies sexuality were glossed over. I can’t help thinking that Brian and Rogers versions suit their agenda.

sounds like it’s more for casuals than proper fans, who would surely realise that it’s a load of old shite 😀 It’s a real shame that May/Rogers disappeared up their own arses long ago (and I say that with the greatest of respect as I’m a massive fan of them both!!) Still there are loads of great Queen docs available if you want to see how it really happened.

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 284 total)

The topic ‘2018 Films , and we're off…’ is closed to new replies.