Home Forums Bike Forum 2016 Fox 36 Lower leg thread stripped at axle interface

• This topic has 20 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by andyl.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • 2016 Fox 36 Lower leg thread stripped at axle interface
  • freeridenick
    Free Member

Putting the axle back in managed to strip the thread on the leg casting…

Initial call from my LB to Mojo is not warranty job as user error!

anyone else had this.

casting very thin so heliocoil unlikely to work

£350 for new lowers – ouch

RickDraper
    Free Member

Never managed that. The 2017 36 lower leg uses a different casting that has a threaded replaceable tab. This means if you ever strip it you just fit a new tab:

freeridenick
    Free Member

thanks for the info

interesting that – surely must mean they have had some problems on the 2016 and added the tab!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Probably too many ham fisted users… What we’re you doing it up with?

falkirk-mark

Could you not try drilling/dremelling the forks out and fitting a replaceable tab from the later ones (if the lowers are knackered what you got to lose?)

RickDraper
    Free Member

I would imagine a machine shop could mill the drop out face down slightly so you could fit a tab like that? Got to be cheaper than new lowers too.

coatesy
    Free Member

Don’t know how mch material you’ve got to play with on the axle, is there any possibility you could get a thread cut internally, and run a bolt into it like they did on older forks (or even fit an older type axle, if possible). For machining work, it might be worth checking out your local model engineering society, some of them like a new challenge/opportunity to use their tools.

andysredmini
    Free Member

I can’t imagine it matters that you have stripped the thread. It doesn’t pull the legs together anyway. I reckon you could just push/screw it in to its normal position then clamp up as normal. Any play you could probably just tighten one side then give the legs a squeeze together before tightening the other side
    I remove my front wheel a lot and bought one of these to torque the bolts up to the required 2.15Nm

Edit: I cant remember what it looks like and how it fits but if you are using the 15mm axle could you not swap it for the supplied 20mm axle?

leebaxter
    Free Member

i reckon with a bench drill, reamer and dremel, you could probs get one of those 2017 tabs to fit.

andysredmini
    Free Member

Ignore what I said about using the 20mm axle. I just had a look and that screws in the same as the 15mm minus the adaptors.

Trimix
    Free Member

Happened to me – I had to buy new lowers. Bugger. Then was paranoid about removing my wheel after that just in-case.

nuke

Probably too many ham fisted users..

This may well be true but when out riding its not unreasonable to want to remove the front wheel for a puncture or to change disc pads but do Fox expect riders to carrier around a torque wrench for the 2nm of torque required for the axle? Seems a very fragile design…Ive seen the width of the threaded area and its barely a few mm. The new design on the 2017 looks like its solves the issue but i do feel sorry for the poor folk who are going to have to shell out for new lowers given the poor design of 2016 forks

honourablegeorge

Andy – where did you pick up the wee torque wrench?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Give all you need do is get it finger tight it’s not exactly torq wrench territory. Most people seem to go with as tight as I can with stuff and dare I say it not read the instructions

andysredmini
    Free Member

I got the torque screwdriver through work. I did find it online for around £40 but that was about a year ago. It’s this one

http://m.www.my-tool-shed.co.uk/p1090350/Wera_Adjustable_Torque_Screwdriver_1.2_-_3.0_Nm/product_info.html?utm_source=googleversafeed&vfsku=1090350&gpla=pla&gclid=CKyplcHUys4CFcQp0wodk7kIfQ

I got it after realising just how little 2.15Nm is. It’s not far off finger tight and I didn’t want to risk over tightening with how much I take the wheel out.

Plus it was an excuse to buy a new tool.

br
    Free Member

While you may be hamfisted Fox also had a problem with 2005/6 36’s where you needed the spaces when doing up the pinch bolts but the tolerances weren’t tight enough so often ‘split’ the casting – they warrantied the lowers for ones that were ‘tighter’.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

wow didn’t realised the bolts only require a 2.1nm torque spec, ive been cranking mine up since day one

when I say cranking up I mean I use the long side of the allen key till it stops, then use the short side to tighter it further more, defo id imagine over 2.1nm which is basically nothing by hand

ive been having a click on the forks (had the CSU replaced under warranty once) and wondering if the excess tightening is maybe causing it??

good heads up though ill be using the torque wrench from now on putting the wheel on

monts
    Free Member

Add me to the club. The threads of my 2015 Fox 36 suddenly won’t allow the thru axle to tighten, it gets slightly snug by hand, then if you turn it any further with a hex key, it pops back to being loose again. Fortunately the pinch bolts all work fine. Did this happen to anyone else? I called Fox and they said it’s fine as long and as the pinch bolts work it will never loosen. However, if I ever go to sell the fork that’s going to be pain… Fox said if I really want to send it in they’ll “take a look.” but offered no solutions over the phone.

Anyone ever find a fix yet?

julzm
    Free Member

Happpenned to one of our bikes, were only about a month old at the time, luckily mojo warrantied them.

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

I bought the FlowZone qr36 adapter for my 36’s
    Kinda expensive but never regretted it…
    Set up once to correct tourqe at home, in the warm, never have to worry about it again

andyl
    Free Member

JB Weld + drill and tap.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘2016 Fox 36 Lower leg thread stripped at axle interface’ is closed to new replies.