Home Forums Bike Forum 1×12 upgrade problem. Help please

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • 1×12 upgrade problem. Help please
  • mattsd
    Free Member

Hi. I’ve been replacing and upgrading all the worn-out components on my 2014 norco sight. I figured while I was at it I would upgrade to a 1 x 12 drivetrain too. It previously had a 1 x 10 on it. I’ve got gx eagle shifter and mech and the sunrace cassette. The problem is that I can’t set up the mech. The jockey wheel just doesn’t seem to clear the cassette no matter what I do with the b screw. I took it to a bike shop and he seemed to think that the bikes hangar wasn’t suitable for the mech, and wasn’t allowing it to sit where it needs to. Has anybody else had this problem and has anybody figured out a fix for it? Is there an alternative hanger I can use? it’s one that bolts through the end of the seat stay.

johnnystorm

Would something like this help?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353324577470

skellnonch
    Free Member

try this

Try this, got a 50T rear cog and it’s smooth as you like with an X0 11 speed mech, just drops the mech down, cheap fix might work? Edit… great minds and all that…

timbog160
    Free Member

Either I’m living in a parallel universe or suffering deja vu! I’m sure someone had this exact same problem only recently, and it was traced to the bike having two different types of mech hanger. Sounds like you have the same problem… I think you have a hanger for a ‘direct mount’ mech if that’s the right term..

vmgscot

On my Shimano setup I used a ‘goatlink’ (from Pilo) to improve clearance on larger cassettes – not sure if they do similar for SRAM kit

timbog160
    Free Member
    lawman91

Looking online, looks like any models that were originally equipped with Shimano mechs had the Shimano Direct Mount mech hanger and the Sram equipped models had a regular one. New (non-direct mount) mech hanger required!

mattsd
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies. There’s some useful info and links in there. Particularly the link to the other thread. That’s the exact same problem in having. I’m thinking the fix could be done with this hanger in the link. It’s for the carbon version of my bike so should fit. Combined with one of those hanger extenders it could work. What are people’s thoughts on that solution.
    The second link is the hanger that I already have
    https://www.rearmechhanger.com/product/rear-gear-mech-derailleur-hanger-w275/

https://www.rearmechhanger.com/product/rear-gear-mech-derailleur-hanger-w276/

lawman91

You shouldn’t need the extender if you get the right hanger, I’d just get the hanger first and go from there

stevesss
    Free Member

I’ve just had the exact same problem. I have 2019 11 spd YT Decoy and swapped out to 12spd, the original mech hanger didn’t provide the right clearance but I had a spare 2020 mech hanger and its slightly longer that did the job.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘1×12 upgrade problem. Help please’ is closed to new replies.