Home Forums Bike Forum £1350 Trail Bike – Mid Range Hardtail or Budget Full Sus?

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • £1350 Trail Bike – Mid Range Hardtail or Budget Full Sus?
  • applecat
    Free Member

As per the title, I have £1350 (or thereabouts) to spend on a capable and fun trail bike. Strong preference is for 27.5 wheels at the moment, but may be open to persuasion on that!

My previous two bikes have both been ‘hard core’ hard tails around the £1k mark, so I was initially looking at something similar – specifically the Nukeproof Scout Race (hence the budget).

However, 2019 Scouts seem to be almost entirely sold out now, so I’ve been looking at possible alternatives rather than waiting for whenever the 2020 Nukeproofs might be released, and as part of that I’ve begun to wonder whether a better option might be to go for a budget full sus bike instead.

Riding is mainly local woods and flatfish terrain, but my lad is of an age where he’s getting into mountain biking now, so I can see trips to bike parks / trail centres on the horizon, and wonder whether I might miss out on potential extra fun by not going fully suspended. I guess it comes down to whether, for an average rider, the improved quality fork and components associated with a similarly priced hardtail is worthwhile at this end of the market?

Bikes on the shortlist at the moment are as follows, but happy for any other suggestions and experience from anyone whose tried both types:

Hardtails:
    – Nukeproof Scout Race (£1349)
    – Ragley Mmmbop (£1299)
    – Sonder Transmitter NX Eagle Revelation (£1399)

Full Sus:
    – Marin Hawk Hill 1 (£1349)
    – Sonder Evol SX Eagle Recon (£1399)

This will be on Halfords Cycle2Work scheme, so obvious contenders from retailer-specific brands such as Calibre, Norco and Vitus are unfortunately out of the running…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Id say HT if you want to spend £1350 and just ride it and have fun.

FS if you want to spend £1350 and then spend money making it better. Not so much the finishing kit and drive chain (which may have corners cut but will be functional). But stuff like getting the shock tuned to your weight and riding, upgrading forks or their dampers etc seem more important on an FS as it’s faster and bad suspension throws it off ballance. Whereas a HT a lackluster fork is easier to ride around.

You don’t ever need a FS for any particular trail, they just make it faster.

Aslo, dunno how tall you are and how you get on with them, but 29ers work so much better than small wheels on a HT IMO. Especially now that geometry is longer and slacker anyway, the perceived “29ers chainstays are too long so they don’t corner” flaw is somewhat less relevant.

joebristol

I’d be tempted to go full suss at that budget and see if you can get a bike in a sale with a revelation fork on the front. That’ll be a step better than the recons that seem to adorn the cheaper full suss bikes and gives potential to upgrade the damper at a later stage to make Pike – should you really get the bug.

A Vitus Escarpe might be worth adding to the list if they go in the sale.

simon_g

Get a good hardtail – it’s hard enough to get things like a decent fork at that price point. Your money doesn’t go anywhere near as far these days, and manufacturers have been chipping away downspeccing stuff each year to keep models at the same prices.

Modern 29ers are worth considering too, there are some great options with slacker geo, longer fork, etc – it’s not all XC race machines.

I’ve done places like BPW on a hardtail – OK you’ll not be smashing down black runs but you can rent a Trek Remedy there for £65 so it may make more sense to just rent on those days.

Tredz take Halfords vouchers and have more discounted stuff, I got my Marin HT from them on Halfords C2W.

jamesthorn50

out of those choices, id go with the HT nukeproof. any bike is going to be fun to get out and ride on (took my child towing alloy 26″er round the red routes of dalby last weekend and had a blast) but i do like those nukeproofs. sure you could get a FS and upgrade it later down the line but it sounds like from the sort of riding you do and your budget, a hardtail may be the better option. Theres something very fun about ragging around on a 27.5″ hardtail.
    why not see if theres any bike demo going on near you and try out a full sus and a ht and see if that helps you decide which way to go.

wrightyson
    Free Member

As is usual on stw I will blow the budget. Coukd you push to a 2018 whyte t130 at 1700 quid? Bang for buck they are unbelievable. It climbs really well and my lad literally makes it fly.
    If not why not calibre bossnut tbey get mega reviews!
    Bossnut

choppersquad
    Free Member

Can’t get the Bossnut on the Cycle To Work Scheme.
    Good shout on the Whyte though.

nick881
    Free Member

What about a Whyte 629? Bigger wheels but supposed to be very good.

I used to have a commencal meta sl full sus before it got stolen. I ride a bit of xc, trails in the local hills and reds and blues at the trail centre. Mountain biking since I was a kid but at a pretty average level.

I was planning to replace the meta with another ful sus but to get what I wanted was going to be about 2k, which I couldn’t afford. I ended up getting a used 2018 Cube Reaction TM. 130mm hard tail. Comparing it to the meta on the same routes… It’s a bit less comfy in the saddle, it goes uphill better, it hasn’t made much difference to going downhill for me, probably because I’m not doing anything too extreme, the odd small drop and jump.

The geometry isn’t as long and the long frames these days but it’s a good all rounder with a good level of components.

funkmasterp

29er HT is what I’d be looking at in that price range tbh. You could get something pretty decent.

jz123
    Free Member

I’d get the nukeproof, actually I was in the same situation last year and got the nukeproof. Awesome bike, absolutely flies on pretty much anything, including reds at bike park Wales.

Kryton57

A pity you can’t get a Vitus.  A Sentier 29 VR sounds perfect and only £999 for the SLX.

kula72
    Free Member

I’d get the hawk hill out of those choices. It’ll be fun out of the box but with loads of upgrade potential. Looks good too.

johnnystorm

Can you use c2w at Sunset cycles? Looks like the P7 and Crush are reduced to more or less your budget!

6079smithw
    Free Member

Canyon do some kind of cycle to work thing so maybe a Grand Canyon https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/mountain-bikes/trail-bikes/grand-canyon/grand-canyon-al-sl-8.0/

Or there’s a £1.5K Lapierre full sus at Cycle Republic if you can find it

trumpton
    Free Member

I’d try and get a discounted fs from the previous year for your budget if anyone has them in stock, if not wait maybe until next year or spend a bit extra for this years fs.

plus-one

Sonder evol os a great bike for the money

kula72
    Free Member

The hawk hill can be had £200 cheaper at cycle republic.

I’d have (I do have) the rift zone out of preference to 29″, but they’re similar otherwise. If you can find a bad review of either bike I haven’t seen it. This generation of Marin’s have had great reviews from the press and some top riders on instagram seem to love them. I think some can’t shake off the view of some of their iffy models from previous years though. Their loss.

mechanicaldope

FS frame only and transfer your parts? What you got at the moment?

nick881
    Free Member

Hardtail all the way. Mostly riding on the flat.. full sus is a negative. Trail centres, £1300 hardtail is great for most trails. Easier pedaling, less maintenance. Save yourself some money and get a discounted 2019 model.

Check out GMBN doing the Megavalanche on a Scout.

Scout alternative….
    Cube Reaction TM

martymac

I think I’d go hardtail at that budget, you’ll get something that’s really quite nice.
    If you go fs, you’re definitely in the budget end of the market, the whole point of fs is the suspension, and at that sort of price it’s not gonna work very well, while a ht at that price will, generally, work better due to having a better controlled fork.
    Sorry I can’t recommend anything in particular, although i quite liked the look of that cube reaction above.

wideboy
    Free Member

Or get a top end FS 26″!

applecat
    Free Member

Thanks all for the replies – plenty of food for thought there, including some bikes (like the Cube Reaction) that weren’t previously on my radar.

The broad (if not universal) consensus seems to be that a better spec’d HT is the way to go at that price point, with a lot of that focused on the quality of the suspension. My previous bike (which I had for 3 years before it was stolen) was an 2015 Orange Crush. That had a Rockshox Revelation fork, so I assume I’d probably notice if the quality of the ride was significantly inferior to that.

Which leads me to a couple of follow-up questions:

Firstly, given that the FS bikes in my range will likely come with Rockshox Recon forks or equivalent, and the HT’s with Rockshox Sektor or, at a push Revelations, where does the causal rider hit the point of diminishing returns for suspensions forks? For example, given that the Nukeproof Scout Race comes with Sektors, but with some shopping around it’s possible to pick up an Orange P7, Marin San Quentin 3 or Sonder Transmitter fitted with Revelations, are those likely to be a better buy? Or is there a point at which the suspension is ‘good enough’, and the other parts / overall package becomes more important?

And related to that, with 2019 model discounting on the horizon, is there a level in terms of suspension components where FS bikes start to make more sense in relation to similarly priced HT’s?

joebristol

The revelation has the older moco damping (unless it’s a revelation charger rc in which case you’ve done well) but much bigger stanchions which makes them more stiff and accurate in the handling. They’ll also get less noodly on really rough trails. If you have the moco version you could choose later to put in a charger damper and make them Pikes effectively.

For me I’d have an fs if I could only have one bike and if you could pick up a sale bargain shortly then I’d still go that route.

I have a hardtail for playing on (Vitus Sentier with Pikes / GX 11 speed) and it is a lot of fun but for bigger rides on tougher terrain I’ll always take the fs.

kula72
    Free Member

There is bugger all to choose between the forks you’d be getting at that level. None will have expensive dampers. You may but very well may not notice the difference between solo-air and debonair. You may or may not notice the difference between 32 and 35mm stanchions. All the forks you mentioned are decent enough.

But…the bike isn’t just a think to hang a fork off. It isn’t going to make a bad bike into a good one or vice-a-versa. Way too much emphasis on one component IMO. I’ve never looked back on a bike and recalled it being good (or bad) because of the fork on it.

joebristol

If you’d fit a 16” frame then Cycle Republic (part of Halfords) have this:

https://www.cyclerepublic.com/boardman-pro-650b-mens-full-suspension-mountain-bike-2016.html

It’s a few years old in terms of spec but it has Pikes (way better than any other fork in budget), GX 11 speed, 4 bar suspension and guide R brakes.

It’s not the longest or slackest bike but it would be decent. I had the previous version with slightly steeper geometry and I did BPW on it and a few other uplift days and really enjoyed it.

wors

I’ve got a 2017 Giant Anthem that I am potentially thinking of moving on..

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

For hardtail I’d argue that fork choice makes absolutely no real world difference. If the trail is rough enough to test its stiffness then the back end will be being thrown about too. If the damping is being overwhelmed then your legs are probably also knackered etc.

As long as it’s got some damping and it’s not too bad then it’s fine.

Be way more critical of the frame and it’s geometry. A great frame with a sub par fork will ride well. A great fork and a sub par frame will great bouncing the fork in the car park and kak everywhere else.

crazyjenkins01

Real shame you cant use the vouchers at Go Outdoors as the NEW Bossnut has literally just been released (as in less than 2 weeks)!

Hoping my local store will have one built by the weekend so I can see one in the flesh, but the pics I’ve seen and the upgrades (for an extra £100) I’m seriously considering changing from my Bossnut V1…

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘£1350 Trail Bike – Mid Range Hardtail or Budget Full Sus?’ is closed to new replies.