Home Forums Bike Forum 12 Speed Mech Compatibility

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • 12 Speed Mech Compatibility
  • richmtb

Hey guys,

My GX mech has just lunched itself, inside cage bent and top jockey wheel fell out.

There are basically no GX 12 speed bits anywhere so can i swap the GX for an SLX 12-speed or do i need to swap the shifter too?

richmtb

silly bump

joebristol

Probably be ok – there’s a very small difference in cable pull but loads of people seem to be making it work. Sram shifter is nicer than the Shimano for me too.

thepurist

Fwiw I got MrsPs XT 12sp shifter working fine with an 11sp SLX mech for a while after I ordered the wrong XT mech – so if a Gx shifter works with a 12sp XT mech there’s a chance you’d get away with 11sp too, if that’s more readily available

mlltt

I got it to work with gx shifter and xt mech, and I’m no mechanic.

Got an xt shifter, xt mech, gx Cassette and chain and it’s been spot on for ages

richmtb

I’ve actually got a GX-11 mech lying around, suppose its worth a try too.

SirHC

Shimano and Sram 12 speed mechs and shifters play together, I’ve ran a sram shifter and shimano mech for 18 months with no issues.

RichBowman

I’ve used a SRAM GX shifter and Eagle Cassette with a Shimano mech (all 12 speed) and it worked fine.

richmtb

Thanks for the replies.

£80 lighter of wallet for an SLX mech then

susepic

+1 for the SLX mech – running mine with an NX shifter no probs

wzzzz
    Free Member

Yes I ran a deore 12 mech with a gx 12 shifter for a while. Much better shifting than the GX mech

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘12 Speed Mech Compatibility’ is closed to new replies.