Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • 10 speed chain rings???? required? or can I use a 9sp chain ring ok?
  • JPcapel
    Free Member

Am about to take the plunge and go 1×10, hoping a ratio of 32t front and 12-36 rear will cover all that I need on my full suss. and save some weight over using dual set up with a front mech.
    Am accepting I need new rear mech, cassette, chain, shifter, etc
    But does anyone reliable know whether you can continue using a 9sp front chainring (Middleburn hard coated). I assume a 10speed chain is narrower than a 9sp chain so will the chainring accept a 10sp chain.

Any clarity would be welcomed! thanks.

speaker2animals

I’d ask Middleburn personally. I would expect that a 10 speed would perform better. And not sure if a 9spd would work at all.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

10 spd chains are narrower by the virtue of having thinner plates at the sides. 9spd will work fine for a single ring setup, just not for multiples.

HTH!

joe@brookscycles
    Free Member

9 and 10 speed chains are the same internal width, so single chainrings are totally interchangable. On a double or triple there’s scope for problems, but 1 x 10 with your older Middleburn will be fine.

JPcapel
    Free Member

Brilliant – thanks all.
    Am def. running solo front chain ring so all will be well.
    Will crack on with the CRC order now !

julianwilson
    Free Member

If the internal width (and therefore width of chainrings and individual sprockets) is the same, then is the spacing on chainsets/front mechs different? Only reason I ask is that whilst shopping for new cranks i see that crc sell different priced shimano 9 and 10 speed chainsets.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

#
    bikewhisperer – Member

10 spd chains are narrower by the virtue of having thinner plates at the sides. 9spd will work fine for a single ring setup, just not for multiples.

HTH!
    Posted 12 minutes ago # Report-Post
    #
    joe@brookscycles – Member

9 and 10 speed chains are the same internal width, so single chainrings are totally interchangable. On a double or triple there’s scope for problems, but 1 x 10 with your older Middleburn will be fine.
    Posted 10 minutes ago # Report-Post

Wrong and wrong.

I’ve used 10 speed chains on 9 speed triples and doubles for a couple of years without any problems whatsoever.

speaker2animals

Won’t the price difference be because the 10 speed kit is new so it is a chance for retailers to increase margin for a while, especially as no doubt they will have to start dropping their margins on “out of date” 9 speed stuff?

joe@brookscycles
    Free Member

Here we go again…

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Wrong and wrong.

I’ve used 10 speed chains on 9 speed triples and doubles for a couple of years without any problems whatsoever.

I’ve tried it on a few people’s road setups as they’ve been trying to save money when upgrading and it didn’t work at all. It may be different on MTB setups due to more aggressive shift ramps but I’ve never tried it.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I’ve tried it on a few people’s road setups as they’ve been trying to save money when upgrading and it didn’t work at all. It may be different on MTB setups due to more aggressive shift ramps but I’ve never tried it.

I’ve been using 10 speed chains on a 9 speed Ultegra double for almost two years now, and a 9 speed triple XTR and a double XTR set up using 9 speed TA Chinook chainrings.

All were flawless in use.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘10 speed chain rings???? required? or can I use a 9sp chain ring ok?’ is closed to new replies.