Home Forums Chat Forum 1 week roadtrip in Ireland- give me ideas!

• This topic has 20 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by ElVino.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • 1 week roadtrip in Ireland- give me ideas!
  • spicer
    Free Member

Slightly last minute, the Mrs and I have taken next week off to take a road trip around Ireland. Personally, I know very little about whats in Ireland!

So, other than Dublin (which we went to earlier in the year), where would you visit and whats there?

Some time to relax as well as some time outdoors doing some good hiking will be on the agenda.

leondemille
    Free Member

Galway, great city for food, music etc. Then up to Achill. Great walking, beaches .

kilo

Bit of a personal bias here but always Kerry and in particular Iveragh peninsula. Excellent walking with the Kerry way and the McGillycuddy reeks give you the highest peaks in Ireland.
    O’Neils at Renard point for the best seafood, Kenmare for touristy things.

The Beara peninsula in Cork is also very nice.

Failing that the Wild Atlantic Way will be good pretty much wherever you hit it.

higgo
    Free Member

Doolin, Galway, Achill

(and don’t try to see all of Ireland in 7 days)

ampthill

Over 3 trips I’ve done Cork to Achill Island

Hard to choose a favourite as it was all fab

Hiking needs researching in detail as it’s just less developed than over here.

hot_fiat

Dublin ≠ Ireland.  Yes it’s amazing, vibrant, insane, lovely, but there’s a lot more to see.

Donegal? Track down the Star Wars locations there and in Sligo.

Visit a proper Irish bar. Get stoopidly drunk with the locals, stand (or slump) when the anthem plays at kick out time  I like this one, and have staggered home from it many times, but there’s plenty more.

vd

Galway, the Kerry coast and a drive/cycle of the Inishowen peninsula. We drove, but it would be a great bike ride. 100 miles I recall and takes in Malin Head.

tractionman

come north, the Antrim coast road and then across lough Foyle on the ferry to Malin Head, then south towards Sligo, gorgeous scenery and gorgeous people, so much to see you’ll have to come back 👍

theotherjonv

west coast. Ring of Kerry, Galway, Cliffs of Moher. Fabulous place, had a great time on my 3 visits there.

alpin
    Free Member

I doubt a road trip of a week is likely to do the island of Ireland justice.

Take either more time or just concentrate on one area.

I’m looking forward to going back to the UK because we, or rather the GF, can only spend 90 days in the UK. We’ll have to jump over to Ireland for at least three months. Even three months isn’t enough time.

alpin
    Free Member

It reminds me of the septics I met in Munich who were doing a three week tour of Europe. 😒

hot_fiat

I’m looking forward to going back to the UK because we, or rather the GF, can only spend 90 days in the UK. We’ll have to jump over to Ireland for at least three months

Not sure how you’re gonna get that recorded. When travelling within the Common Travel Area, I’ve never been stamped into/out of Ireland.

alpin
    Free Member

Well if that’s the case I’ll insist that they stamp her passport. Although it must be registered electronically somewhere by UK border people.

Tbh…. I’m not overly keen on spending that much time in the UK.

Caher

+ Kerry – my Swiss buddies thinks it’s beautiful. Avoid the end of September as I’m over then and it’ll rain.

spicer
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

And no, we’re not expecting to see the whole of Ireland in one week- we’ll pick two, perhaps three spots to stay in and do some exploring round those local areas.

johnhe

I used to holiday in Ireland each year. The places that have stuck in my mind were Dingle (both the town and the peninsula), the Beara peninsula, Achill and Connemara. I think Connemara is the most achingly beautiful place I’ve ever seen. There is a place called Doolough in Connemara, with a memorial to the famine victims who died there. Is is just so poignant.

https://www.thewildatlanticway.com/sight/doolough-valley/

Apparently, Ireland used to be one of the most heavily populated countries in Europe, until the famine. But now, you can drive for miles and miles without seeing anyone. And there are so many derelict old cottages.

bonni

The Burren is a cool spot if you’re visiting Galway Bay. Limestone pavements, caves, semi-tropical flora and ornate stone walls. I love it there. Ditto the Aran Islands.

tractionman

I would suggest too having a think about time of year of the visit — 1. the weather, east is generally drier and sunnier, best time of year here for better weather is usually June though Feb can also be good; 2. some of the places noted above, Kerry, Burren, etc all very nice but very touristy and can be busy especially in the summer.

Less visited counties but very scenic are Leitrim, Sligo and Fermanagh–good for outdoorsy stuff too.

If walking is your thing, note there is no public rights of way network in Ireland, north or south, but cycling is great, as there are loads of minor, very quiet roads and tracks, for this the Ordnance Survey map is your friend :-)

https://dash4it.co.uk/catalog/category/view/s/os-explorer-maps/id/50/

https://dash4it.co.uk/catalog/category/view/s/os-explorer-maps/id/51/

GEDA
    Free Member

Achill is ok but a bit bleak. Westport in co mayo is a really buzzing Little Town with loads of pubs and music. You can then climb up croag patrik. The amazing holy mountain of Ireland and see the amazing view over clew bay. Connamara is within easy reach.

lowey

I spent two weeks in May doing the Wild Atlantic Way. I would say The Beara and Kerry Peninsula’s would be a great explore with a trip into Killarney National Park. Connemara national park also stunning with a brilliant visitor centre that has waymarked walks running from it.

The Dingle peninsula is also lovely, the drive around the head should not be missed and Dingle itself is a lovely vibrant town.

Was disappointed with Cliffs of Mohar and The giants causeway to be honest. Rammed full of tourists and not particularly spectacular anyway. The Cliffs of Sliabh Liag where much more impressive. Glenveagh Castle and Gardens plus the visitor centre there is a great day out.

I Loved Ireland and cant wait to go back.

ElVino
    Free Member

If you get a chance and weather is good visit Aran Islands. Dingle Way is well signposted and is excellent hiking.

Don’t discount Wicklow, Wexford and Waterford. Easier if you want to bring a car  and get about half the amount of the rain of the west coast. Glendalough in Wicklow has a series of well signposted trails, Spink loop is a great half day walk. Wexford has great beaches and Waterford also has good sea kayaking, beaches etc. All close to Rosslare or Dublin ferries. PM if you want some more info. I am back pretty regularly.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.