Home Forums Chat Forum 1 hour from Concept to working Prototype

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • 1 hour from Concept to working Prototype
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I saw one of those tension toys where one bit of metal ‘floats’ above the other simply by the tension in the string.

Looked fun but wondered if I could do something useful like make a table. I have a nice bit of wood that I am hoping to collect at the weekend but thought I had better knock up a prototype first to check if it was possible / practical.

An off cut of timber, a bit of scrap ply, some garden wire and a few spare washers and I have a working prototype.

I might even do a “Are you bored enough to watch me tie some wood together” video of the real thing

ampthill

Looks fun. A video tour would help

kayak23

Weirdly I saw one of those earlier today on faceagram or somewhere.

Something like this. Wouldn’t want to put me Estrella on it I don’t think.

ebygomm
    Free Member

Reminds me, I’d been meaning to build a lego one

View this post on Instagram

#legotensegrity

A post shared by Elizabeth Gomm (@ebygomm) on

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Those are the types of thing I saw. I just wondered if I could make a usable table and it looks like I can. I might even try for a seat if I get bold.

sirromj

What do they say about your username?

Re Lego, there’s a few on rebrickable

This might be a good one to model a table on:

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-41771/AllThatBricks/tensegrity-structure-with-technic-bricks

FB-ATB

It’s witchcraft, you’re all witches and are gonna burn.

tthew

Oh, I’ve got it now! The tension strings are counteracting rotation, not gravity.

Jakester
    Free Member

This is quite a good video that shows how it works:

willard

WE WANT A VIDEO!!!!

Come on WCA, you know you want to…

Richie_B

I might even try for a seat if I get bold.

Yea he’s back on form, I’d watch that. What could possibly go wrong?

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

What could possibly go wrong

Tension chair, glass tension Coffee table and an angle grinder somewhere in there for good measure?

Oh yes, I’d watch that. no don’t do it, won’t somebody think of the children.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

won’t somebody think of the children.

After some of the ways it could go wrong having children maybe out of the question.

ji
    Free Member

WE’ve got a couple of these mde in the first few weeks of lockdown. ONly issues are that they are solid in terms of downwards force, but take relatively little to ‘twist’ the top so the whole thing collapses. There are square models rather than the more common triangular ones that are more stable I think. The other issue is use string that doesn’t stretch over time – ours has become much looser with playing and general stretching (oh err missus)

eddiebaby
    Free Member

There are square models rather than the more common triangular ones that are more stable I think. The other issue is use string that doesn’t stretch over time – ours has become much looser with playing and general stretching

Check this guy out.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘1 hour from Concept to working Prototype’ is closed to new replies.