Singletrack is on the lookout for a new person to join our small, enthusiastic and hardworking team. We are looking for someone to work closely in our Todmorden office with Wil, our Technical Editor, writing news, shooting and appearing in video and photos as well as reviewing bikes and products.
The post will start early August 2018. It’ll be full time and based in our West Yorkshire office in Todmorden.
To further enhance and expand the technical mountain bike content on Singletrack’s website, its magazine, and social media channels.
The job will involve working closely with our Technical Editor in sourcing and reviewing new bikes and products, as well as keeping our award-winning website up to date with all of the product news stories from the mountain bike world.
It’s a wide-ranging role, though based entirely on the product, bike and technical side of the sport. You’ll need to do everything from researching and writing news stories, interviewing the movers and shakers of the mountain bike world, sourcing and reviewing products, editing photos and videos, attending trade shows and dealing with the million ‘can you just jobs’ that are part of daily life in a small media company.
Salary and Benefits
We offer a workplace pension scheme, generous holiday allowance and salary bonus opportunities. (Plus, we invented #drinkbeeratyourdeskfriday… )
Salary will be in the range of £19,000 – £25,000 per annum, dependent on skills, experience and ability to the hit the ground running.
The successful applicant must:
- be a keen mountain biker with average or better level of fitness and a good knowledge of where bike technology is at the moment.
- be willing and able to review bikes and components from day one.
- be engaging in front of a video camera and be confident during live broadcasts.
- be willing to be based in our office in Todmorden, West Yorkshire.
- possess good all-round technical bike knowledge with at least a home mechanic level of skill. (i.e. Able to build bikes and fit test products.)
- have excellent written English and computer literacy.
- have excellent social media skills and knowledge.
- be available to start work early August 2018.
- possess the self-motivation to get on with the job at hand and the self-awareness to ask for guidance when it’s needed.
- be willing to travel to press launches around the UK, Europe and further afield and take part in UK events, including working some weekends.
Ideally the candidate should have many of the following qualities:
- A good knowledge of bikes and components, with a keen mind that is able to look beyond brand names and price tags and to critically evaluate between different products and to produce reviews that will help guide readers into making the correct buying decisions.
- Have enough self-confidence to interview an Olympic champion one minute and to take part in our popular Facebook Live videos the next.
- An ability to quickly learn to use new technology and IT programs such as iMovie and Photoshop.
- A good working knowledge of video production and editing.
- A good knowledge of action and/or studio photography.
- A full UK driver’s licence
To find out more:
- A link to at least one example of a video you have made, ideally including a voiceover or you talking to camera
- A link to at least one example of a relevant piece of your written work
- A link to your Instagram feed
- A covering letter of application and CV
…to firstname.lastname@example.org, by Sunday 3rd June. We aim to get back in touch with all applicants by 11th June.