If you’re a subscriber and supporter of Singletrack Magazine, there’s a very good chance you’ll already have your hands on a copy of the latest issue, which has just come fresh off the printing press as of this week. If you don’t have one, the good news is that you can buy one online right here and have it shipped directly to your door!
Speaking of being shipped directly to your door (that’s segue of the day that is…), the bike test in the new issue is all about bikes that can be purchased direct. The three-way bike test includes a Bird Aeris 145, an Intense Primer Expert, and a Sonder Evol – all different in their own way, but all designed to be versatile do-it-all trail bikes that you can buy online.
There was one bike that we originally had lined up for that group test, but production delays meant it missed out on making it into the magazine. Thankfully our Andorran friends have still come through with the goods, and we’ve just received this brand spanking Commencal Meta Trail that we’ll be testing in a standalone online review.
Commencal Meta Trail V4.2 Features
- Aluminium 6066 Triple Butted tubing
- 27.5in wheels
- Single-pivot suspension design
- 130mm rear travel
- Designed for 210 x 50 mm metric rear shock
- Piggy back compatible
- Designed for 130-140mm travel forks
- 66.5° head angle
- 74° seat angle
- Reach: 415mm (Small), 435mm (Medium), 460mm (Large), 490mm (X-Large)
- 437mm chainstay length
- 1x only
- Press fit BB92 bottom bracket shell
- ISCG05 chainguide tabs
- 148 x 12 mm boost rear hub spacing
- RRP: €2299 – €3499
Version 4.2 of the Meta Trail (or Meta TR) was launched back in late-2016, and brought with it an all-new alloy frame and a revised suspension platform borrowed from the longer travel Meta AM.
The Meta TR takes that same frame architecture and shrinks down the travel to 140mm on the front, and 130mm on the rear. Geometry is still lengthy through the front end though, and its suitably slack for sending down steep Pyrenees singletrack.
There are four different Meta TR models available for 2018, topping out with this lovely raw alloy Meta TR Race. For your €3499 (Commencal already has it reduced down from €3799 on its website), you’ll get a Fox Factory Series suspension package, E*13 TRS wheels, tubeless Maxxis rubber, and a SRAM GX Eagle 1×12 drivetrain. Finishing kit comes from Commencal’s in-house Ride Alpha brand, while a KS LEV Integra dropper post and Shimano XT brakes fill out the poppin’ and stoppin’ duties.
The linkage-driven single pivot suspension design uses a high and forward main pivot, as well as a compact alloy rocker link that bolts on either side of the seat tube. To compress the rear shock in a more linear fashion, an alloy strut connects the lower eyelet of the shock to a pivot point tucked in behind the rocker. All pivots are running on sealed cartridge bearings for smoothness. Because the shock mounts underneath a fold in the top tube, there’s plenty of clearance in the mainframe for a water bottle.
What do you guys think of this Meta TR Race? Is the raw finish and Kashima suspension doing it for you? Or not? Tell us what you think in the comments section below!
We’ll have a full teardown and review coming in the near future on this Andorran thrill seeker, but if you must have more questions answered, whack ’em in here and we’ll do our best to answer them, or head to the Commencal website for all the specifics.
2018 Commencal Meta Trail V4.2 Race Specifications
- Frame // 6066 Triple Butted Aluminium Tubing, 130mm Travel
- Fork // Fox 34 Float, Factory Series, 140mm Travel
- Shock // Fox Float DPS, Factory Series, 210x50mm
- Hubs // E13 TRS, 110x15mm Front & 148x12mm Rear
- Rims // E13 TRS, 30mm Inner Width, Tubeless Ready
- Tyres // Maxxis Forekaster EXO 2.35in Front & Minion SS EXO 2.3in Rear
- Crankset // SRAM GX Eagle, 34t X-Sync 2 Chainring, 170mm Arm Length
- Rear Mech // SRAM GX Eagle, 12-Speed
- Shifters // SRAM GX Eagle, 12-Speed
- Cassette // SRAM XG-1275 Eagle, 10-50t, 12-Speed
- Brakes // Shimano Deore XT, 200mm Front & 180mm Rear Rotors
- Stem // Ride Alpha, 31.8mm Diameter, 50 mm Length
- Bars // Ride Alpha, 7075 Alloy, 30mm Rise, 780mm Wide
- Grips // Ride Alpha Ergonomic Lock-On, Super Soft Compound
- Seatpost // KS LEV Integra, 125mm Travel (S/M) or 150 mm Travel on L/XL, Southpaw Lever
- Saddle // Ride Alpha SuperLight Foam, Ti-Alloy Rails
- Size Tested // Large
- Sizes Available // Small, Medium, Large, X-Large
- Claimed Weight // 13.4kg (29.48lb)
- RRP // €3499
Trusted reviews of the brands you love.
While you are here..
If everyone who reads our features, who likes them, helps fund us, our future would be much more secure. Help fund the content you love us to create from just £1.50/month. It’s easy to setup, secure and you can cancel at any time with the click of a mouse.