UK wheel brand Halo has got some fresh product to kick off Hump Day, with the introduction of its new enduro-capable wheelset called the Vortex.
Designed as a heavier duty version of the Vapour 35 wheelset we tested last year, the Vortex features new burlier, asymmetric heat-treated alloy rims that are purpose built to survive the demands of hard-out enduro racing and riding.
Whereas the Vapour 35 wheelset is pitched as a plus-tyre wheelset, the Vortex places its emphasis on strength and tyre support, with a 33mm internal width that’s ideal for the new generation of ‘Wide Trail’ tyres around the 2.5in size, such as the Maxxis Minion DHF and DHR II tyres that we’ve been loving.
Yes, it’s wide enough to run bigger plus tyres on it if you wanted, but the Vortex wheelset is primarily designed for aggressive trail riding and enduro racing, where a 2.5in wide tyre is about as wide as most riders want to go.
Ison Distribution will be showcasing the new Halo Vortex wheelset at the Core Bike Show this weekend, but we’ve managed to get our hands on some information a little earlier.
Complete wheelsets will be available in both 27.5in and 29in diameters, and in a range of hub sizes. Spokes will be of the standard J-bend variety with external nipples, while the hubs are Halo’s own MT Superdrive hubs, which features a 3-pawl mechanism inside the rear hub that delivers a buzzy 120 points of engagement. With a claimed weight of 2.1-2.2kg, these aren’t going to be winning any mass-related awards, but the emphasis here has clearly been placed on strength and value over ultimate lightweight.
Price will be £410 for the wheelset, and the wheels are due to be available in April of this year. Oh, and there’s sticker kits! But those aren’t included with the wheels – they’re available aftermarket for £19.99 for a kit.
Halo Vortex Wheels Feature
- Tough, wide alloy wheelset designed for trail and enduro
- Available in 27.5in and 29in diameters
- 6061-T10 heat-treated alloy rims
- Asymmetric profile for even spoke tensions
- 33mm inner width, 38mm outer width
- Designed for 2.35-2.5in wide tyres
- MT Superdrive hubs with sealed bearings and interchangeable end caps (Torque Caps & Boost adapter kits available)
- Boost and non-Boost hub options
- 120pt 3-pawl freehub mechanism for 3° engagement
- Shimano and SRAM XD freehub bodies available
- 32 J-bend spokes per wheel
- Claimed rim weight: 565g (27.5in), 600g (29in)
- Claimed wheelset weight: 2140g (27.5in), 2270g (29in)
- RRP: £410
- Available April 2018