For 33 years, Rocky Mountain Bicycles has been designing and developing mountain bikes in and around The North shore of Vancouver, British Columbia. And for the 2015 model year it looks like they’re bringing back an old favourite, the Blizzard, as a fat bike.
Last seen as a popular 100mm travel, 853 tubed hard tail, the Blizzard is resurrected as an aluminium framed ‘agile’ and ‘trail bike geometried’ 4.7″ tyred conquerer of snow, sand and pretty much everything.
Helping in the conquering stakes are a set of Rock Shox Bluto RL 100mm suspension forks, offering us a sneak peek of a fork which at the time of going to press we’ve seen no mention of.
Here’s what Rocky Mountain have to say…
A NEW CLASS OF FAT BIKE.
With suspension-specific design, agile trail-bike geometry, and a truly capable parts spec, the Blizzard delivers legendary Rocky Mountain ride quality on snow, sand, and anything else you get yourself into. Ride out the storm!
RIDE TUNED CONCEPT
The overall goal was simple: create a true “mountain bike” feeling Fat Bike for fun in soft conditions.
It was no easy task to design a frame that clears the huge 4.7” tires while maintaining the playful geometry that Rocky Mountain is legendary for. With a suspension-corrected 68.5° head tube angle, neutral chainstays, and shorter-than-average top tube, we were able to make this goal a reality.
Our signature FORM™ aluminum was applied from the Vertex for rugged, lightweight construction.
HOW RTC™ IS APPLIED TO THE BLIZZARD
Designing a frame to clear the maximum tire width, while still maintaining the legendary playful geometry that Rocky Mountain is known for, is no easy task. Engineering specifically around a suspension fork meant creating an axle to crown height that optimized the additional length, while achieving a headtube angle aggressively marked at 68.5°. Keeping tradition at hand, our signature FORM™ aluminum was passed down from the Vertex – ensuring a lightweight construction while maximizing the widest 4.7” tire possible. The overall goal was simple; create a true “mountain bike” feeling Fat-Bike in order to maximize fun in soft trail conditions. By maintaining a shorter-than-average top tube, we are able to make this goal a reality.
- Wide 4.7” tires provide optimized traction and stability across snow, sand, and soft trails, giving rider the opportunity to climb steep terrain and navigate Mother Nature’s natural terrain park
- Agile geometry keeps the Blizzard feeling like a true mountain bike, following the legendary ride quality Rocky Mountain is famous for
- Frame Bag (sold separately) designed specifically for the Blizzard by Porcelain Rocket, Strapless system helps keep all your gear safe and dry with water resistant fabric and waterproof zippers. Main compartment allows for jacket or food, with expandable pocket for tools and other needed items
- Rock Shox Bluto RL 100mm suspension fork with 15x150mm thru axle
- 2 x Anything Cage™ mounts + extra bosses allowing additional custom frame bag options.
- Custom designed Race Face 24T narrow wide single ring, featuring drive-side offset for optimal shifting performance while maximizing climbing ability
- Custom designed Race Face bashguard mounted to outboard, provides ultimate protection while allowing for easy 2x conversions – expanding versatility
- Front derailleur mount allows for rider conversion (optional)
- Sealed bearing 6-pawl heavy duty freehub system increases torque on steep climbs in soft conditions
- Internally routed full length housing
- Stealth compatible