Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)
  • Your ideal way to spend Christmas Day?
  • Sue_W
    Free Member

Always lots of moaning about what you end up doing over the festive period, so what would be your ‘ideal Christmas Day’?

Me:

Breakfast of smoked salmon, bagels, OJ and champagne, and excellent coffee

Refuse to have a ‘timetable for the day’ and head off biking or hiking in the mountains (summit of Snowdon was an ace place to enjoy a mince pie one Christmas)

Come back for hot mince pies, more excellent coffee, and approach the cooking of a fabulous veggie Christmas dinner with a glass of warm Blossa Gloog

Have a load of friends round for a chaotic and fun dinner and drinking.

Dispatch friends, retreat with a handsome chap and a pile of presents 🙂

So what would be your ideal or fantasy Christmas Day?

(And yes, I know, unfortunately reality will probably be somewhat different …

Harry_the_Spider

Alone with the wife, a log fire, some nice cheese and a bottle of red.

It won’t happen. 😐

chewkw
    Free Member

eat, sleep & no.2 …

grum
    Free Member

Come back for hot mince pies, more excellent coffee, and approach the cooking of a fabulous veggie Christmas dinner

Oxymoron. 😛

Mine would probably be shredding some fresh pow somewhere ( 😉 ) followed by hot tub and gluhwein.

enduro-aid
    Free Member

i dunno really

breakfast would be poached eggs with ham on toast and coffee, a lap of the local trails would be involved and then big dinner with family followed by silly games and drinking

all with lots of random snacks all the time

dont really care about presents that much anymore, i will be getting my misses a gift but that about it

bigsi
    Free Member

Spend the day sleeping.

I hate xmas 🙄

ianpinder
    Free Member

Last year is going to be hard too top.

Woke up, had breakfast with loads of new friends I had only met the week before.

Go skiing stop at a really ice mountain hut for hot chocolate. Bit more skiing, stop for lunch, more skiing in the afternoon. Get back to chalet around 4 pm, cold bottle of cider, hit the sauna with two very attractive south African twins. Get board of sauna, go sledging down the black run outside our chalet.

Go back have warm shower settle down for a meal with 25 other happy people. No stress, no arguments, just lots of fun.

nickf
    Free Member

Skiing in the Alps.

Christmas Eve – torchlit descent to the town, much vin chaud in the square, general merriment.

Christmas Day – locals all hungover, 10cm of fresh powder overnight, empty slopes (we saw almost nobody!), skied to 1pm, back to cook Beef Wellington in our chalet, presents, a few bottles of Clos des Papes.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

The day with the family around, the smell of freshly-cooking turkey mixed with the smell of a real Christmas tree, shit telly on in the background.

sofatester
    Free Member

Boarding somewhere steep and deep.

The rest wouldn’t really matter after that.

Hohum
    Free Member

^^^^
    A bit like MF’s really without the Christmas tree smell as we have a fake one.

Sue_W
    Free Member

mmm … contemplates whether ianpinder’s ideal Christmas day might be preferable … maybe if I learnt to ski and the South African twins could be exchanged for a handsome chap?

Actually, some kind of trip would be ace, better than the usual ‘family Christmas’ of stress and rows.

portlyone

Usual: Film & snack fest. Little ride to break up the day.

Fastasy: Film & snack fest. Little ride to break up the day. Hawaiian Tropic bus stops outside my house and…

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’d like to wake up.. No seriously, thats a good start.

Then hug MrsBouy (obviously) go make coffee and bring back to bed mince pies, get all crumbie and burp.

Walk in then there hills, bring family and kiddos and go see how the cattle are doing.

More coffee

More mince pies

Cook a rather tasty lunch thankyouverymuch, and more burps. Couple of decent bottles of wine consumed, then watch TV around a roaring fire.

More coffee

Share decent bottle of whiskey followed by some uber yum dark choc’s

Retire to bed..snuggle, burp.

Night night all..

Sandwich

Light breakfast. Followed by a short bike ride to friends with friends.
    Back home to family and a turkey dinner with all the trimmings. Dog walking after the dishes are done, those that the dishwasher can’t do.
    Evening vegging out with said family.

This year the bike ride may be missed out as my little girl is hosting the do for her first time. (Am now looking forward keenly to the day).

beej

Had a pretty good one a couple of years ago.

Up, sausage rolls and mince pies for breakfast.
    Pressies.
    Went for walk with friends on Watership Down, with a hot picnic which we had on the gallops. It was all snowy too.

SAW BILL ODDIE AS WE WALKED BACK TO THE CAR!

Need I say more?

plumber
    Free Member

boarding at Whitefish, Montana

jump in car – cowgirls coffee on the way to slopes – strap in, lift decend repeat

beer oclock

bed

perfect and exactly what I will be doing again this year

Junkyard
    Free Member

off my tits on drugs

LHS
    Free Member

Skiing with the family followed by Steak and Vin Rouge.

grum
    Free Member

off my tits on drugs

Do you not want to do something special for christmas rather than just doing what you do every other day of the year?

andrewh
    Free Member

BEst one I had was a couple of years ago, working 300miles from home on Xmas eve and boxing day, had nothing to do on xmas day and mate had nephews to avoidso went and climbed two mountains. Proper white christmas. Much better treating it as a day off rather than xmas.

rocketman
    Free Member

Spend some token time with the kids in the morning then go for a bike ride. Set a precedent a few years ago when mrs rocket begrudgingly let me go out to ‘test’ some new bike kit and I’ve done the same ever since

Was pretty good in 2007 IIRC it snowed gently on the way back it was all Xmasy like 😉

ianpinder
    Free Member

Sue_w

I couldn’t ski at the beginning of the week, and went alone not knowing everyone.

Best week so far of my life.

This year is going to be at home for the last time with my mum, sister, best friend, next door neighbour. And to save arguments I’m just going to do everything.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

for me and my better half, to be rudely woken by my little girl with an excited face. Cup of tea in hand let the wrapping paper cover the floor. Beyond that it really doesnt matter.

a few years ago, I was on my own and went up to llandegla, did the black, said hi to a couple of other riders parked outside the gates like me. the fresh air and the peace was wonderful. I then serviced the bike back at home, called up my sister and drove 2 hours to hers and got drunk on a bottle of red, totally unplanned. Great Xmas.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

… and plumber whitefish is a cool place, very jealous. 🙂

Torminalis
    Free Member

Awake.
    Oral.
    Close family arrive in high spirits.
    Breakfast of Champagne and Bacon Sarnies.
    Give presents.
    Open presents which include the keys to a nice new sports car, tickets for an exotic and very long holiday, keys to a mansion, lots of pledges of deviant sex.
    A few hours would then be spent hanging loose and getting mildly tipsy.
    Vast lunch cooked by Heston Blumenthal delivered over several hours with breaks for dozing, queens speeches, oral and dog walks.
    Afternoon of family computer games, drinking, snacking and James Bond.
    Oral.

bigthunder
    Free Member

Lie in then a light brekkie of cava and oj while the kids open their pressies. Bit tidy up then a nice walk with the dog and back to the settee. Get dinner on then sit down with some high quality ale. Deuchars mmm…. Enjoy dinner drink more and doze off on the couch. Super!

Junkyard
    Free Member

Do you not want to do something special for christmas rather than just doing what you do every other day of the year?

I assume you will eat healthily then 😉
    Serious answer time with my kids and see their faces when they see the toys then an afternoon messing with the kids and the new toys. Bike ride at some point as the trails are so quiet

Sue_W
    Free Member

ianpinder – which company did you go with? (I headed off to the alps for a couple of weeks mountaineering in the summer with a group of people I’d never met before. Fantastic time!)

torminalis – that’s the best ‘fantasy’ day description so far (although maybe it’s your reality 😯 )

Whitefish, Montana looks amazing (wonders whether I can find a spurious work excuse to go there – got to be better than Edmonton huh?)

Torminalis
    Free Member

although maybe it’s your reality

Every year or I sulk for 6 months. 😉

DezB
    Free Member

Snowboarding. And my wonderful wife has booked it this year. Christmas in Val D’Isere! Don’t care about the rest of it!!

gravitysucks
    Free Member

hit the sauna with two very attractive south African twins. Get board of sauna

You Sir, are a plum

ronjeremy
    Free Member

Have a load of friends round for a chaotic and fun dinner and drinking.

Dispatch friends, retreat with a handsome chap and a pile of presents

I might not be a true definition of handsome, but your day sounds good to me Sue, what time do you want me round, and what pressie am I to bring?

grum
    Free Member

I assume you will eat healthily then

No chance – I just eat even more than usual to mark our saviour’s birthday, it’s what he would have wanted.

lots of pledges of deviant sex.

From your close family…. 😯

willard

Last year was a tough one. Spent the whole day up a mountain with a snowboard (Sunshine Village, Canada) haing a whale of a time. Got the last bus back to the hotel, got in the outdoor hot tub with my wife and a bottle of champagne, then walked into the best restaurant I could find and had a huge steak and a very nice bottle of red.

The fantasy one would be similar, but would involve more champagne, longer in the hot tub, and fewer, make that no, other guests present in the hot tub. And replace the steak with moose meat. I’ll keep the red wine though.

Torminalis
    Free Member

From your close family

They know me so well…

Kevsterjw
    Free Member

I’d just like to spend the day with the wife and my son, thats it. It’ll never happen though as the wife got all stroppy when I said what I wanted, she want to see her family. Obviously xmas isn’t important to me just because i want us all to stay at home together.

bah humgug!!

roady_tony
    Free Member

wow…
    no mention of CHURCH JESUS or RELIGION in any of the above.

not that i have any religion anyway, just sayin’
    😉

uplink
    Free Member

This year it’ll be a a few beers and a BBQ on a balcony overlooking the Atlantic in Lanzarote

The only downside will be the thought that I have to go back to home to work on Jan 30th 🙂

Sancho
    Free Member

This year will be a little different as me and a few friends will be in Malaga, I expect a bit of chilling in the morning, hopefully get a couple of downhill runs in, then get the dinner on and have a good ol time.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘Your ideal way to spend Christmas Day?’ is closed to new replies.