Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Yoga – benefits to 'us blokes?
  • hora
    Free Member

My Boss keeps badgering me go to her classes. She’s the typical ultra-Yoga type build whereas I’m showing a fine physique built on years of bacon and Eggs.

What are the benefits apart from flexibilty and a feeling Fung Sui-type stuff.

slackalice
    Free Member

Flexibility of mind and body, and soul if you so desire. Increased core muscle toning and strength.

And another opportunity to wear your lycra, this time with chicks present.

As for the Feung Shui (pro fung shway)… Chinese astrology with a load of maths to ascertain the ‘flow of energy’. You probably get what you need from that sweet ripping singletrack 😆

Namaste

Rorschach
    Free Member

Means I can walk without the aid of a stick.
    Also farting is tolerated (but not going ‘yeaaaaah RIPPER,get a load of that…..).

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    MSP

Ryan Giggs swears by it, so good for sleeping with your brothers wife and beating up your girlfriend in a nightclub.

Pieface

Being in touch and control of your body, which helps with balance and sensing movement on the bike. Flexibility, energy, strength and inner resolve.

Keva
    Free Member

watching this benefits me…

Kev

kudos100
    Free Member

You get to view attractive ladies doing ‘dog pose’. Oh and it keeps you flexible.

What more do you want?

iDave
    Free Member

I was really relaxed until I watched that ^^

wallop

I’m not a bloke, but I go because I cycle. My husband goes too.

Long hours in the saddle can tighten/shorten hamstrings, calves and hip flexors. I think this is what is causing me my back/hip problems, so yoga is all about stretching them out and regaining flexibility.

So the answer to your question is “yes”.

hora
    Free Member

Rorschach -i know I’ll just break down in laughter at that part

spacehopper

Yoga is brilliant.. ive been going once a week for about a year now

i dont go in for all the chakra, energy flow rubbish.
    but.. increased core strength.. flexibility.. balance.. improved posture.. increased focus.. its really helped my riding this past year too through a combination of the above.

and as someone else said stretching the cycling shortened hamstrings is so good..

not been yet this year due to a chest infection and can really feel it.. cant wait to get back!

and make sure your teacher is properly qualified

sunnrider
    Free Member

I´ve been doing yoga for a few years now but in order to avoid all the hippy crap I just bought a decent dvd and follow the routines.
    Namaste has never passed my lips 😉

coolhandluke
    Free Member

watching this benefits me…

yep, me too, cheers Kev.

Now, how can I get Mrs Coolhandluke interested in taking up Yoga?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

It might calm the OP the **** down; given the utter shite he’s been spouting here today. Please hora, do some yoga. Do some tantric love shit. Meditate. Or something.

andyfb78
    Free Member

make sure you find a good teacher, it really makes all the difference. also go for astanga, or iyengar. Hatha yoga is the classic ‘contemplate the navel’, and i find it dull as i’m not very flexible, and hatha seems to be very much focused around being bendy.
    astanga sometimes called hot, or power yoga in western speak.

depends where you live but i can recommend
    mark freeth – freestyleyoga (kent and midlands) http://freestyleyogaproject.com/
    anne-marie newland sunpoweryoga (leicester) http://www.sun-power-yoga.co.uk/
    Jerry Kielty – balance yoga (glasgow) http://balance.co.uk/yoga/index.php

i have combined this with IM training and it has helped increase power and reduce injury..

Yoga is flippin ace, but it is all about a good teacher. worth travellign to one of mark freeth’s workshops, well worth it, really well worth it, he is very enthusiastic and really inpiring, plus you’ll sweat like a…..

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Increased bowl movements! 😆

drdjpower

As a 41 year old bloke, I find it humiliating and painful in equal measures. I love it. I agree with all the above about core strength, balance and stretchiness – I’m rubbish at all these, and the yoga helps. We do “ashtanga” which involves lots of press ups and so on. Only been doing it for a few months, mind.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Less chance of injury if you crash on the bike, thats reason enough to go for me.

Also a slight increse in power comes with greater flexibility.

Kevevs
    Free Member

I’m the least flexible, bendy, stretchy bloke ever. all the more reason for giving it a go no? I just imagine it being painful. Maybe I’ll get a DVD.

kimbers

everything said above
    I’ve not been for over a year and my joints are suffering for it !

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

benefits to ‘us blokes?

As much as you want really… you can even go for all the hippy BS and start touching your chakras.

Personally – strength, balance, flexibility, I do think that the side twists etc are having an effect on my insides, a superb opportunity to judge my flexibility with other young ladies people.

kimbers

oh and I got the giggles bad one time when one girl farted everyone else ignored it I had. to leave the room

Keva
    Free Member

I was doing Satria, Indonesian Yoga classes last year. Must start again when my injured calf is back to normal.

here’s a clip of what some of it looks like >
    http://www.woma.tv/movies/3K/indonesian-yoga.html

tbh. in my opinion, doing yoga makes you feel ace and is well worth all the effort.

Kev

hora
    Free Member

It might calm the OP the **** down; given the utter shite he’s been spouting here today. Please hora, do some yoga. Do some tantric love shit. Meditate. Or something.

Cheeky ****. My insight into the Business world of Football was Nirvana for you 8)

oh and I got the giggles bad one time when one girl farted everyone else ignored it I had. to leave the room

That reminded me of Johnny Knoxville on JackAss in a Yoga class- I know this will happen to me. I’m dreading it! Doing a class tomorrow night.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Wow – Keva… that Equinox video that girl is seriously good at yoga, what an inspriation!

hora
    Free Member

Ditto. 😯

wallop

There is a “yoga for cyclists” DVD, I got mine from rough ride guides. It’s no substitute for a class though.

ourmaninthenorth

*Men on STW suddenly feel the urge to do the “tent” position*

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

*Men on STW suddenly feel the urge to do the “tent” position*

For every perfect Adho Mukha Svanasana there is a place for a strategically placed and perfectly executed Bhujangasana.

sugdenr
    Free Member

Means I can still touch my toes, and my when my back aches now can I just stretch it out a little and i’m fine insead of being half crippled by it.
    I get up and say ‘right i’m off now’ once the wiered s**t starts – all that chanting and candle gazing and stupid breathing etc.
    I used to stay for the ‘relaxing’ but they got fed up with me snoring -apparently you are suppose to stay awake to get the benefit – FFS!.

purser_mark
    Free Member

I think there are different types. I use a DVD that is more strength biased but it depends what you want to get out of it. I use it for core strength, including legs, balance and improved felxibility.

I also use Yoga to stretch out after the previous days weight sessions helps to iron out the aches and pains of a good workout.

It helps with my kitesurfing and snowboarding, staying flexible as you get older is important.

A lot of people snigger at Yoga until they try it, some of it’s frekin hard but worth perservering with. Agreed there’s a fair amount of BS in there too! Just skip that.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

A lot of people snigger at Yoga until they try it

Too true. There’s a good few lads I’ve introduced to Yoga, or have finally come to a class after the physio tells them too.

Every one of them is a sweating wreck by the end, moaning about how weak they feel despite hours lifting weights every week.
    Every one of them is now a regular.

Fat people don’t do Yoga, or rather people that do it a lot, are not fat.

mustard
    Free Member

Fat people don’t do Yoga, or rather people that do it a lot, are not fat.

iYogi?

DezB
    Free Member

wallop – Member
    There is a “yoga for cyclists” DVD, I got mine from rough ride guides. It’s no substitute for a class though.

Yeah, I’ve got that! Did it once in a hotel room when I was away for work. Was too hard.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Shhh.. it’s going to be part of my not low-carb, low carb diet and lifestyle book Mustard.

You not been converted yet?

Actually, I’ve totally forgotten a real benefit… it’ll make slamming that stem a lot more comfortable.

mustard
    Free Member

You not been converted yet?

to yoga? Been to one workshop, really need to do something as I am the antithesis of flexible.

PT at the gym showing me kettle bell swings:

you’ve quite tight ham strings you should maybe stretch more often

😆

you getting a licence this year?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Race licence?

mustard
    Free Member

Race licence?

aye, I’m not doing very well today! Is there any other reason to slam that stem now RealMan has gone?!

philconsequence
    Free Member

yeti slammed my stem 2 weekends ago, he wouldn’t leave until he had molested my bike with his tool.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I had to get my wrench right in the nuts of your headset, make sure you were clamped on hard, and you liked it.

Aye, I should Mustard… looking at a new bike possibly too… the VO2 Pro Carbon is doing it for me at the minute.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Yoga – benefits to 'us blokes?’ is closed to new replies.