Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Yobokies watches..anyone?
  • Wally

Hi,emailed Harold, he is on holiday at the mo, looking at a Sinn mod on a small seiko 5 auto – a bit like this… any advice for a numpty? Like go black and white only!

MrSmith
    Free Member

I have one with the white numbers and the 3/4 date window. Not a fan of NATO straps so I have a hirsch on mine.
    Just tell him what you want built and if he has the parts in stock he builds it for you.

Wally

Agree on the strap comment – I will go for leather also. Slightly less “mitty”

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I dealt with him a while ago whilst considering a Grand Seiko homage/rip-off.

Really efficient to deal with but if you ask for something he’ll just give a yes or no answer without making a suggestion for an alternative so you can feel like you’re being a pain in the arse when you keep asking “what about xxxx, can you fit one of them to the body we decided on earlier?”

So make sure you know what you want, have pictures/model numbers etc to link to and if you want alternatives etc then specifically ask for his advice.

I’d go black and white but I have seen a white and black which looks pretty cool. Regardless of colour I’d get a sapphire crystal upgrade though.

CountZero

I bought one a couple of years ago, exactly like this one:

I thought about orange on black, but went for white (pale green) on black. Personally I really like the heavier Maratec NATO/Zulu straps, but I have a Hirsch leather strap on the Seiko SPORK that superseded it.
    Really nice little watch, the only thing I would point out is that the lume on the markers isn’t very thick, and doesn’t stay very bright, but the hands are pretty bright.

finbar
    Free Member

Sinn? Reminds me more of a B&R 01 with those orange numerals.

Wally

Arrived from Harold very quickly and well packaged- went for sapphire glass, (which added 35%ish to cost) and it sailed through – no extra charges from post office despite from Hong Kong. Had it for 2 weeks now and it has kept perfect time – within 1/2 minute. I appreciate it’s a little oddly coloured, but being colourblind and also a little odd – I like it! Very light and comfortable for an auto- forget you are wearing it, very easy to read during night rides. £135.

paulmgreen
    Free Member

Ooh…. Interesting …… What is all this Yobokies watch trickery ! who is Harold? tell me more ? Is this someone who builds watches to order ?

Wally

Google Yobokies (Seikoboy backwards) and you will find lots of individuals have nice things to say about “Harold”. He seems to be rather good at modding Seiko auto’s. The trick is to go onto his Photobucket page and flick through the 138 pages of watch mods he does, then email him “yobokies@yahoo.com.hk” and you will get a rather short – direct – yes or no and a price, with maybe some options. Yes they are all built to order. We are not talking high end auto’s here – more your very basic – yet functional Seiko 7S26 movement. Explains it well. I have also noticed the occasional ebay used ones seem to be at the same price you can buy direct from him, why? I don’t know.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Do the digits glow? Would prefer a date (or just a BR-1!). They look quite nice but tempted with a Lum Tec auto. More expensive but they just look lush, especially the amount of lume they give off when it’s dark.

Wally

No – the digits do not glow, get the green/white version CountZero has if you want glowing digits. For me it’s plenty visible enough. Date is a simple – yes or no request – same price.

ask1974
    Free Member

Mate that’s quite nice and for that price you can’t complain at all. Thanks for the info Wally.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Yobokies watches..anyone?’ is closed to new replies.