Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Yet another BMX vs MTB question.
  • rbt84
    Free Member

I’ve been toying with the idea of getting a bmx for a while now just for fun and dial in manuals etc, I recently turned 33 and having a mini pre mid life crisis lol. however after doing some research it turns out there are a couple of pump tracks local to me and a few jump spots next to my local DH tracks. So the question is do I stick with my original plan and get a BMX or would a DJ/Street MTB be the better option coming from a MTB background?

sam_underhill

I’ve often deliberated this. Probably going to pull the trigger on a dj bike for the same reasons you suggest. I think it’s a little more versatile and more relevant to the mtb skills I want to progress.

pickle
    Free Member

I’ve got a great SE Floval Flyer cruiser if you’re interested 24″ wheels.

It’s in pretty much new condition

The only thing that’s changed is the Avid arch rival has gone for the original Tektro V brake

thomthumb
    Free Member

i wanted a bmx, i got a bmx (aged 32) and i’m dead happy with it for bmx tracks/ pump tracks.

But i’m not sure how much of the manualling technicque moves across – you need to be able to ma bigger bike. Having said that i had a go on a 26″ jump bike and it was even easier to manual than the bmx….

BearBack
    Free Member

20″ bmx’s are lethal. 24″ for a much safer experience 😉
    Its enough of a challenge even trying to get to speed to hit the doubles at my local track on a cruier.. can’t imagine trying on a 20
    imo BMX are only really worth it if you have a track to ride. If Dj/Pump tracks, I’d get a 26 DJ bike.
    2 laps of the bmx track and I’m literally DONE. How my kids can ride around for hours is beyond me.

paton
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hzk4zP7uHs[/video]

letmetalktomark

I broke my RH , battered myself and broke a full face helmet back in September reliving my youth on a 20″ BMX.

I’d tell you what happened but I genuinely don’t remember 😕 And my wife wasn’t watching 😆 🙄 I was celebrating my 35th Birthday at the Olympic track.

LMTTM Jnr want to head to the local BMX track and pump track. For this I’m building up a 26″ alloy P2.

I will also be buying a full face helmet.

My tuppence, go with a 26″ wheeled bike unless you have a BMX background or bounce really well.

yossarian
    Free Member

agree with all of the above about cruisers. Far safer than 20″ and still bloody lethal if you don’t get your weight over the front/back/god knows where.

Get a full face lid. Before you even set foot on a proper track. And some body armour. Falling off hurts.

Nice floval up there. I picked up an intense podium for not unreasonable money and ride weekly with my lad and his team. I’m the oldest by 26 years! And slowest.

Bloody kids.

blackmountainsrider
    Free Member

I have both a bmx and a 26 inch dj bike.

The bmx feels amazing when you get it right. It’s very easy to manual, pump etc. It’s also unforgiving, and if you’re used to mtbs and haven’t ridden bmx before, hard to adapt to in my experience.

The dj bike is much more stable, forgiving, and feels more like a mtb. You can also use them for more than just dj and tracks, eg 4x tracks and I even ride mine up the local woods for a change.

I’d have the dj bike if I could only have one.

johnw1984
    Free Member

Started a thread recently for advice on a DJ bike. I was interested in a BMX, but figured I’d be happier with 26 inch wheels.

There’s a few pump tracks near me now, so that’s what I’m going for soon.

blackmountainsrider
    Free Member

Also, I agree, get a full face. Bmx/ pump tracks are very unforgiving places if you crash. I went over the bars recently whilst riding my bmx at the local track. I hadn’t been planning to ride there so I didn’t have gloves or a full face. If I’d have had them i would have been OK, just a bit sore. Instead I have scars on both hands, my lip and my chin.

And worst of all, 3.5 weeks ( so far) of not riding.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

yeah, hate to say it but you are too old to start afresh on a 20″ BMX. It will break you unless you’ve done it before. I’d go 26″ hardtail

flyingmonkeycorps

How much are you after for the cruiser Pickle? No idea what they’re worth, I’m skint and I don’t need one but boy, it looks fun.

Stevet1
    Free Member

have both a bmx and a 26 inch dj bike.

The bmx feels amazing when you get it right. It’s very easy to manual, pump etc. It’s also unforgiving, and if you’re used to mtbs and haven’t ridden bmx before, hard to adapt to in my experience.

The dj bike is much more stable, forgiving, and feels more like a mtb. You can also use them for more than just dj and tracks, eg 4x tracks and I even ride mine up the local woods for a change.
    This ^^^

yeah, hate to say it but you are too old to start afresh on a 20″ BMX. It will break you unless you’ve done it before.

Bit harsh, It’s not unpossible, but it will take longer to adapt. You can still transfer skills across, if you can ride a track well on a BMX then you’re bike handling skills will definitely benefit.

Depends what you will mainly be riding though, if they are groomed, smooth jump trails with landings almost as steep as the take-offs then get a BMX. if they are lumpy shoddy jumps with landings almost as an afterthought then get a 26″ mtb.

I have a 24″ DJ bike, but it’s different to a cruiser. BMX Cruisers are the worst of both worlds IMO, poor at jumping and not as fun as a 20″.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Bmx! But I love to ride park. Restarted at 37 and improving (slowly).

But tbh try both, bmx feels odd and takes a while to get accustomed to but is much manoverable. Mtb jump bike works better on crappy built trails.

Either way buy secondhand, this type of riding has a good second hand market and only a basic bike is needed. It’s one of the best points about bmx and dirt jumping. Less reason for an excuse about the bike.

wilko1999
    Free Member

I bought a BMX at age 39, about 2 years ago. Never ridden one before. I’ve ridden it a fair bit and am starting to get more confident. However, I borrowed a Two6 Player at Redhill Extreme last year and it was forkin amazing. I now want a 26″ DJ bike, big time. I think I’ll be admitting defeat a little on the BMX, but I was so much more confident on the DJ bike, having so much more fun and hitting much bigger jumps.

Haven’t got the funds for a new build, so I’m looking around for a second-hand bargain at the moment. I’ll still ride my BMX, but more for messing around with my kids at local skate parks and little pump tracks.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

yes of course its not impossible. I just think at mid 30s you would be better of spending your time on 26″ dirt jump bike than a bmx.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

BMX’s are ‘easier’ to ride, if you’re used to riding a BMX. The problem is the skills seem to transfer into MTB much easier than the other way around. Trying to trackstand a BMX at the top of a start ramp will make you look like an idiot the first time! And you’ll spend the first half hour riding round the car park crapping yourself that you’re going to have to jump on this horrible, tiny, twitchy, steep angles, small wheeled rolerskate of a bike.

Then it clicks and it’s just another bike.

It’s still much harder work to ride than a DJ bike, but it stops feeling like it’s trying to kill you.

It will make you a better MTBer though.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

How much you looking for for that? Need to get a bike for the pump track I (well, not solely) built.

pickle
    Free Member

Looking at £280 picked up from Bucks

Harry_the_Spider

I got a BMX at the age of 47.

I can show you my freshly acquired scars if you like.

rbt84
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice slightly leaning towards a DJ bike now, found this https://mafiabike.com/index.php/bikes/blackjack/blackjack-mint-jump-bike-detail probably crap but should do just to see if I enjoy it and it’s cheap.

mobes
    Free Member

ive been looking at those Mafia bikes on and off for a while. Those and the DMR Wrath. decided in the end to build up a Dialled Holeshot frame that ive had for a while instead. Building it up rigid and single speed as cheaply as possible.

Stevet1
    Free Member

I have nothing else to add except I came upon this picture and thought it’s awesomeness should be shared. You can jump pretty much anything.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I found a DMR Wrath on gumtree for £100. perfect for the Skelf park, though it does need a wee TLC. Hopefully out on later today. after I service it, clean and fettle the cX and build my Turner Sultan from the frame up. And learn 2 new songs on guitar and go to band practice…. uh-oh. Need to cook food for the week too!

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Ugh, found out why it was £100. Chain was loose so thought I’d just tension it when I got home. Tensioned it up and realised it was way too tight when turning the cranks. Huge variation in chain tension…. bent chainring. BB is gritty as hell and rear wheel too, so looks like I get to spend some extra on it… and learn all these new standards!

Stevet1
    Free Member

Is it definitely bent? Might just be badly installed, or not the correct size for the axle. Try loosening the bolt that attaches it to the crankarm (if there is one) and spinning the cranks backwards, can you get it to sit in a position where the chain tension doesn’t fluctuate too much? You will always get some tight and some loose spots, I adjust mine so that it’s reasonably tight in the tight spot, and maybe a cm of deflection in the loose spot.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Yes, significantly. Have taken it off to look.
    Got it straighter by bashing it with a hammer but it’ll need replaced.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Yet another BMX vs MTB question.’ is closed to new replies.