Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Yet another assault on a cyclist – Shere this time
  • gofasterstripes
    Free Member

That’s bloody rotten.

I see the BBC news page is running that along with the Nicole Kidman thing, and Obree’s arse-in-the-air machine.

I’m beginning to think “cyclist” is a pajorative term, and should not be used. It only supports the “us and them” image.

Everybody needs to use a bike sometimes, then we will just be people on bikes, and for example the Kidman incident would be “Nicole Kidman knocked over by guy riding bike on pavement” – it’s not the fact he’s on a bike that’s caused the accident, it’s the fact he was riding it on the pavement*.

*Into people walking, being the issue here 😉

notmyrealname
    Free Member

I think I’ll be keeping an eye out for badly driven Vauxhall Corsa’s in future when I’m out riding!

I hope they catch the driver but in reality I’d imagine they never will.

gwaelod
    Free Member

kidman was knocked over by a journalist who was riding a bike at the time.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Somebody overtook me on my bike yesterday morning, on a righthand bend on a narrow two lane road as a van went the other way. It was such shit driving that the car behind stopped and asked if I got the plate so he and I could report it to the Police with his backup. Sadly not.

Nearly Fri13th’d 🙁

takisawa2

Travelling back along the A51 yesterday & happened upon a nasty two car smash. One lane of the road blocked. Still waiting for the rozzers etc. Chap in a blue T5 decides he needs to get through so just drives down the outside sounding his horn shouting abuse, as he drove round debris etc.

There’s a really nasty type of behaviour becoming apparent these days, folk with no care for anybody but themselves, & sadly a judicial system that fails the rest of us, time & time again.

Not sure if it made national news but our local news carried the story of a girl killed on a crossing that had just changed to green, (admittedly she was on a bike) but less than a minute before the truck driver had been texting his girlfriend. He’ll spend 2 months behind bars. A tragic accident but had his full attention been on the road it was probably preventable.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Some people are shits and no mistake.

Year before last I was doing CPR on an old lady who’d been hit by a car and was forced to move cos some stupid cow needed to drive past, mounting the kerb and blaring her horn at me to shift.

However, there were also loads of folk looking to help, calling 999, etc.

I like to think that the majority are not self obsessed ****.

Trekster

There’s a really nasty type of behaviour becoming apparent these days, folk with no care for anybody but themselves, & sadly a judicial system that fails the rest of us, time & time again.

Total lack of respect for anybody, anything or authority nowadays 🙄
    just watch the Danny Mac and Askrigg vids 😉

It’s a strange thing this having incidents/accidents on bikes. Talking to some people the other day at the local bike to work breakfast and it amazed me how many have had accidents or care to avoid certain roads about town. In the 33yrs I have cycled I have only had a couple of near misses, some of the people I was talking to we’re barely 33 never mind cycled for so long!!

Sad to hear about the latest incident and obviously we are not privy to all the info. Personally I never step onto a crossing before oncoming traffic has stopped. I adopt the same strategy when turning onto a main road either in the car or on bike if oncoming traffic are indicating it may just be false/indicator not cancelled. This happened just last week.

singletrackmind

I am keeping my eyes peeled for a new shape Vauxhall Astra in poo brown . Last 3 letters on the mumber plate NWV .
    I didnt find it anywhere near as funny as you 2 idiots when your apple hit me on the back as it was launched out of your window.
    Oh how I hoped the traffic was backed up by just 2 minutes more at the traffic lights.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

There does seem to be more and more aggressive and downright nasty people driving around these days.
    But, having said that i still find many drivers to be considerate and patient with me on my daily commute, maybe because i use the lane properly, sit in the traffic at busy junctions, give people a ‘thank you’ wave when they let me out etc.

mikertroid
    Free Member

I was pootling on my local Brifleway with my iPod on (no road sections on my ride) when two scramblers hurtled past me. I stopped the next two to tell then the byway was elsewhere. Not a word from them, they force their way past wheel spinning to flick dirt at me.

There were several dog walkers just round the next corner…

Just selfish twunts in all walks of life sadly.

cookeaa

I got some utterly pointless abuse from a M/C rider the other day, he’d been sat up the are of the unusually cautious artic that had given me space and not tried to put me in the bushes on a single lane road for 1/2 a mile, just a lack of patience and an easy target, the **** was probably going to be sat behind that lorry for another mile and was clearly shite at the whole “road craft” thing.

I think its coming up to the peak season for angry motoring and road rage, its getting wetter, colder, daylight hours reducing, a bit of SADs combine that with bring a bit of a selfish cock and some individuals are just more prone to this sort of Twattery.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I was expecting a bit of rage with my close shave yesterday. The car pulled up 30m down the road and I’m thinking uh, oh! As I approache, window is lowered so I open with a quick “are you ok?” before seeing who was inside. Fortunately, the lady was more concerned about me and vice versa!!! I almost had the cheek to ask her to give me a lift but the bike was too dirty for her nice clean polo!!!

loddrik
    Free Member

Dunno what people are doing wrong but I’ve never ever had this sort of thing happen to me. But then I used to work around Shere and its full of, erm, loons… 😕

imnotverygood

Dunno what people are doing wrong but I’ve never ever had this sort of thing happen to me.

Victim blaming?

Junkyard
    Free Member

I find it impossible to believe anyone who has done any road miles anywhere let alone in a big city like Liverpool has never had a poor pass or abuse tbh so i call BS and troll.

I had a a car try and overtake me yesterday on a blind bend with double white lines and a roundabout just past it. To my left was a barrier for pedestrians, no escape route for me so i was past primary to stop them doing this. They then had to take the entire mini roundabout on the wrong side of the road. tThey then stopped to shout at me for making them do this as they could have been killed 🙄
    I explained I did not control their car etc but it is pointless bothering to debate tbh.

antigee

may be reading too much into the bbc report but looks very nasty 17yr old cyclist assume just going from a to b enrages a mid twenties driver so much that he stops and physically assaults him – words fail me

loddrik
    Free Member

I find it impossible to believe anyone who has done any road miles anywhere let alone in a big city like Liverpool has never had a poor pass or abuse tbh so i call BS and troll.

Never had anyone ever get out of their cars and threaten me or otherwise. Not once. And I’ve been riding bikes a long time.

So troll off toshack!

ajantom

Not proud of this…. but a couple of years ago a car hurtled past me, and then braked so sharply that I hit the back of Him. The bloke wound his window down and started shouting abuse at me, so I handed him his rear windscreen wiper and cycled off. About 50m down the road I turned around to have a look and he was still sat with it in his hand looking perplexed 😈

brakes
    Free Member

Assault is a far cry from a bit of handbags like you’re all talking about.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Never had anyone ever get out of their cars and threaten me or otherwise. Not once. And I’ve been riding bikes a long time.

I have seen your picture – I am not surprised by that bit but what about what I said ?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Yet another assault on a cyclist – Shere this time’ is closed to new replies.