Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • XT Crank Fail
  • slowjo
    Free Member

Wow! There’s a fair bit more metal than that on mine!

Northwind

samuri, were you making a prison shank?

cookeaa

Interesting, I’ve got the same old XT’s fitted to my DH Bike, with a bit of heel rub, not sure how I’d gauge the level of wear without taking a hacksaw to them.

Just goes to show though everyone blathered on about needing steel pedal thread inserts to make cranks sufficiently “tough” only for them to be eroded over time by riders socks…
    Probably not the predicted failure mode when they were designed…

I think I might start looking a Heli-tape for my next pair…

honourablegeorge

Wow. I think a couple of wraps of duct tape round my cransk might be in order. MAybe even a cable tie.

samuri
    Free Member

To be fair, all cranks are made for nancies as far as I’m concerned. None of them can withstand samuri-power.

Snapped Crank by Jon Wyatt, on Flickr

P1010498 by Jon Wyatt, on Flickr

crack by Jon Wyatt, on Flickr

wwaswas

*biffer alert*

😉

brakes
    Free Member

I’ve got a set of those XTs that I’ve just replaced, but they’ve gone on a spare bike that will only see light use – they’ve got plenty of heel rub on them – maybe I’ll do the ‘tap’ test to see how thin they are…

zbonty

Samuri wins for most wear-like a Rizla!

I have the same model XTs as the OP, they’re from about ’06 are’nt they?
    Mine were on my mtb, then last couple of years on the commuter. Massively polished up both sides (i only ride flat pedals).

I wonder how long they will last. Now i know what they ‘should’ be like, i wonder if they will sound thinner if i tapped them?

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘XT Crank Fail’ is closed to new replies.