Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Would you give away your last powerlink?
  • thebunk

A really kind couple gave us their only powerlink today, in return for a funsize milky way. I hope they didn’t get stranded halfway round the Skyline because of us, they saved our day.

Just posting in case they’re part of stw…

shortcut

Probably. Unlikely to be fair as I carry more then one!

Why didn’t you have one? Or fix it old school style? Mtb is about self sufficiency!

I applaud that couples generosity more concerned about your preparation.

carlosg
    Free Member

Did it in Scotland at Mabie a couple of years ago , a young couple who only had the tools to fix a puncture. removed the bust link and got them on their way.

Maybe some kind soul will help me in my hour of need one day.

GW
    Free Member

no. but it’s on my bike

i’d have fixed your chain with my chaintool

Liftman

yup, well half a link, they had one half of a link

Suggsey
    Free Member

Likewise, have given away my last powerlink once but I was running a shimano chain and had a connector pin as well 🙂

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I carry three (yes that happened once). But you could have my last: powerlink, tube, brake pads, sandwich, water or gel. Pay it forward.

Trekster

last anything for someone in distress eg my only tube and last energy bar on yesterdays ride for someone in more need than myself. I have plenty of natural energy stored 🙄

MrSmith
    Free Member

given 3 away. never needed one myself. think i have one spare left.
    i did benefit from 2 road tubes after puncturing my 2 and it being too wet to get a park patch to stick so i guess the karma evened out

sofatester
    Free Member

Powerlinks? What happened to a decent chain tool? You would need one to fix it anyway, wouldn’t you?

Please enlighten me if there is another way!

BigDummy
    Free Member

A nice man gave me one at Hit the North after I’d dropped half of mine in the grass. Thanks for that.

I would give up my last powerlink for a stranger because I burn with such a great love for mankind that I wake up blinded by the brightness of my dreams. And also because you can fix a chain without one so it’s not like laying down your life for them. 🙂

MicArms

Only if it got me a shag.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Yes given my one and only power link away in the lakes so one of my riding buddies could finish the ride with us, I now carry more than one power link.

nick1962
    Free Member

Philby

Gave my only Powerlink away on a road ride to a couple who had a snapped chain near Tintern Abbey in Wales last Summer.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have 3 powerlinks in my kit ( for repairing the tandem I might need two) so would have opne to give away but I would probably use my chaintool on their chain rather than give the link away

Dunno – when I find people with punctures I use a patch rather than giving them my tube

wassell99
    Free Member

Yeah I always carry 2 9 and 2 8 speed and as said before it all comes back in the end!!!!
    same for tubes etc!!!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

No, because I rarely carry one, just split the chain and re join it?

thebunk

Am I being dumb here? If you split and rejoin a chain using the original links isn’t it weakened? I would have done this as a last resort, with my snazzy chain tool, but I got lucky with the kindness of strangers.

Anyway, I have loads of powerlinks. I just left them at home is all… 😳

DT78
    Free Member

Yep, have done, always think when I stop to help it will be repaid by the trail gods. Once someone gave me their spare tube, after I had punctured for a third time and used both my spares…. I now carry patches too.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Depends how carefully you do it and how much pressure they shift with. SRAM chains seem more tolerant of being re-joined than Shimano too.

Since swaping to KMC chains, touch wood, I’ve not had a problem with snapping chains*, which is odd seeing as they make chains for shimano……………

*I also went rapid rise which probably helps more.

takisawa2

Yes. Karma etc.
    That “stupid gay multi-tool” that I choose to carry, has saved the day on more than one occasion also.

I had some jump leads so gave someone a jump-start at Thomas Land the other day. Cold, dark, car full of hungry kids…2 mins of our time to help them get away. Why not.

pitduck
    Free Member

yes i would 🙂

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Shimano chains don’t like rejoining at all in my experience. Even SRAM ones can be a faff to avoid a stiff link. Powerlinks are a doddle to fit once the broken link is removed, And you keep your chain length right.

GW
    Free Member

Shimano chains join just fine if you know what you’re doing.
    I once had to make a chain out of everyone’s spare links robbed from various tool boxes to get a team members bike running again at a national DH race. pretty sure the rider kept running that chain for the rest of the season and the following season in the french alps with no issues.

I always offer to help any rider that’s had a spill or mechanical but if you run presta rims you’re **** 😉

Northwind

Honestly, I’d decide if they should know better. If it’s a random family or similiar, or someone other broadcasting “noob” then sure (though there’s got to be a decent chance they’re on 7 speed or something) but if it’s some guy with all the gear, then no. If he doesn’t already know better he will by the end of the day.

backhander
    Free Member

Have done many times and will continue to. Chain failure seems to me to be the most common fault that people can’t fix. Rack up the karma points; you’ll need them one day.
    My chain tool helped a rather embarrassed senior member of the air cadets who was leading a group around the wall before they even got off the fire road.

craig1975
    Free Member

I would.. and because of this thread, from now on, ill be keeping more than one with me 🙂

MrSynthpop
    Free Member

Have done it and would do it again, partly because I’m nice like that and partly because the one time i needed one (had left chain tool and links in the wrong bag after a 4am start) I was riding solo and the only assistance I got trailside was a lecture from a rather self important woman on a hybrid who was passing about the importance of being prepared properly. She was right but dear god she was pleased with herself.

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

We were once just leaving the car park when one of our party’s rear wheel bearings came undone and we only found two balls in the mud.

We were sat pondering this when two guys came off the hill to go home. “What’s wrong?” enquired one, then handed over his full susser to a complete stranger to use for the day then drop off at his house on the way home – with instructions on where to leave it as he wouldn’t be there at the time.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Got 2 on one of my chains and have given 1 away but it wasn’t my last. I have a number kicking around the bottom of my bag.

Would i give my last away? it would depend upon where I was on the trail really, near the start, no, near the end, yes.

I’m still amazed that so many folk have never even seen one before.

maccruiskeen

gave away my whole chain last summer

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Would you give away your last powerlink?’ is closed to new replies.