Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • worn cranks – word of warning
  • ash

following on from this thread

…if you are a bit of a monkey boy like me and rub your cranks with your heels, careful because this can happen:

Jamie
    Free Member

That is what you get for wearing spurs on your steed.

Joxster
    Free Member

Gaffa tape will fix that

boobs

need another, I’ve a spare lx hollowtech 11 knocking about with no rings on it 🙂

brakes
    Free Member

so are they actually hollow inside then?

Olly
    Free Member

ive got a BIG groove in mine, been there for some time, i adjusted my cleats when i found it, so it isnt/cant wear anymore, spose one day it will conk out….

are you a pie?
    should i wonder about my portly 11st mass pushing it as a 32:18 SS?

ash

in what way is 11st portly ??

I’m probably just under 12st

simondbarnes

so are they actually hollow inside then?

Yes

Anthony
    Free Member

Hollowtech = hollow!

should i wonder about my portly 11st mass pushing it as a 32:18 SS?

32:18 hardly ‘pushing’ it 😉

Epic
    Free Member

Been drinking too much Irn-bru?

Seriously though, this is worrying. I wear my left crank arm in this way and can’t stop it as I have a very wide foot and the cleat is set at the extreme already. 🙁

racing_ralph
    Free Member

helicopter tape? raceface cranks?

RHSno2
    Free Member

I’m probably just under 12st

Probably….

MrAgreeable

That’s a bit scary, but then i think the OP is a mountain bike guide and rides more than most on here. How much use did you get out of them?

hora
    Free Member

How old are they? Design fault?

tooslow
    Free Member

Never mind the crank, your chainring bolts look a bit loose to me.
    🙂

ash

That’s a bit scary, but then i think the OP is a mountain bike guide and rides more than most on here. How much use did you get out of them?

Had them since summer ’06. How much use? hard to quantify precisely but yeah, a lot of use (500,000-ish vert metres ?)

Personally not that worried, will be more careful about wear in the future. Still think they’re great cranks (got another set)

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

This is old news. Remember people posting pictures of a snapped crank arm months ago when one of you guys posted up a home poliched crank set. You warned him how wafer thing the arms are.

Yes they are thin and heel rub will eventually wear them out. Next

z1ppy

m8 has worn his Hollowtech II left hand arm som much it’s got a crack in it, he won’t believe me when I’ve pointed it out, even though it obviously the cause of his bikes annoying creak.

and yes there been photo before.. will try and locate that thread.

ash

This is old news. Remember people posting pictures of a snapped crank arm months ago when one of you guys posted up a home poliched crank set. You warned him how wafer thing the arms are.

Yes they are thin and heel rub will eventually wear them out. Next

Yeah, sorry, bit of a waste of time giving fellow MTBers on an internet forum a heads-up about the potential dangers of wearing cranks through (bearing in mind that all members of said forum have *definitely* seen every other thread on the topic)

myfatherwasawolf
    Free Member

TheLittlestHobo

It’s not old news to me and therefore this thread is useful, what with me having a significant groove in my left-hand XT HTII.

I’ve ignored it for a while – maybe it’s new cranks time afterall!

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

is it a hone chainset. they are the same as the old LX H2 ones. They do have a rib that sticks out more than the XT one I found. THe XT onseem more flat.

As for the guy saying buy a Raceface crank. Well if the arms dont wear it will make up for all the other problems that the X type RF cranks have!

DezB
    Free Member

Oh but how FLEXY are RaceFace cranks??! 😆

No probs with my Deus except the granny ring fell off – 3 chainring bolts mysteriously missing. So if you buy one, a bit of loctite wouldn’t go amiss, maybe.

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

Where you meaning that the Raceface Deus crank is less flexy DezB? I found my Raceface cranks to be the worst cranks money could buy. 3 sets of them I had and they all flexed a lot more than Shimano XT or LX and 2 X Type Raceface ones I had broke!. Never had a problem with the Shimano H2 cranks.

DezB
    Free Member

Were you meaning that the Raceface Deus crank is less flexy DezB

I really don’t want to get into that debate!!
    But yes, they are not flexy AT ALL (to me). (my tyres are though).

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

ash & myfatherwasaewolf – i was only trying to point out thst this has been reported before and as such is old news. Possibly trying to get someone who remembers it better to find the old info and link it (As the next poster said he was going to do). It may give some info that hasnt been mentioned so far.

And as for not wanting to give people a heads up on dangerous componants, fine lets discuss ssc brake pads for the millionth time then. Get off yer bloody high horse.

richc
    Free Member

loctiting chainring bolts is a mistake you only make once.

DezB
    Free Member

Explain richc?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Explain richc?

they’re often hard enough to undo without it 🙁

(even with the rubbish bent metal tool jobby)

richc
    Free Member

because invariably when you come to undo the **** they rotate and you can’t get enough purchase on them to undo them

Last time (and I only did it once) I had to punch the **** out and snap/shatter them.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

I imagine chainrings being imprinted on knuckles 🙁

cynic-al
    Free Member

That big dent on the right of the crack in the OP’s pic – presumably this is what caused teh crank to break?

How did it happen? I’d expect a fairly big whack would be needed.

DezB
    Free Member

Richc/Simon – I’m talking granny ring bolts – they’re tightened directly into the spider.

ash

cynic-al

I see what you’re talking about, but that’s not a dent, bit of an optical illusion

thomthumb
    Free Member

yep as said above do not loctite (outer) chainring bolts – that was an evening with the dremel i did not enjoy!

cynic-al
    Free Member

furry muff ash

samuri
    Free Member

Of course, hollowtech aren’t the only crap cranks.

Truvativ

Old fashioned LX

And the latest victim from this weekend, a de-splined 105.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Bit of Araldite and gaffer tape will sort that out.

takisawa2

Pah…

samuri
    Free Member

looks stiff!

coffeeking
    Free Member

Samuri – you really are harsh on cranks arent you!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘worn cranks – word of warning’ is closed to new replies.