Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Wooden shed – Photos & Recommendations
  • andrewmoke
    Free Member

As the new house purchase is almost finalised, i need to think of a wooden shed. A few requirements:

1. Budget up to £1k
    2. Maybe something like 12×6? Enough for 3 bikes and other paraphernalia anyway
    3. Relatively secure (as secured as a wooden shed can be anyway)

Any ideas where to get it from? And photos for inspiration please…Ta.

wrightyson
    Free Member

First and foremost 12×6 is not big enough!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

First and foremost 12×6 is not big enough!

+1

If you have the skilz and inclination why not custom build something yourself?

I built this wood shed on my own over a weekend using basic tools. Total cost around £250. That would leave you £750 to make a floor and clad the sides and fit a door.

It’s still not big enough and I’m pondering an extension 😈

https://picasaweb.google.com/113038090087066024057/20120126NewWoodShed#

andrewmoke
    Free Member

Go on then..there is enough space…i just don’t need a mammoth at the end of the garden..but would like enough space for bikes, lawnmower and perhaps some space to work on the bikes etc.

andrewmoke
    Free Member

wooooo – this is for a house in London yeah?! So 80 ft garden, not an acre of land..ah, and rather untalented for that kind of stuff so…pre-build is a must..

dobo
    Free Member

mcmoonter, it took you a weekend to build that shed… takes me ages to build stuff..
    looking at your pics, it must have taken you 3 weeks to fill it with all that wood though lol

+1 for having a go yourself, but would takes ages not a weekend 😉

zippykona

Don’t know where you are but Skinners sheds in Hastings and surrounding areas did me an ace shed at a fab price. Deliver to surrey and no doubt further if need be.

matt_outandabout

I get lawnmower, strimmer, 6 bikes, bike rack and garden tools in a 8×4.
    I shuffle things about a bit, but I did not feel that an extra £500 for bigger was good value…

Konastoner
    Free Member

Here’s mine : – 6m x 4m

[/url] IMG_0001 by Konastoner, on Flickr[/img]

inside

[/url] IMG_0003 by Konastoner, on Flickr[/img]

wrightyson
    Free Member

Think it’s waltons who I last used for a pre built. I fully ignore their assembly instructions and beef a few timbers up whenever I’m putting together a pre built! One tip I found that’s worked a treat is to prop the centre of the ridge from underneath before felting because they tend to sag in the middle. Then fill the the joint where the two meet with expanding foam, I then offered a better timber to the underside of the joint and fix. This whole process makes the ridge line a lot more stable especially when clambering all over it whilst felting.
    One other tip for when felting is silicone it down and only nail where it’s gonna be covered by the next horizontal lap, stops any ingress of water around the nail puncture. As you reach the top lap from both sides roll your last piece out and form the ridge, just use silicone to fix this down. If going for this tip don’t be shy with the silicone especially on the leading edges of the lap! Hth

andrewmoke
    Free Member

Had a look at Skinners and Waltons – problem is there is plenty of people doing them, but i want something that does not look too tacky…which is hard to say by looking at websites..

Any more photos for inspiration please? Part of the weekend may have to be spent shed hunting…

wrightyson
    Free Member

The tackiness can somewhat be controlled by yourself as they mostly come in softwood format which you paint/stain to your own choice! I hate all the stupid colours you see so I just did mine in sadolin antique pine. Still looks like wood should as it were!

mavisto
    Free Member

Started looking at sheds a while ago. Came across these guys.

Harts Timber

As I’m 6’4″ I got them to make mine higher so I don’t go smacking my head every time I go in it.

jfletch
    Free Member

Tiger sheds

http://www.tigersheds.com/product_detail.asp?prod=9

8×6 is plenty to store 3 bikes, a mower and various other paraphernalia without plenty of room for access to the various bits of kit.

If you want workshop space as well it needs to be way bigger and will be flipping massive in any modest sized garden.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Wooden shed – Photos & Recommendations’ is closed to new replies.