Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Wish me luck – going tubeless tomorrow.
  • Kramer
    Free Member

Got all the kit, going to see what all the fuss is about. 😀

Finger's crossed.

Oggles
    Free Member

I hope you have got a "good" set of tyres!

(ie not trying to get a very porous set of Fire XCs to inflate and seal properly)

Northwind

I had my first crack at it tonight, turns out the old Nevegal I was using as a test tyre is made entirely out of holes.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    vinnyeh

At least you're starting on Saturday- gives you two days to crack it.

BluePalomino
    Free Member

What kit you using then?

Jamie
    Free Member

Its a piece of piss*

*If you have a UST wheelset and UST specific tyres 😉

Onzadog
    Free Member

It is a piece of pish if you understand the instuctions and take your time. Can be a bit fiddly though but is well worth the effort. Nevegals work well tubeless but they do have a rather porus sidewall so lots of side shaking is required. Another trick for porus tyres is a 20 minute ride around the block at really low (18-20 psi) pressure which sort of works the sealant into the sidewall.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I had to use a CO2 inflator for my last one after only having to use a track pump before.

So don't give up if you fail at first. It is worth it.

trailmonkey

You do realise that you are probably going to die don't you ?

Northwind

"I had to use a CO2 inflator for my last one after only having to use a track pump before."

Funnilly enough, my big problem was using too much pressure, with my old compressor- it puts the tyre on teh bead easily but it seems to just spray the sealant straight through the holes in vast quantities, doesn't actually do much sealing (the lawnmower is now punctureproof though). Need to drop the pressure on the compressor I reckon. Still, it's good fun.

(I've got UST wheels, Traversees, but for reasons which are not entirely clear I'm trying to do "ghetto" with a BMX tube on my old carrera instead.)

snaps
    Free Member

Northwind – you do realise that you're supposed to seat the tyre bead using the higher pressure, then deflate & insert the sealant so you can use a lower pressure to allow it to seal any leaks without covering the lawnmower.

Northwind

Yup- but remember this isn't a UST wheel so it has no bead to hold the tyre in place, so when it goes flat the tyre is pulling away from the rim again and needs to be reseated each time.

bear-uk
    Free Member

My fire XC's were ok, just used 6oz instead of 4oz. They are porous where the moulded writing is on the sidewalls.
    355 rims using stans tape and fluid and inflated with commpressor.
    Used for first time on Tues night. 35psi = bouncing all over place, no grip and ended up with bleeding/grazed arm (now looking for body armour)
    Next time out I will try 30 psi.

Jamie
    Free Member

You done it yet?

Trekster

Take a tube for when you get a puncture
    Just ask DeeJay 🙄

HendyTreker
    Free Member

:DNon-ust tyres(maxxis minions), on non-ust rims(xm719's), using stans kit = a doddle

scaredypants

I did a mavic something (719 maybe) today
    stan's tape to seal the rim, then 2 rounds of foam draught excluder and some cellotape to fill the void
    I imagine I'll die soon but did a bit of pad bedding on the road just now & seemed to be OK

Candodavid
    Free Member

Stans and Michelin non ust, done with a track pump. Took about 1/2 hour all in

Kramer
    Free Member

Got a Joe's kit. Rims are DT Swiss 430s, with Nobby Nics.

Not done it today, as only just back from Coed Y Brenin and the Beast. 😀

Got a really sore arse, so I'll have a go tomorrow morning, then if it takes a lot of time, it gives me an excuse not to go to Llandegla.

Jamie
    Free Member

Kramer:

Not done it today, as only just back from Coed Y Brenin and the Beast.

Got a really sore arse, so I'll have a go tomorrow morning…..

But how was the cycling?

BaDoomTish!

Kramer
    Free Member

Quite good, the singletrack that's there is good quality, but I thought that there was a lot of fire road.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

"the singletrack that's there is good quality, but I thought that there was a lot of fire road"

yeah but the gravel roads get you to the next fun bit quickly assuming you miss out the daft bit after the forest cafe and head straight for Hermon. I like almost all the MBR and Dragons back stuff – struggled a bit with the steep tight corners on Pugsly. It's much more armoured/bouldery than other places and it takes me a bit to get used to it. My mates on HTs find it a bit bone jarring, but they are old women. The old red bull disappoints me somewhat apart from mantrap and flightpath which can be sessioned easily.

adt
    Free Member

northwind what rims are you using other than the ust ?as mine dont pull away when deflated

Northwind

DDM I think, random cheap rims off an old carrera.

Kramer
    Free Member

assuming you miss out the daft bit after the forest cafe and head straight for Hermon

Unfortunately I didn't, mainly because I wanted to do the full distance. Also the views from up at the top were stunning today.

I really enjoyed Pugsley and the rest of that descent, also the final descent is pretty good as well.

Overall, I think Afan edges it.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Have done this ghetto style with two 20" tubes and Stan's solution on WTB Speeddisc and Mavic 719 rims. Took an age to persuade the bead to seal, but used our car's compressor pump to inflate the tyre. I've ridden this setup at Thetford, Coed-Y-Brenin and on my daily commute for several months.

Highly recommended, especially after I was "got" by a large hawthorn the other day in my front tyre in pitch dark.

terrahawk
    Free Member

adt – drop me an email mate – jasonm AT jmc.it

ta.

Kramer
    Free Member

Well, I've found out why the back tyre kept pinch flatting, the side walls are worn through in a couple of places. Off to buy some new tyres now.

aracer
    Free Member

so when it goes flat the tyre is pulling away from the rim again and needs to be reseated each time.

Not my experience with any of the setups I've used (various tyres on either 317s with original homemade with tape, then an Eclipse kit, or Olympic rims with yellow tape). I'd certainly always seat the tyre and then put the sealant in afterwards. Then again neither have I found Fire XCs particularly porous (maybe they've changed, it's several years since I've used one).

Kramer
    Free Member

Ok, well apart from finding out my Nobby Nics are f*cked after only three months riding on them, it was relatively straight forward once I'd gone and got myself a nice new High Roller for the front, and Advantage for the rear. 😀

Some vigorous pumping and shaking needed, but apart from that, no trouble at all.

Northwind

"I'd certainly always seat the tyre and then put the sealant in afterwards."

That's exactly what I've done- but as I say, the tyre doesn't stay seated (there's no reason it should tbh, no bead on the rim so there's nothing holding the tyre in place other than air pressure). Just tried the same on my 717s and found the exact same thing happens…

dobo
    Free Member

if you use a new tyre that can happen, but usually after about 40 or more psi of co2 to seat the tyre, the tyre stays put when you deflate it to get rid of co2 and introduce the sealant.
    if the tyre pulls in its usually not high enough psi to properly seat the tyre, or its new.
    to get round this you can pump up the tyre with a tube in overnight at 60psi to shape the tyre, it should stay on then.

Northwind

Hmm. It's an old tyre, it'd been on the same rim straight before and inflated but I'll give that a crack, see if it helps- cheers!

Kramer
    Free Member

I found that the bead slid back from the edge of the rim as soon as I deflated it, but the track pump was sufficient to get it back on again.

Northwind

I think it's possible that the holes that are giving my gyp are just a bit big, I had another crack with the pressure regulator on my compressor turned right down and the sealant seems to be trying to seal up, but not quite managing it. Might patch the tyre itself from the inside then have another go. Much more succesful but still not quite there.

Kramer
    Free Member

Ok, so the back wheel has held pressure, but the front wheel keeps going down. 🙄

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I just did a Maxxis HR 2.35 and a Adv 2.1 with sealant straight in and a C02 whatsit. They held immediately with no leakage – impressive.

I'm recommending maxxis tyres for ghettoing from now on.

Kramer
    Free Member

First ride out today, and I'm really impressed. Some rocky bridal ways at speed, but no flats, great traction, and only one tiny burp. I'd highly recommend it to anyone.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Wish me luck – going tubeless tomorrow.’ is closed to new replies.