Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Wireless Sensor Tags
  • footflaps

Ordered these a while back, but just arrived from the USA:

New Toys – Wireless Sensor Tags by brf, on Flickr

Movement sensors from: http://wirelesstag.net/index.html

I’m going to use them as part of the workshop burglar alarm, so I can sense doors opening / windows moving etc. Add in some webcams and I’ll have complete remote surveillance / monitoring.

willard

Oh my good gods…. That is awesome.

I strongly suspect that a transatlantic purchase is going to be heading my way.

footflaps

and they arrived in a UPS box with the value filled out as $20, so no VAT to pay……

Drac

Looking forward to the rate my networking thread

footflaps

They’ll also be a ‘Rate my Python code’ thread when I start scripting the burglar alarm SW!

footflaps

Not bad so far. The Wireless hub thing connects to your LAN and talks to their central server, so you don’t need a computer to run it from. You then run a client on your iPhone, Android, or Web App on a PC which talks to the server and relays the status of the tags.

You can set it to send Push notifications if a tag moves, so your phone will say ‘Tag 0 has moved’ if someone opens the front door (assuming you stick Tag 0 the front door). You can label the tags with photos / names but not sure if you can get the speech thing to say ‘Front door has been opened’….

Also not sure yet if there is a SW API you can use to access the server directly….

willard

How much did the whole caboodle cost you? Their website lists the hub thing and some tags(?) at $89, but you seem to have a bucket-load of tags, so how much was it total?

Also, how easy would they be to script? Does their website have an API that you’ve seen?

maccruiskeen

Theres definitely no way anyone is going to be able to get in to out of that shed undetected.

CountZero

Those are really nifty. I like muchly.
    Trouble is, the sort of things I lose are too small or oddly shaped to take one. Like expensive pocket knives… 😳

jmason
    Free Member

There was somone attached some of these to cats and wrote a program to post there location to twitter a while back.

Edit: found it http://tweetingcatdoor.com/

footflaps

My order was:

10x Wireless Motion Sensor Tag for $18.00 each
    1x Ethernet Tag Manager for $69.00 each

Subtotal : $249.00 USD
    Shipping : $19.99 USD
    Total : $268.99 USD

It was a bit of a punt as I just read about them in the Sunday Times tech section and thought I’d try them out. I don’t know about an API – will email the company. They have lots of settings for sensitivity to trade off speed vs battery life and I’ve only had a quick play. One drawback is the significant lag as the sensor has to flag the hub unit, which talks to the server, which sends a push notification to my phone, which beeps. You can open and close a door, then 20 seconds later get ‘Front door has opened’ sing out from the phone. Need to play some more to get a feel for how useful they really are.

footflaps

This is the Tag Manager sat on my Wifi Router:

Untitled by brf, on Flickr

A tag blue-tacked to a door:

If you open the door you get:

However, you only hear the voice say ‘Hallway door has moved’ if the App is running in the foreground – so pretty useless 99.99% of the time. It does have email / twitter notifications, so you’d need to use those to alert you if the phone was in your pocket.

Also, they don’t seem that reliable eg OH just when in and out of the hall and I only got a notification for her coming back in….

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Wireless Sensor Tags’ is closed to new replies.