Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Winterbourne Stoke, Nr Salisbury: route recommendations?
  • mikertroid
    Free Member

Looks like I'll be moving nr Winterbourne soon and was wondering if there were any decent trails there. I know the whole Plain area has plenty of XC but are there any technical trails out there?

Gravely Wood; any good? I think I saw some trails near South Tidworth; worth looking at?

Cheers!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Which Winterbourne? That's my part of the world!

The Plain is a wide open book of routes and places to ride! There's so much out there, but as you say, very little is techy! There's some good riding around the Chutes, up towards Andover, as well as lots around the Stockbridge area.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Cheers,

was wondering if Grovely wood was good; looks like there are some closely packed contours…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Anna-B
    Free Member

I love cycling in Grovely, was there Sunday and today on my bike! I tend to use it as part of a variety of larger loops which is quite easy to do from Salisbury. Grovely gets pretty boggy in Winter though. There are a few on here from Salisbury, feel free to get in touch if you want to meet up for some biking when you move.

Haven't been on the Plain much, it's all a bit open and bleak for me. Erlstoke's good though. Loads of byways and bridleways where you are, check out an OS.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Anna,

will do; it'll be about a month or so. Any winter trails in that area??

beaker

I live just south of Warminster and ride around Shearwater. It's not Afan but you can bang out a few miles. Salisbury plain is ok as well. I think some sort of group ride is going to have to be organised as there seems to be a few STW'ers around the area.

allthepies
    Free Member

The Test Valley Tour "Cool Challenge" http://www.testvalleytour.com/cool_mtb.htm might be worth a look for a marked tour of the area NW of Andover.

D28boy
    Free Member

I've entered the Cool MB Challenge myself.

CaptainFlasheart- I live in Whitchurch & would be interested to get some details on your Stockbridge trails

brassneck

The Test Valley Tour "Cool Challenge" http://www.testvalleytour.com/cool_mtb.htm might be worth a look for a marked tour of the area NW of Andover.

Get orf moi land!! 🙂

Recommend it as a great intro, but Collingbourne Woods deserves a little more time than is practical for the 300 odd riders the TVT usually attracts – there is lots of other singletrack in there.
    They also cover the old county roads and (usually in the Hot one) up on the hills around Coombe/Walbury, plenty of variety in the area.

CFH – fess up the Stockbridge trails, it's just a little further south than I make on the mtb, but I could be tempted…

am
    Free Member

As already mentioned, Collingbourne Woods and the Chutes have some good riding.
    The technical trails you've seen in South Tidworth are part of Tidworth freeride
    http://www.tidworthfreeride.info/
    which is currently off limits although there is plenty of riding elsewhere in the woods around Tidworth which can also be linked to Collingbourne Woods or out onto the plain

Anna-B
    Free Member

Don't know Winterbourne Stoke area, the winter routes I do are the same as the summer routes, with the exception of a fair bit of Grovely! Beaker, richpenny organised a Salisbury STW ride a couple of months ago, imagine he could do another! 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Sorry, no maps/GPS etc to share, just lots of time out and about on local tracks and trails!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Winterbourne Stoke, Nr Salisbury: route recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.