Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Will my short cage saint mech work with a 36t cassette?
  • Bagstard
    Free Member

As per title, running 1×9.

Chainline
    Free Member

it should do as the tensioner is not trying to cover anything like the range it would on a double. Its the range of teeth thats the restriction iirc

Bagstard
    Free Member

Sounds promising, can anyone confirm?

awh
    Free Member

Check the Shimano website, when I looked at XT mechs it listed the teeth capacity, so expect they do the same for Saint.

Mister-P
    Free Member

My colleague is running a Saint short cage with a 36T cassette and it works fine.

rondo101
    Free Member

what size ring are you intending to use up front?

Ignore that, it makes no difference as you’re using a single ring up front. Max capacity the mech needs to take up is 36-11 = 24. I’m pretty sure the short mechs have a capacity of something like 30? You’d need to make sure you shorten your chain to optimum length though (round 36t at back & ring at front – not through mech – plus 2 links).

PaulD
    Free Member

All Shimano Mountain mechs work with a 36T sprocket.
    The different cages are for total capacity of sprocket and chainring range.
    Saint is unique in having a switchable adapter to properly track a road/DH (up to 28T) or MTB (29-36T) cassette.
    It is sold/marketed as short cage for a single chairing and the medium cage for 2/3 chainrings.

PaulD

Bagstard
    Free Member

Thanks all.

CalamityJames
    Free Member

Out of interest, what 9sp cassette are you running with a 36t? Thought it was only 10sp that went to 36t?

Bagstard
    Free Member

Not got it yet, but will be buying a deore biffer for my infrequent xc rides.

PaulD
    Free Member

CJ,

Shimano do a 9-speed Deore level 12-36 that weighs well over 400g, intended for 29″ wheels. Each sprocket is complete…no spider.

PaulD

CalamityJames
    Free Member

Interesting, thanks for clarifying. Wonder if they will release an XT equivalent 12-36 then, works out cheaper than a new drivechain to get 36 rear and not have to go 1×10.

el_diablo
    Free Member
    carlosg
    Free Member

Wanna swap it for a long cage XT rd m772 ?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Will my short cage saint mech work with a 36t cassette?’ is closed to new replies.