Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Why no winter specific boots for flats?
  • avdave2

I’ve noticed a lot of posts recently where people are asking for advice on winter footwear for flat pedals and there doesn’t seem to be much out there. The AM 41, the Teva Links and water repellent Vans have been mentioned but none of them come close to the spd offerings from Shimano, Northwave, Specialized and others.

So why not – I’ve decided to try flats after 25 years of riding off road with either toe clips or spd’s and I’m really enjoying the experience and want to stick with it but there seems to be nothing out there to match my MW 80’s.
    I can understand that Shimano want to concentrate on spd shoes as they don’t want to compromise the sale of pedals but why no other options? Is it that the vast majority of riders who ride right through the winter all want spd’s?

mangoridebike

it may be that you can ride on flats in your wellys if you want to so the need for specific footwear is not so pressing

IHN

Yeah, there’s loads of ‘normal’ waterproof shoes and boots that you could use on flats.

thomthumb
    Free Member

people with flat pedals normally fat trail centre types. only take an hour to go round afan so skate shoes will be fine.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’ve been talking to a well known outdoor shoe maker about this very topic a lot recently…. 🙂 There are ideas a-forming!

avdave2

I realise that there are plenty of normal shoes or boots you could use but if you like to ride with a grippy shoe in the summer are you going to be happy with a less grippy one once your feet and pedals are covered in water and mud?

I guess the reason they are not being made is that the manufactures don’t believe there is a sufficiently large market but it has struck me how many times people have posted recently regarding winter shoes for flats.

ahwiles
    Free Member

i’d buy some.

neninja
    Free Member

I’d but a proper Gore/Event flat shoe with a higher ankle but sole suited to flats.

I wear my AM40’s year round but have to wear Sealskins with them and they can take ages to dry out.

theprawn
    Free Member

people with flat pedals

don’t you ride with flats?

passtherizla
    Free Member

what about fiveten SAR or Canyoneer?

theprawn
    Free Member
    ton

i used these with flats thru the winter.
    pretty dam near perfect.

glenh
    Free Member

I realise that there are plenty of normal shoes or boots you could use but if you like to ride with a grippy shoe in the summer are you going to be happy with a less grippy one once your feet and pedals are covered in water and mud?

I find that a cleat adds substantial grip and isn’t overly affected by water and mud.

fattatlasses
    Free Member

I had some old winter SPD boots ‘converted’ (if you can call it that!) by a resoling firm. They ground off the remains of the SPD-ey tread on the fore-foot, stuck a thin layer of EVA(?) on, then put a 5.10 dotty sole tread on. They’re not perfect, as the sole is a bit too stiff to give much feel on the pedals – but they do stay well stuck and keep my feet warm.

If you’re interested, I had ’em done ages ago at ‘Feet First’ in Chesterfield.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Mrs Ming would like some flat’s specific winter shoes.

debaser

Yeah, the 5.10 exum guides are good, but not quite perfect on the bike I have find.

Bought them mainly for walking/scrambling (which is something they are very good at) but the sole isn’t quite flat enough for my liking when I have tried them on the bike.

Will probably stick to soggy freeriders and woolly/waterproof socks for now. It’s that or switch to cleats/MT90s which sometimes happens over the winter.

Be interested to see what the manufacturers come up with.

jackthedog
    Free Member

This has been a gap in the market for years. It’ll be filled soon.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Apparently those Exum Guides are “built for use with crampons” – they must be some boot! Not sure I’d want such a stiff sole on my riding shoes, but might give them a go (if I can find a pair for under £100)

ps – dont wear crampons whilst riding.

midlifecrashes

Been riding in lightish waterproof shoes or boots on flat pedals forever, never felt any need for cycling specific shoe for summer or winter. If it’s very wet, Sealskins go on, otherwise normal socks. The gappiness around the top is the main problem with water running or wicking down your legs into the boot. The neoprene tops on the cycling boots help with that, but I’ve seen bodges with cut off Marigold Gloves that seem to do the trick.

ton

amit……….they are no stiffer than impacts and are just as grippy.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

There may be a gap in the market but it’s there for a reason – the demand profile is probably too specific to make it worthwhile for any company to enter the market.

– Must be a mountain biker
    – who lives somewhere where it’s wet/cold
    – and rides flat pedals
    – and their current needs aren’t fulfilled by Shimano/FiveTen/whoever

I’d say the market for something like this would be small.

vondally
    Free Member

Over the last 20 years of riding always used flats with lightweight ankle hiking boots usually goretex,or approach /crag shoes or Nike did a POOHbar boot. Used American football boots before as well.

For winter wool socks in there.

Flat pedals, terror pins and vibram soles win for me.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Tempted to get my old gore tex walking boots resoled with stick-e rubber by feet first in chesterfield.

avdave2

I’m happy using a combination of sealskinz and marigolds to keep my feet dry but my shoes are currently getting soaked twice a day and starting to smell pretty bad!

I see in fresh goods someone else has entered the market for spd winter boots. Is it that manufacturers feel safer to enter an already well served market rather than identifying a new one.

chakaping
    Free Member

Will probably stick to soggy freeriders and woolly/waterproof socks for now.

Exactly what I decided.

There may be a gap in the market but it’s there for a reason – the demand profile is probably too specific

Dunno about that, 5 10 do plenty of other very nichey shoes. Apparently they have a waterproof pair for flats on the way though.

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

Dunno about that, 5 10 do plenty of other very nichey shoes. Apparently they have a waterproof pair for flats on the way though.

Definitely in the market for something like that! Where is the rumour??

Cheers

munrobiker
    Free Member

people with flat pedals normally fat trail centre types. only take an hour to go round afan so skate shoes will be fine.

This.

TimCotic
    Free Member

Why not simply remove the cleats from yer current boots – or don’t fit ’em in the first place?

PS. Northwave Celcius are good too.

ahwiles
    Free Member

Why not simply remove the cleats from yer current boots – or don’t fit ’em in the first place?

because cleat-compatible shoes/boots are worse than crap on flat pedals…

PS. Northwave Celcius are good too.

yes, yes they are. not on flat pedals though.

(a Celcius ‘upper’ on an AM41 sole would be lovely)

chakaping
    Free Member

Definitely in the market for something like that! Where is the rumour??

There was a news story on STW some time ago with pics of a bewildering array of new 5 10 shoes, and in the comments people were all asking “why don’t they do a waterproof flat shoe?”.

The story author commented that they were working on one.

jackthedog
    Free Member

The manufacturers so far have assumed that SPDs are what XC riders use, and flat pedals are what gnarly hardcore types use.

So while SPD shoes have evolved into a specific style dictated by the needs of the mountain biker, flat pedal shoes still seem to be a mild evolution of skate and BMX trainers – things to be used in the city, generally in the dry, or at the very worst on a wet BMW track. In the Peak district on a January morning, skate shoe type uppers are useless.

There are lots of great cross country running shoes (from the likes of Solomon) that would do the trick for an upper. You just need a suitable sole to go with it.

Suitable sole designs exist. Suitable upper designs exist. Just put the two together.

eshershore
    Free Member

spent the three past Winters here in the UK riding XC on flat pedals wearing 5-10 Sam Hill shoes (both the 1st generation model, and for the last season, the 2nd generation model)

rain / snow / mud = no problems?

if its dry then I am wearing Merino wool ski socks

if its raining then I am wearing SealSkinz socks with Merino liners

the shoes seem quite water repellent as standard, and can be treated with Grangers to increase this performance

never got cold feet, and never had any issues with pedal grip?

edoverheels
    Free Member

I spent loads on a pair of the Shimano walking boot spd shoes and they have been superb. Four years old and still going strong. With spds you can afford to make the investment. Increasingly I ride with flats and the problems in this thread arise, I can’t be bothered to spend a lot of money on shoes for flats because I tear them apart so quickly, fine in the summer but cold and wet in the winter. Re soling may be the answer as has been mentioned. Decent boots for £100 or so and resolve them every year.

seosamh77
    Free Member

If find the idea of a cycling specific flat shoe a bit odd tbh. the whole grip thing people go on about here is overrated, you don’t need to be stuck to the peddles.

Pieface

In the 90’s I found hiking boots / gaiters / plastic toe clips fine. Why not now?

One of the main things that puts me off MTBing now I can afford decent gear is the decision about what to wear before I go out!

I appreciate that good gear is good, but once ‘fashions’ come in to play it loses all its fun – its difficult to just get on the bike and ride

TBH hiking boots / gaiters / plastic toe clips for proper winter riding is hard to beat, but apparently it looks mad / is really dangerous.

avdave2

In the 90’s I found hiking boots / gaiters / plastic toe clips fine. Why not now?

Up until a bout 3 years ago I found v brakes fine all winter but once I’d tried something better I didn’t want to go back.

The irritation is that it doesn’t need any great leap forward or even any development. There are plenty of good uppers and plenty of good soles that if combined would make a boot better than any of the compromises that people are using now.

jackthedog
    Free Member

If find the idea of a cycling specific flat shoe a bit odd tbh. the whole grip thing people go on about here is overrated, you don’t need to be stuck to the peddles.

More to it than grip. I’ve tried a few different types of shoe over the years (been riding about 15 years, never on SPDs), from approach shoes to hill running shoes to skate shoes. I’ve had skate shoes that turned into sponges, approach shoes that provide no pedal feel and hill running shoes that were the perfect solution for 3 months until the soles were shredded and tore through. Currently running some Vibram soled Merrels – great for the weather, bloody useless on the pedals.

Really am fed up of having to settle for compromise in such a basic area as winter footwear, while simultaneously free to choose between a million different shock damper settings and tyre compound/tread pattern/size combinations. I’d trade all the fancy axle paths in the world for just one decent pair of riding shoes.

It isn’t odd. It’s a glaring gap in the market. Hill running shoes with pedal friendly soles is all I’ve been waiting for, personally. Something that copes with bad weather in the Peak. In a world of 50 different headset standards, a new riding sub genre appearing every time I blink and niches being invented and turned mainstream on an almost weekly basis, it’s hard to see how flat pedal cross country riders have been overlooked. Not everybody out on the trails wants to clip in.

neninja
    Free Member

These AXO boots look like a decent possibility. Designed for riding motorbikes but with a skate style look, flat sole, Boa steel lacing system, no vents, coated leather.

http://www.axo.com/us/5to9-shoes

seosamh77
    Free Member

jackthedog – Member
    More to it than grip. I’ve tried a few different types of shoe over the years (been riding about 15 years, never on SPDs), from approach shoes to hill running shoes to skate shoes. I’ve had skate shoes that turned into sponges, approach shoes that provide no pedal feel and hill running shoes that were the perfect solution for 3 months until the soles were shredded and tore through. Currently running some Vibram soled Merrels – great for the weather, bloody useless on the pedals.

Really am fed up of having to settle for compromise in such a basic area as winter footwear, while simultaneously free to choose between a million different shock damper settings and tyre compound/tread pattern/size combinations. I’d trade all the fancy axle paths in the world for just one decent pair of riding shoes.

It isn’t odd. It’s a glaring gap in the market. Hill running shoes with pedal friendly soles is all I’ve been waiting for, personally. Something that copes with bad weather in the Peak. In a world of 50 different headset standards, a new riding sub genre appearing every time I blink and niches being invented and turned mainstream on an almost weekly basis, it’s hard to see how flat pedal cross country riders have been overlooked. Not everybody out on the trails wants to clip in.fair enough, each to their own, I don’t see anything wrong with vibram soled goretex though, perfectly fine for winter riding, and summer for that matter.

kimbers

vans do waterproof fleece lined?! winter skate shoes called weatherpack
    eg baxter
    these midtops look quite nice too

to be honest cycling specific shoes, have always been a puzzle to me, many brands that are quite capable of making stylish shoes bring out biking shoes that either look orthopaedic or football boot meets ballet shoe

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Why no winter specific boots for flats?’ is closed to new replies.